Monday, April 9, 2012

CSA Update - New Shares Open

Shearing Day for the second year of the Wool CSA is underway on Saturday. The wool sheared will be skirted, boxed, and sent off to the mill for the people already paid and signed up for their share of wool. Folks from the very first year have been mailed their shares. Due to just three sheep and a limited number of longwools turned into skeins of yarn the first year's share turned out to offer 2 or 3 skeins of wool and 2 or three sheets of felt. Everyone who signed up has either got their packages or has them in the mail this week. It took longer than I anticipated, and for that I apologize, but not a single investor went without a return. Some farm CSAs aren't so lucky. I am am sorry the mailings took so long but am happy I have product to send. If anyone is frustrated know that I did not end up making a single dollar of profit. The wool, sheep, feed, shearing, shipping costs and milling cost three times what the shares paid. But, thanks to those shares paid I was able to buy the flock to begin with. So I consider that first year breaking even. What I lost in cash I made up for in lessons.

If you signed up for the second season of the wool CSA, your yarn is starting its journey this Saturday. If you could please email me to let me know your current mailing address and involvement in the program I would really appreciate it. I'd like to send out a postcard with some updates and dates you can expect your shares. You can expect it by late summer, and I am hoping everyone gets 2-3 skeins, felt, or roving. We may do a raffle for some extra value products like a wool rug from the pieces of blackface wool not fit for felting and such.

As tradition holds, every shearing season spots open up for the following year's CSA. If you are interested in the 2013 season of wool (meaning your shearing date is NEXT year and your wool is NEXT summer, email me for a spot). I decided to only take 12 members for 2013. My flock is too small to make 25 people content. But I can really make 12 people's year who want to both support this small farm and the entire Cold Antler Dream. It is first come, first served, so email me at Jenna@itsafarwalk.com if you would like a share in the warmth.

photo by 468photography.com

9 Comments:

Blogger TwoBlueHeelers said...

Please, could I ask how much a share costs in your wool program?

April 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

It depends on shares and people, email me for details!

April 10, 2012 at 6:05 AM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Jenna, the share I won at Antlerstock last fall, is it for this batch or the 2012/2013 round? :) Cheers!

April 10, 2012 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Jenna, the share I won at Antlerstock last fall, is it for this batch or the 2012/2013 round? :) Cheers!

April 10, 2012 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Jenna, the CSA share I won at Antlerstock last fall, is it for this batch, or the 2012/2013 round? If it's this one i need to get my knitting projects in gear! ;) Cheers!

April 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Yes! You can email me your updated mailing info, so I can get organized!

April 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

"What I lost in cash I made up for in lessons." Ain't that the truth! I need that printed on a coffee cup. :-)

April 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM  
OpenID janetgordon said...

I got my 2011 share of one skein and three sheets of felted fibres - the skein of wool can be put to immediate use, but does anyone have some suggestions as to how to process the felted fibres into somethihng useful - I am not a spinner and am stymied - the only thing I can think of is to make it into doll bed mattresses, but I'm sure there are better projects. BTW roving would be lovely for making thrummed mittens and watch caps.
Thanks for any helpful input.

April 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

Ack! I just realized my post went mental! My bad :/ lol sometimes technology-oh man! *shakes a fist!* I will email you! :D

April 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home