Tuesday, April 10, 2012

good boy

I would just like to take a moment this morning to thank my panting, filthy, exhausted, and wonderful dog, Gibson. Together we just wrangled and grabbed six frantic Freedom Rangers (and hope to catch a few more still). They were well down in the forest, hard to catch. But Gibson managed to gather and hold a few in place so I could scoop them up and put them in the crate in the back of the truck. It wasn't a pretty, but it sure was teamwork! In a little bit we'll both be driving over the mountain to Greenwich to deliver the birds to be slaughtered for the table. I took today off as a vacation day, so I have time to figure out this goat and meat bird business. So far its been a little hectic! More later!

Milk Pail Diaries Teaser: I did not cry over spilled milk.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Jenna, I have spilled many a pail of milk. And have had the goat step in a full pail too. It happens to all us milk maids at one time or another. And will happen again. It's just milk and she WILL make more.

And good for you and Gibson!! Nothing like a good morning's workout.

April 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Yep, what Kris said!

April 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Oh, I bet Gibson just LOVED it.

April 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

Goats are what I'd LOVE to have next. Not sure how much fenced in space I'd need for a couple though. Any idea?

April 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

from no rush or stress to frantic wrangling, sounds like those birds gave you and gibson a run for your money! perhaps they know whats up.

April 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Gibson is a rock star!

April 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Big Sky Chicken Ranch and Victory Garden said...

Awwwwwww, what a good boy!

April 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Ruth Dixon said...

My Bella, who is a working dog mix, but I'm not sure of her breed, helps me with my chickens. She is very gentle with them, but she gets very frustrated when they won't go the direction she wants them to go. One day she just put her paw down on one hen and looked at me like "Now what do I do?" Then hen sat there in a little shock that the dog would do that and I was able to walk up and catch her. Bella was pretty proud!

April 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

It is SO nice to have a dog that works chickens. Be happy. They don't all do it. Of the 5 BCs I own as my personal dogs (not for sale)two don't see chickens. I'm not sure about the newest pup. He's 15 months old now and I haven't seriously tried him out yet but I'm hoping he does. My oldest (and best)chicken dog is retired (doesn't want to work them anymore at 13yrs) and my other one is 7yrs old now so I need to be preparing the next generation so that I don't have to put my chickens away with a broom!

April 10, 2012 at 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home