Sunday, April 29, 2012

a day off

Good morning from Cold Antler Farm! I'm in high spirits. I'm sore from yesterday's incident and have some bruises that are smarting but I am taking it fairly easy today. The hardest physical work will include lifting the pork butt roast into the crock pot for the pulled pork sandwiches I'll be making. I have friends coming over for dinner tonight, a "planning party" of sorts. But really, all we're going to do is figure out the next steps and supply list for the horses paddock and new pole barn and try on a "real" draft work harness and collar on Jasper. Brett borrowed a small pony collar and a harness from his neck of the woods and I can test it out on Big J. Mark and Patty Wesner will come (Mark is the architect who drew that picture of Merlin's Thatch I posted a while back) and so will the Daughton Family. The boys will probably fish the bass pond and search the old dump for treasure, and us adult should enjoy a campfire or a night in. Should be fun.

The new goat, Francie, arrives this morning! She's going to have a great home here and Bonita is going to be so happy to have some caprine company. Yesterday I woke up dedicated to the New Goat Idea and even posted about it on Facebook. A few minutes on Craigslist and I found this father/son team of goat breeders who specialize in the old Swiss Alpine breed, Olberhasi. The price was right and the delivery charge (for nearly a three-hour round trip) was only twenty-five dollars. You just can't beat that.

So today is about new goats, pulled pork with cole slaw, horse harnesses, barn plans, friends, and rest. No riding today. I think I earned a day off!

14 Comments:

Blogger Odie Langley said...

So glad you didn't break anything. Bet your house will be smelling so good by this afternoon with that pork getting done. Have fun with all your activities.

April 29, 2012 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger Melina said...

I recOmmend arnica for your bruise it comes in an oil lotion or pill for at a natural food store.

April 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM  
OpenID julie said...

I have an Oberhasli and just love that breed with their beautiful coloring and sweet disposition. Her milk is sweeter and creamier than my Alpines.

April 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

What did you end up doing with your pork?

April 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I hope you have a great day and get some rest. I am so glad it's only bruises. And that you got right back on. That pulled pork sounds yummy!

And get ready for some head butting! You might see some bloody heads tonight. But they will do that to see who's gonna be the "queen". I bet Miss. Bonita will be. She's pretty big. And older? And her milk may go down a bit as well. But I'm sure they will be best buds soon enough. Have fun!

April 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

This isn't my pork, it is from the Daughton's Pig!

My pork was tossed. It was too risky to eat. I was upset.

April 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger J.D. said...

Arnica is the best!

April 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Melina said...

Oops can't type on when sleep deprived. Arnica comes in a lotion, oil or pill form. I get mine at the natural food store. I hope you have a great day . Patty and Mark certainly came into your life for a reason. I'm so glad you have them around.

April 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM  
OpenID sabazinus said...

I cannot wait to see the new goat!

April 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger delpasored said...

Glad the two of you are safe and relatively unharmed. May you next unscheduled dismount be just as soft, but a long time from now.

April 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I third the Arnica recommendation. I like the oil best. If you can get it with lavender infused it's even better.

I'm so excited for Bonita's new friend! You'd think she was coming to my house, LOL!

Sounds like you have a lovely day planned. Enjoy!

April 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I can't believe they brought her that distance to you for $25 - that's awesome!

April 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Oh, so glad you aren't too badly hurt. A day off and visiting with friends sounds great. I'm scheming for my goat!

April 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Melanie J. said...

You SO deserve that day off! Was sorry to hear about your bruises, but you should be so proud, hell, triumphant, at how you turned the situation around. Growth found in all sorts of places...

April 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home