Thursday, March 8, 2012

yes, chacos.

I am writing this in a pair of Chacos. You know why? Because it is over 60 degrees out there and once I hit the big 6-0 I go unshod as much as possible. In the house, under my desk at work, in the yard. There was a time in my life when stepping in chicken poo barefoot might have bothered me a little. Now I just rinse it off in the artesian well and keep walking.

Farmers and gardeners across America are thrilled about Saturday night. We all get one more hour of light in our workweek, well worth the hour put in at waking. To come home from the office on a sunny April day and know I have an hour and a half of daylight is a gift. Time to work on the garden turning, screw together a new raised bed, or even just walk my two old dogs down our country mountain road at sunset.

Tomorrow Merlin and I have our first lesson as a team, a riding instructor will watch us, comment, help, and jump on to show me what's up if I don't get it. I've been riding him all by my lonesome (meaning, without a professional there) and I can not express here how mildly terrifying/exhilarating it was mounting up that first time on my on Friday afternoon. I had always, even back in college on the Equestrian Team (I was in the Walk/Trot class), an instructor was there to double check the tack, saddle, girth, and watch me mount. Friday I tacked Merlin up myself, walked him into the arena myself, and stepped up on that mounting block myself while he shuffled his feet. And after 3 or 4 courage-less attempts just got on him. When I was seated and my hands were on the reins he walked gently forward. And that, my dear friends, was the real start of our relationship as horse and rider.

No riding today, however. I have an appointment after work and between the offices I won't have time. But Jon Katz said he'd tag along with me tomorrow to meet Merlin the Magic Pony and I look forward to introducing them to each other.

This warm weather has me thinking about thunderstorms, banjos, seedlings, and lambs...I will be prepared for lambs, supply wise. But I don't think I will have any. I don't think Atlas did the job, but I hope I am wrong. Even a few lambs would be great. They are worth their weight in barter like nothing else on this farm. You can trade a ram lamb for all sorts of stuff! (i.e. custom barn doors, 3 months of hay, and pony shed construction!).

Tonight looks like rain. I welcome it. I'll open the windows, tune up the 5-string, and play Down in the Willow Gardens. That's a fine night.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Don't you just loovvee spring? Been cleaning out closets today and thinking about what all I want to paint! Ha! I just loovvee spring!
Happy for you Jenna.

March 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger Farmlady Wannabe said...

Oh,Please, please, please, send some of that warmth to the far Pacific Northwest coast.

Jon Katz, his camera, Merlin and You tomorrow! Looking forward to a happy blog and a few photos about that tomorrow!

March 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Why have I never heard of Chacos? Never mind, Google to the rescue...

I love the title Merlin the Magic Pony. I expect you to have dreams of him sprouting wings and carrying you and Gibson to a sheep field in Ireland. :) I too am looking forward to yours and Jon's separate perspectives on the meet 'n' greet.

March 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger becky3086 said...

I have to agree, it will be nice to have some light when I drive home.

March 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger CarolG. said...

I have to say I LOATHE daylight savings time. I learned to tell time by the sun when I was young and I find my internal clock always is disrupted for at least a month after a time change. Yours is the first reasonable explanation for liking daylight savings time I have encountered. It just doesn't help factory or office workers much because they are traveling to the dark at one end or the other of the day in the winter.

March 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Wow, you've got great March weather this year! I love thunder storms too, but could do with out the tornadoes we've been having here...Man I miss N.Y!

Chicken poop doesn't bother me anymore either. I wear flip flops to clean our coop in the summer. I just keep a spray bottle filled with Apple Cider Vinegar by the door, and spray my feet when I come in the house.

March 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Man, it started out at 70 here this morning and dropped to 50 in about half an hour. Now it's 45 degrees. Did you stand in your doorway and blow some cold air south or what? ;-)

March 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Also, thanks for the heads up about Daylight Savings - I actually had NO idea it was this weekend! Other things on my mind and all...

March 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

Wheee!Spring!! :D It was 65 degrees over here in my neck of the woods, today! We just won't mentioned that it snowed two days ago.... ;)

March 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM  
OpenID meatbagz said...

Have you heard of "Hebron Time"? I don't know if they still stick to it, but when my grandfather was a boy in Hebron they refused to follow daylight savings time because it made such a mess of the cows' schedules/milking. I always think of that/him whenever it comes time to change the clocks!

March 9, 2012 at 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home