Friday, April 13, 2012

good morning!

Good morning! I just wanted to check in quick and tell you that last night's Greenhorns event was wonderful, just wonderful. Great people, great farms, great food. I got to finally see the Greenhorns Movie in its entirety and it was so inspirational. It made me proud to just be sitting with my fellow stubborn agrarians in an auditorium. I read my essay in the book Write it Down, click here if you would like to read it—and after all was done CJ and his wife helped me get my new milking stanchion into the back of the pickup. It just needs a few adjustments and then I'll post a photo of us using it soon! Right now it is the most beautiful thing in the world to me.

Oh, and there is a covered gallon of goats milk and cheese culture setting on my stove to slowly turn to curds in 12-20 hours. It got a great and inexpensive chevre kit from New England Cheese making and can't wait to drain this cheese, salt it, and spread it over bagels on Shearing Day morning!

Riding lesson with Merlin in little bit, and then some unfortunate repair work on the truck. But it has to be done, turns out you need those front wheels to stay on the axles if you want to keep moving across the landscape. Makes me appreciate horses even more.

Only 4 spots left for the next season of the CSA! If you are interested contact me soon! If you join the 2013 season your wool starts growing soon as the sheep are sheared at the Potluck on Saturday! And you are welcome to come to the Shearing Day Potluck as well. It's not a workshop, there's no money exchanged, just an open farm day to work and help out with shearing and various other projects, but it will be a lot of fun and between the food and good people it'll be a big time.

Okay, I'm off to clean out the goat pen/horse stall. Enjoy your weekends!

14 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Good morning, Jenna! I can appreciate your love for Fridays today. I'm off work today (I work a desk job at a place not too different from yours), and while I have tons of chores ahead of me, I would rather be here than anywhere else. Off to feed the chickens and ducks (including a broody one sitting on a nest - yay!) and then do the breakfast dishes. Great life, isn't it? Enjoy your day, too. :)

April 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Good mornin Jenna! Sad I have sit at my desk today, but hey, least it's Friday! Have a great shearing day and can't wait to see pics of both your new stanchion and also shearing. Let us know how your first goat cheese turns out~

April 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger DarcC said...

What time are you starting tomorrow? I am planning to come. What can I bring?

April 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Darcy!

Starting at 10AM, bring a covered dish for lunch or something to share. it can be anything, stop and pick up chips and salsa if you are in a rush!

April 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger melinamarie said...

I loved the movie. Im hoping I have time to make meatballs for the potluck. It's local organic meat from one of our mentors. LOoling forward to tomorrow,

April 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Rane said...

Sounds like an amazing evening and and amazing weekend in the works... cant wait to see how the stanchion works out and good luck on you cheese!

April 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger horsewild said...

Hello! I have a couple chicken questions for you, I have 4 young chicks probably 2 weeks old roughly, is there any way to make it so they arent always getting there water dirty, I swear I fill it up with clean water turn around and its full of stuff, and suggestions? Have a good weekend!

April 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Melina, did you see the Hogget Event we met at was in the movie!

April 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna- just wanted to say that I ordered Barnheart on Tuesday, got it today and immediately sat down and read it. I'm 24, currently living in northern WI with my parents and have a really strong case of barnheart. I read every magazine, blog, book and online article about homesteading that I can. I look at properties hoping that I will be able to afford something someday. Thank you for writing about your experience. Even though I don't know what to do next, I know someday I will have the farm/homestead I dream about. -Katlyn

April 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Melina said...

Yes I did see that the Hogget event made the movie. I remember they were filming that day. I loved that event.

April 13, 2012 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

DON'T FORGET TO KEEP THE WHEY; USE IT TO BAKE BREAD OR SOAK THE CHICKENS FEED IN IT.

April 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger Percheronrider said...

I hope you will try to get some Kefir grains and give homemade Kefir a whirl as well. You could also try a soft Kefir cheese.

April 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM  
Blogger blind irish pirate said...

The cynical side of me snorted when I read about how horses > cars, since front wheels don't fall off horses (true statement). What's also true is that cars don't get laminitis, which is a real biz. God willing and the creek don't rise.

April 14, 2012 at 3:34 AM  
OpenID oohshinyart said...

@horsewild - when my chicks get to that size and are filling up the waterer with shavings so thick they are a solid mass, I elevate the waterer on a flat round bowl about 2-3 inches tall. I've used a ceramic ramekin, a plastic pet crock and a stainless steel "coop cup" - all of which worked fine, but the coop cup seems easier to clean. Just make sure the bowl is about the diameter as the waterer (for chicks I'm usually using the small red one that fits on a quart jar) or you end up with the same problem again because the extra lip will catch shavings as the wee ones are kicking them around.

April 14, 2012 at 6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home