Friday, March 2, 2012

magic happens

I am not above internet thrift-store shopping. It's the only way to go, really. I have bought a lot of good clothing off eBay used, perfectly serviceable, for a few dollars. Today after I returned from dropping off Merlin at the riding stable a package was at my front door. It was the gently-used black Irish Fisherman's Wool sweater I had won in some last minute bid for a few bucks. I had forgotten about it. I pulled it out of the box and smiled like a playwright smiles. Was this supposed to happen too? Was today just a series of good luck and random chance, or was it all the magic of Merlin? I decided it was the later, and threw it on over my henley to wear out the door. What could be more appropriate for the inaugural solo ride on my own saddle horse than a wool sweater from the same continent as him? Surely shepherds have been wearing heavy wool sweaters on the back of Fells since time out of mind. And while I wouldn't look as sleek as the sport horses and their riders in fancy synthetic jackets and fleeces fit to their lean bodies, I had no qualms.

Merlin and I were a pair. Both of us a little old fashioned, doughy, and out of shape. We dressed and looked like shepherds, not Olympians. I was going to be tacking him up with a borrowed saddle and girth, an array of tag-sale horse grooming supplies I bought for a dollar a piece, and it would not look very professional in its little red bucket with a bumpersticker slapped on it that says "Ride a Draft, your butt looks smaller..." But a spring of teamwork will find us both in a better place, a transformed one. I know this because I have no doubt in my mind this pony is magic. Not white rabbits and top hats magic, but that old magic still running through the dreamer's heart and out past the forests in clear streams. You find a way to tap into it and anything is possible and this horse, this Merlin, might be a magician of that old sort after all...

When I talk about the magic of Merlin, this is what I am talking about: When I saw the ad in the Albany Craigslist, I posted it on Facebook. I posted it more as a joke than anything else. There was a picture of Merlin and then the huge sticker price and I said something along the lines of "Anyone have 8 grand I could borrow?!" and left it at that. And then a reader told me, "It's a long shot but email them with a lower counter offer. The horse market isn't what it used to be..." And when I saw that comment some sprocket in my heart clicked into place...

So I emailed this impossible horse's owner and told her about me, my Fell Pony dreams, my farm, my plans to ride and drive him. I told her everything and asked if we could work something out? A lower price maybe? A payment plan? A free lease? And she wrote back with charm and grace, introducing herself that the right home was more important than anything. That she loved that pony too, he was her dream pony... And I think she saw a little of her starry-eyed self in me and told me to come see him and we could talk terms. This is when I told you all about him, and when people started the whole conversation that caused such a ruckus.

I saw him. I fell in love with him like I always do, hard and fast and certain - but only when it is dead right. Then as I drove home with Patty, I told her it could maybe happen and after hearing my Big Plans she smiled like a fox and said. "Hell. You only live once..." and if there was a way to sew up my certainty, that was it.

So up to this point all I did was look for the horse, ask for the horse, then went and saw the horse. That night I prayed and thought, and prayed more, and then I decided in my heart and out loud that if I was the right woman for him, and he the right horse for me, then we'd become a team. The next morning I sent his owner a heartfelt and honest letter. I told her what I could afford. I told her I wanted to try a three-month free lease. And I told her if the vet, farrier, trainers, and myself felt he was right I would buy him with a down payment June first and then make small payments for two years till he was legally mine.

And she agreed to all of my terms. Now that's magic...

So we wrote up a contract and set a pickup date and today was it. Patty and I had hitched up her trailer the night before and her Highlander (how appropriate) was ready to haul him to the stables. Two new friends, Elizabeth and Weez, drove up from the Berkshires to meet him and enjoy the frenzy.

He needed some shots first, though. We were already running late for our appointment, but the vet said it was okay when I called (more magic) and So the vet let us pull right up for drive through service and drew blood, gave him his rabies, five-way, and West Nile shots. He didn't even charge for a visit, just the cheap rate of the syringes. I was shocked at the low price (more magic). Then we unloaded him at Hollie McNeil's Riding Right Farm and Andrea, second in command of the grand dressage barn met us at the door. We unloaded him and took him right to his stall (number two, like my lucky crows!) and went through the paperwork. It was like dropping off your kid at his first day of school, the questions and forms. Any allergies? What should we not feed him? How does he get along with others? Any vices? etc. And I wrote the check with a grin because (and here is some more magic) it was unexpected income covering his first month of training and boarding. We got a small surprise bonus at work and it was enough to cover his first month. Which means up to this point I had not spent any of my own planned money but the small vet bill. Earlier this week I found out my royalty check for my three books would cover the second month of boarding! It was all falling into place, almost to the point where none of us thought anything could possibly go wrong. I think Patty was certain if she pushed him off a cliff he's sprout wings and shit rainbows by this point.

When all the paperwork and conversations about training, boarding rules (I can ride him whenever I want in their indoor arena!), and such we turned him out into his own little pasture by the main road. I drove off talking to him through a rolled down window. I told him I would be back soon. I was on his back a few hours later, as promised...

It was magic, this whole thing has literally brought me to my knees crying with awe, luck and grattitude. A few weeks ago he was an ad online, a pipe dream. Now his name is below mine on a stall 2. I just spent an hour brushing, hoof picking, and petting his head. I will hang two wooden crows by his name. No one will know they mean magic, his magic, but I will.

And why is a homesteading blog about a small farmer going into all this pony dream business? Well, because the point I want to get across is this magic is not just mine and Merlin's. It is all of ours. It lives in our prayers, in our churches, in our hopes and secret dreams. You find a way to let it out through hard work and positive thoughts and it doesn't matter if you're a Baptist or a Buddhist, it will manifest for you. Magic isn't about religion at all. It is about hope. It's alive in my grandmother's rosary, a Tibetan Sand Mandala and the Amish benches being unloaded for Sunday Service. It is real. For the taking. Blessed as the day.

Magic is kind desire, without any baneful intentions, coming true. I want those of you reading about a girl and horse to know that whatever your Merlin is, be it a vintage tractor, a mortgage, a new baby, anything, it is possible when you believe it is possible. You follow what you love with all you have to offer it and the world makes a road for you.

I believe in Magic because it is good for my soul. It gave me a horse I only knew in storybooks. It gave me a farm. It gave me you. Someday it'll give me strong arms and a heartbeat to fall asleep against. I'm certain of that, as much as the black mane I brushed and kissed tonight. I'll keep the faith and I'll wait for the man—but I'm riding that pony tomorrow morning in the stall with two black crows and thank the ground we walk on for the gift. No one in that barn will savor it like I will.

Hot dang. Life's one beautiful ride, innit?

photos by pw

79 Comments:

OpenID jessieimproved said...

Yes. Don't ever lose the old magic.

March 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM  
OpenID outdoors1968 said...

Another wonderful post, Jenna!

So often in our lives, we allow naysayers to tell us what we won't be able to accomplish. Worse yet, so many of us (most of us, really) allow ourselves to believe "them" when they say it can't be done, won't happen, and so on.

But we are not really limited by other people, even though we often believe this untruth. The only thing limiting us as far as our dreams go, is our own thinking.

Congrats on getting that pony, you make a fine pair and will surely build many memories. Memories that will be something to smile about some day when you're on your deathbed.

Beats the hell outta regrets and "what if's", eh?

March 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

Just another example that if you want something bad enough and it was meant to be, you will make it happen. It sounds like the 2 crows will be a new sign to watch for when something wonderful is about to happen. This was not luck that brought you & Merlin together ~ it was pure magic.
Best wishes to you & Merlin.

March 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

I am in tears right now. I am happy for you, I am grateful to see someone else who gets it. The possibilities are endless but you have to dare to dream and keep trying. Thank you for your blog.

March 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Kelsie said...

So wonderful! He has such kind eyes. Definitely an old soul. I adore this story, I adore this blog, and I adore Merlin.

Reading this tale of ongoing magic has restored hope that I can bring back the magic that used to be so apparent in MY life. I truly, truly believe in it...but the past couple of years have been incredibly emotional and difficult for a whole parade of reasons. This culminated in last year's garden (the center of magic, for me) being almost a failure--something that has never happened. My heart just wasn't in it. The magic just wasn't there. I'm trying to reclaim that magic...and your blog has given me the surge of confidence I need. <3

March 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger J.D. said...

Merlin has a wisdom that's indescribable. I look forward to learning all he teaches you. Thumbs up, sit deep, heels down...go!

March 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Here's to magic and all the goodness it brings! Happy day indeed! Karen from CT

March 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Congratulations! I don't believe in any sense that "if you believe it it's yours," but I definitely can go with something like: if you don't step out on a limb, you'll never know if it would have held you. And sometimes things are just perfect. I know all the biggest happinesses in my life have happened only because I've gone against conventional wisdom and wished for something to happen.

March 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I so needed to read your magical manifesting post tonight! I truly believe that if we dream it...we can live it, but sometimes we lose our way. You and Merlin are inspiring me to believe again!!
I'm so happy for you!
Grin!!
Courtney

March 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Sue Steeves said...

Hope you guys had a great ride tonight!

March 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Weez said...

My heart is filled with the magic of the whole day. Thank you for letting us share it with you.

March 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

What a fantastic post, Jenna. Thank you for it.

March 2, 2012 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Catharine said...

I've been feeling lost. Your post renewed my hope for my dreams. Thank you for all you do. Give Magic Merlin a carrot and a hug for me.

March 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

You made me tear up. I'm so happy he's come home with you. And praise be the magic.

March 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Your story keeps getting better and better. And as you talk about magic, I can only think of the great, long tradition of magic in Celtic tradition. Of course Merlin's brought you magic!

March 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger Rosalyn said...

What a beautiful way to express your story. Congratulations on your new love!

March 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Jenna, what a beauty! Wish one day I could meet him and you in person. You had faith and God is good. I'm so happy for you. The Lord has been good to you and He wants you to succeed. ;>))

March 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Miriam said...

Once again you show us what astounding things can be accomplished with grit and determination and love and a dream. I'm really, really happy for you.

March 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger pawsfurme said...

Without a doubt in my mind or heart I completely agree with you. Maybe it was some of Merlin's magic reaching out, or maybe it was my own summoned by the joy of seeing yours come true, but one of my dreams has also come true. I have dreamed for 8 years, and tried over and over again for 5 to buy a professionally built mobile grooming bus by Wag'N Tails Conversions and after 5 years of trying, I was approved last week. I pick up my "new" (actually used) baby either next week or in 3 weeks depending on the timing of my goat's birthing schedule this week. Like you, I knew without a doubt that I would someday own one of these vehicles. I lost out on the savings I had made for a house/farm down payment in order to get it, but that can be rebuilt. Dreams, prayer, and patience will answer what we need.
Congratulations, Jenna. I can truly understand your joy because I am feeling exactly the same, right now.

March 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Joseph Campbell says

If you follow your bliss, doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else.

March 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Jenna, Merlin’s yours like perfect poetry! Love your “definition” of magic. Am a believer!

@Kelsie I’m with you—sometimes the magic seems elusive and it can take a toll on the spirit when it can’t be found for a spell. Cold Antler is often “a pep talk” for me too!

March 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Beautiful!

March 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Kayla said...

Welcome to the barn! You met my dad this afternoon, it took him a minute to put two and two together, I'm always telling him about one of your posts! We have your neighbor horse Maya (very personable creature she is, though she will squeal at Merlin-sorry) . I also have Biggie, the wee pony down the hall a bit. Congratulations on Merlin, you'll both do great things! I love adults on ponies, I wouldn't have any other way :) If you need any pony goodies we have amassed quite a collection over the years and happy to share.

March 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Paulette said...

I am so pleased that Merlin is now yours.

A couple of days ago, I took a personal leap, and did something that required some bravery. I thought: What would Jenna do? Truly, your courage is infectious.

Thank you for believing.

March 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Megan, Rudy's mom said...

I'm in tears too for you! YEAH! After so much pain lately you got your silver lining!

March 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Katie Swanberg said...

Congratulations Jenna! I love the magic surrounding Merlin, and I love that you believe in it - it is truly there. You attract it by believing in it!

As for any naysayers, "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f*** you were going to do anyway." -Robert Downey Jr.

PS - HE is out there too, you're right.

March 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger feathers217 said...

Girl you should have started this blog with "get your kleenex". I can't remember when I have read such heartfelt , loving & kind words from anyone in a long time. I go through my days repeating "you just have to keep believing" , just as my Grandmaother taught me. It's so true , you can't give into what others tell you , you have to find it and make it happen for yourself.I do applaude you Sweet Jenna , you keep the hope alive in us all. Congrats to you & Merlin and for staying the course & believing.

March 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thank you all!

March 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Kayla! I did meet your dad! He was very gracious and friendly. He cut me and Merlin the wide berth we needed. Merlin hasn't been ridden at all these past 8 months or so (save for our visit to see him) and I am out of practice riding. But today was my first time ever tacking up alone, walking into the arena alone (I yelled DOOR! like Hollie!) and then mounting. (This took a few times, due to my courage lacking) But I got on his back, walked around in weird snake patterns. Got scared. He trotted weird. It was a "first time" practice. But I damn well got up on that horse, a few times. And when a mom of one of the lesson kids saw my nerves she offered to walk by the pony, and he was much calmer. Such a kind gesture.

I'll get better. I consider it a success since I got him dressed, showed up at the ball, and danced. Even if it was a quick, weird, dance. I'll get better!

March 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Can I have Robert Downey Jr. Please?

March 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Have you read The Alchemist? I think you would really enjoy it, especially now. Your post reminded me of it- it's my favourite book.

March 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger E said...

I hope you have a long, wonderful relationship with Merlin.


"a new baby, anything, it is possible when you believe it is possible. " - that's quite a statement. Many, many childless folks would cry at your naive words.

March 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

What beautiful images your words today have created for me -- deep glens, narrow rushing brooks icy cold, a lepruchan or two and surely some fairy dust. Your post has given me the confidence to make some magic for myself, to step outside my comfort zone and go forward with a project I have contemplated for months. Even as I decided to go forward, I received a very good sign which reinforced my decision. Thanks for reminding me about the magic.

March 3, 2012 at 1:53 AM  
Blogger Bovey Belle said...

I'm glad he's with you. There's an old saying over here in the UK, "If it's meant for you, it won't go by you" and so I'm guessing Merlin was meant to be yours.

March 3, 2012 at 2:20 AM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

Damn you girl! you nearly owe me a new laptop! when I read ***I think Patty was certain if she pushed him off a cliff he's sprout wings and shit rainbows by this point. *** I spat my morning earl grey all over the thing!!! I laughed out loud SO hard my daughters came running to see what was up!! I read them your post(changed shit to poo hahaha) Their response? wow mummy that lady is like us x which is a huge compliment to me lol! So you made me laugh and you brought tears of understanding at the same time.

The world is blessed to have strong independant women in it. Thankyou for such a lovely post
GTM x xx

March 3, 2012 at 4:47 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

Oh Jenna. I needed to read that today. I believe in magic too. The kind you make with God's help.
Anything is possible, if you just believe.
Continued blessings, farmer.

March 3, 2012 at 5:54 AM  
Blogger Coco said...

Congratulations Jenna! And thank you for the continuing inspiration and courage, leading by example and the gift of putting it all together in words.

March 3, 2012 at 6:06 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 3, 2012 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger Kate Mary Betty said...

So true Jenna! We all make our own magic...we hold it in our own hands...we make it so...

Well said...

KJ - Windwomen Farm

March 3, 2012 at 7:24 AM  
Blogger phaedra96 said...

The magic is in believing you can and making sure you will. He is gorgeous and really, so are you. Have at it.

March 3, 2012 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

I'm so happy for you Jenna!!

March 3, 2012 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Wonderful post, Jenna! I am so happy for you and happy to have found your blog through Bedlam Farm's blog and Jon Katz. Blessings on you, Merlin, your farm, hopes and dreams. And thanks for helping to keep mine alive. Rose

March 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM  
OpenID meatbagz said...

Hot dang, indeed! Seeing the magic that yes, is everywhere, is a rare and wonderful thing. Thanks for reminding me to keep my eyes open...

-Kate

March 3, 2012 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Raining Iguanas said...

What Rose said.

March 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger PansWife said...

Too bad it's not as easy to find a good man as it is to find a good horse. Wishing both you and Merlin a great partnership,

March 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Congrats! I really think we largely make our own reality, and this is an excellent example. Merlin may be magic, but he wouldn't be yours if you hadn't taken the chance and asked for something that wasn't offered. Someone told me long ago that no one will give you anything you haven't asked for.

From a practical standpoint, I have a habit (and wonder if others do the same) of pricing my animals on the high side specifically because I want to draw serious buyers that will treat them well. I know there are many caring animal lovers out there who are on a budget but as a seller, it's sometimes the easiest way to cut through the "riff raff". If someone like you came to me the way you approached Merlin's owner, I'd most certainly negotiate. So the rest of you, keep that in mind when you're "window shopping" and always ask!

March 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM  
OpenID crazymom2011 said...

I just read your book Barnheart and am now an official fan! I also nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. Hope you don't mind. Keep up the good work!
http://justmakethecoffee.com/2012/03/03/the-versatile-blogger/

March 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM  
OpenID eileensbasement said...

Oh he's lovely. Thanks for such a wonderful and inspirational post. Have fun girl, you deserve it!

March 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger PattyW said...

OMG another connection - love that man - id conjure him up for you if I could and live vicariously through you! Fantasy Man!

March 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Gramma Phyllis said...

Jenna, what you wrote today could be summed up in one of my favorite quotes from Corrie Ten Boom."Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." You have faith in yourself and Merlin is the result. Keep the faith girl and only God knows where you will land.

March 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Betsy said...

Hi Jenna,

I read Made From Scratch about two years ago and am currently reading Barnheart. I have rediscovered your website, and after reading this post, I have to say that you inspire me like no one else. You make me believe my dreams can come true. I bought a fiddle after reading your first book, but I let it sit after a few tries because I thought I couldn't do it. Last night I e-mailed a local person who give fiddle lessons. I'm tired of thinking I can't do it. Your enthusiasm is catching! I only wish I had followed my dreams when I was your age. I guess it's never too late, even at 51. My goal is to have a small farm within the next couple of years. I know it's going to be hard work, but I know it can be done and the results will be so worth it.

Betsy

March 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Gramma Phyllis said...

Jenna, what you wrote today could be summed up in one of my favorite quotes from Corrie Ten Boom."Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." You have faith in yourself and Merlin is the result. Keep the faith girl and only God knows where you will land.

March 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

And God bless you both !

March 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the hope and inspiration! I can't tell you how much I needed to read that today! Blessings on you and all of yours!

March 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Crit said...

That was just beautiful! Truly inspiring and encouraging :)

March 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger DarcC said...

So happy for you and Merlin!

March 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger windhaven farm said...

Well you know, cars cost a lot more money, fail more often, don't hardly last very long and no one thinks twice about dropping 3 times as much on a dumb car than a decent wonderful quality animal.

Even if he was 8 grand, it's still a great price for a friend, a companion, a workmate, a great hobby, a social magnet, a wonderful read for all your fans and so much more. And God willing he'll be around for years and years and years! He'll be educating newbies with your wonderful writing, memories and encounters, and he'll be teaching the locals about his breed as an ambassador. And he will become Jasper's best buddy and herd mate. How can you really put a price on that?

I see folks ALL the time spent that and more on a motorcycle or a RV or hobbies... and in the end, they usually end up selling it on Craig's List and barely using the thing for this reason or another. I just can't see ANYONE ignoring this handsome beast if they owned him! I would want to move my sleeping bed down there and hang out alllllll the time!!!

Best wishes to you and your Magic Man... I see a book in the making... a girl and her pony learning the ropes of draft life!!! Heck Yah, write it and let him help pay for his room and board with fans, royalties and helping out other equines to match up with their perfect partners too!!!

Cody Pony sends his love!!

March 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger shepherdkelly said...

I'm so happy for you!I have to say I just want to braid his hair!haha

March 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

What can I say. You're a wonderful writer, a wonderful person. I'm so happy for you.

An admirer from Maine

March 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

What can I say --you're a wonderful writer and a wonderful person!

An admirer from Maine!

March 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Erin Frase said...

Jenna,

Keep doing what you're doing and thanks so much for sharing the adventure with us. I bet that most of us wished and wished (however impractically) for the Christmas pony, and it's even better when you get one through hard work and the power of your own dreams. Now that you've actually put it out there for all the world to see, would somebody Robert Downey-ish suffice? He's out there. Don't give up,

March 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger shepherdkelly said...

I'm so happy for you!I have to say I just want to braid his hair!haha

March 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Again congratulations Jenna. So happy for you and your fell.

March 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

March 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Plant City Homestead said...

Can't wait to read stories about your beautiful boy. Your joy is contagious. Thanks for sharing.

March 3, 2012 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Kimberlie Ott said...

With strains of Loreena Mckenette playing in my head, the Irish and the Indian me whooped and hollored for you! Congrats and Welcome Merlin, welcome dreams~

March 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger Kayla said...

You did really well today! If you need it my email is muddyponies@gmail.com I'm down for the ol' info barter system :) Stick to your guns, what starts on the ground goes to the saddle.

March 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Carole said...

Thank you. I agree completely. :-)

March 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Jenna - great news, I am thrilled for you and this post nearly brought me to tears. I cannot wait to see all that unfolds for you and Merlin. You are an encouragement every day to this 54-year-old woman who has never quite taken a chance on a dream. Thank you.

@windhaven - couldn't agree more. Wonderful comment.

March 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM  
Blogger Christee said...

I have got tears in my eyes right now with your intense words of encouragement! Thank you because what you said is something that I really needed to feel and to feel. Thanks a million Jenna!

March 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger christa said...

This ia beautiful post jenna! I too believe in magic.

March 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Congratulations! He is perfect.

March 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger celticali said...

I am so happy for you...I totally believe in magic nave been feeling it over the last few days myself. ..
I have a husband who has been seriously Ill for over a year now, as a result of brain surgery...docs have always been doom and gloom,but i always believed my beautiful "Braveheart", would get better and he has very slowly been improving,but in the last 3 or 4 days there has been significant improvements,so I am well delighted and filled wi gratitude.
I wanted to reach out to you and let you know, many nights I come home from hospital exhausted hit the sack and read you're blog...I love it,I look forward to it,so Thanks and again...enjoy Merlin...Alanna

March 4, 2012 at 2:07 AM  
Blogger Beegirl said...

I just wanted to say thank you. I needed a little bit of magic today. Thank you for encouraging us as you make your own dreams come true. Congratulations!

March 4, 2012 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger damnyankee said...

Well, now you're hooked. A horse woman for life. Congrats Jenna. And isn't Merlin lucky to have you.

March 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger downeast becka said...

ahhhhh, jenna, i have chills all over my body; i was reading your post while this american life played in the background, i realized i couldn't focus on both and i needed to focus on your post with just some lovely music, put on pandora without even looking at who it was: gregory with the Stable Song, which you introduced me to! kismet, Merlin is magic for you, may we all find our magic...

March 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger downeast becka said...

Ps...true that maybe not all people who want babies will be able to birth them themselves, but if they want them bad enough, they will find a way (foster, adopt, be with children)

March 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Victoria Cummings said...

WIth Merlin as your partner, you've just entered into a relationship that will change your life. Thirteen years ago, I gave myself the horse that I'd always dreamed of and it was the best thing I've ever done. Silk and I have been through more than I could ever imagine, traveled across the country together and now, she and her daughter, SIete, are in my backyard still reminding me everyday to love life. Horses are magical. And while you're taking riding lessons, check out Carolyn Resnick with her "Waterhole Rituals". She's a gift from the horses to all of us who love them. Hope you have many wonderful years together with Merlin!

March 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home