Saturday, March 24, 2012

preparing for the day

In a few hours this house will be filled with energetic and excited people. We'll learn to bake bread from scratch, make cheese from milk, plant seedlings and discuss chickens and rabbits with chicks and bunnies in our hands. The house is filled with the smells of bread rising and baking, meat cooking slow, and a bit of wood smoke. I lit the stove and opened the windows, giving us all a feeling of campfires glow and warmth as the sheep face the rain on the hill. It'll be a great workshop, and I can not wait to start it!

Outside there are shoots of new grass, lettuce sprouting in the containers outside the front door, and a pony full of piss and vinegar. I'm about to head out and get everyone ready for the day, fed and happy. I hope I beat the rain. And I hope the 30-bale order of green hay I made does, too!

7 Comments:

Blogger phaedra96 said...

Hope you all have a fun-filled day!

March 24, 2012 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

Have fun, everyone!

March 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I had to work today, but wish we could be there. Hope it went/is going well! :)

March 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM  
OpenID janetgordon said...

I hope your day was as great as it looked like being and that your hay got safely undercover before rain.
I want to make a point to some of your readers who seem not to realize that one woman on
six or seven acres of mostly pasturage, will be abl to produce enough food to support a household with some left over for barter. This type of acreage cannot support many grazing animsls and cannot grow sufficient hay to winter the animals over. You are doing well to maintain a small flock of sheep for a small wool csa. Outside sources must be found, as you have with workshops, writing and off farm employment to cover improving your small holding, and meeting all other expenses. I completely understand the direction you are taking.
Also, if you decide to keep a pony you can ride as well as work in your leisure time, I understand your need to do this too - you go girl!

March 24, 2012 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Firecracker Farm said...

Your workshops are always the greatest. Can't wait to hear about it!

March 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Yes, can’t wait to hear about how Urban Homesteading went—fantastic topic!

March 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

Hope y'all had a great time. Someday I will take a workshop like that. Wish I wasn't so far away from CAF.

March 25, 2012 at 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home