Monday, March 26, 2012

you can hear it in the chimney

It's as if the weather just turned around and into the wind. Last week I was lounging outside on the green grass with Gibson, looking at the first wild violets pop up and the peonies shoot fresh from the wet soil. Lettuce greens are planted in the bed outside, the garlic next to still shooting into the sun. There is a galvanized laundry tub outside and already inch-tall little lettuce sprouts are poking up, just a week or so old. I covered them with a layer of wool, raw wool draped over them gently as to not crush them. My animals might be wolves, deer, and crows but the patron saints of my garden tonight are sheep.

Inside the wood stove is lit and you can tell it is nasty out there because you can hear the wind through the wail of the chimney's draw. I was just sitting there with Gibson, feeding some chunks of wood into the little Bun Baker. I'm proud of that stove. This winter I only used 100 gallons of heating oil and 5 cords of wood (three in barter!). Since last year I used 100 gallons a month, that was quite the savings in heating costs. Wood heat is a lot more work, but feels amazing. You have to earn the comfort, and for us sadistic homesteader types, it fits.

Outside I let the flock into the baby-green pasture. If we are getting the temps they are calling for this is the last night for a bit to gorge on fresh salad. It'll take another week or so of constant sun to get it all back. It's dark out there now, but they are far from the house in the back acres near the property line and woods.

And a quick update on folks who took up the Fiddle Raffle, I am sending the first half of his down payment out Friday! I'll be lighting a candle in thanks that night. This horse is light to me, helping me in ways I haven't even realized yet. And your support has been amazingly kind. Thank you all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Tonight should be the last cold one for this spring. X fingers crossed

March 26, 2012 at 8:03 PM  
OpenID kindsofhoney said...

I so enjoy the way you write about the weather and the way you and yours live in it.

March 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Sue Steeves said...

Glad to know things are progressing and you are toasty warm tonight!

March 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger Kpatt said...

I think you have your S&M backwards. Didn't you mean, "masochistic homesteader"? LOL
Although I suppose you are being sadistic from the wood's point of view.

March 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

HALF?!!That's incredible! Congrats Jenna! Thank you for sharing with us! I look forward to your blog everyday!

March 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger J.D. said...

Oh. Lord, this wind has got to die down. My peas are under plastic and the plastic blew off even though it was secured ver strongly. Ugh!

Congrats, Jenna. We celebrate on Friday!

March 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

I'm with you on the wood heat!

March 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM  
OpenID peihome said...

Cold here, too. Nice little blizzard today!

I have a question, and excuse me if you've explained yourself earlier, but why did you choose English with Merlin?

I love riding both English and Western, but for around the farm, having that pommel to toss a rope around and tow things (even recalcitrant livestock) is very handy.

On the other hand, English is a blast. Nothing better than flying over random logs and low-lying fences. I prefer English, myself.

But with Western, you can get into fun stuff like roping and barrel-racing ...

I only catch up with your blog intermittantly, so you may already have a Western saddle, if so, whoops!

Have you seen those Australian wintec saddles? Lovely.

Have fun with Merlin. Wish I could ride (cannot due to old injury). Nothing better than heading out for the day on trails and leaving all your concerns behind.

March 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger tips said...

Propello Innovations Private Limited,the innovations of modern technology brand products like kitchen chimney in kolkata,kitchen chimney dealers in kolkata.we also provide (RO)reverse osmosis water purifier in kolkata ,orrisa & guwahati

kitchen chimney brands in kolkata

March 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home