Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Grace, I named her

I would like to start out by saying I am writing this while a clear cucumber mask fastens itself to my face through come chemistry of air and time. It's a cool, chilling feeling. Kind of like someone just gently brushed my face with toothpaste. This is a new sensation for this farm girl, but an important one. Taking time to take better care of myself is becoming a higher priority. The farm is doing better with it, too. Ever since I started jogging I have felt a new energy, and the healthier octane is helping too. I am sleeping better, stretching better, reminding myself to breathe slower. "Ground and Center." I say, about twenty times a day. I stop and close my eyes and breathe.

I rush too much. I do things too fast. Things like washing my hair in the shower, shaving my legs, and running a comb through wet locks are done too fast, borderline angry. Like I am in some sort of constant anxious rush. I am learning to see this, stop it, breathe.

Ground and Center. Ground and Center.

The first heads of lettuce seeds are poking up. The bedding that blanketed the garlic since last fall has been brushed away. Jasper spends all his time in the big pasture now, and all that room to run has him calmer and more willing to train. The new litter of kits seems robust and Grace (so I named the Cotswold who survived) has returned to the rest of the flock. I watched her run down the hill to the other sheep tonight, slightly amazed I did it. (Well, that me and Shelly VMD did it). Watching that big fluffy butt tromple* down the muddy hillside was quite the sight. Quite.

I'm getting ready for the weekend workshop and the upcoming laying hen workshop in a few weekends. I ordered 45 chicks for it, a combination of Golden Wyandottes, Road Island Reds, and Dark Brahmas. All of them are hardy Northeastern friendly birds who do well in backyards or small farms. I look forward to that class a lot. I still remember my first chicks in Idaho. I remember thinking "Here comes the rest of the story..." and smiling as I watched them for hours.

Things are good, busy, but good. I work with Merlin as often as possible. Gibson will start herding lesson and Sheep Doggin' Clinics again soon. Lambing might start in mid to late April, depending on if Atlas did the job or not. A lot of ifs and maybes, but all of it keeping me on my toes.

*I made up the word tromple right then, but people with sheep know what I mean. It's a jaunty but specific kind of sheep trot.

7 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I've used 'tromple' myself. It's a cross between trample and tromp:)
And if Grace was used that stiff legged boing boing boing that sheep sometimes do, that's called 'stotting'(or apparently, according to Wikipedia, 'pronking' or 'pronging')

March 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

Glad to hear that you are taking better care of yourself. When you nurture yourself, you nurture the farm and it nurtures you. And round and round it goes...
Many blessings sent your way this day Jenna.

March 21, 2012 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Even things that tromple have grace!

March 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Chickens!!! Are they straight run or all female? Before we start naming them, I want to know if any are going to end up being named "Dinner." :)

March 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

I love the word 'trundle' in reference to the way a bear kinda fast walks across open areas, roads, etc

March 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

I love the word 'trundle' in reference to the way a bear kinda fast walks across open areas, roads, etc

March 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Valri said...

Jenna, I'm reading this a few days later, but I love your "Ground and Center". I too, am/was always in a hurry and accident prone. A year ago I was out in the garden moving some bags of sand with a wheelbarrow when it lost its balance. In an effort to straighten it, I lost my balance as well and tripped over a garden bed, slamming my wrist and breaking it quite badly (required surgery and a metal plate). I was lamenting about why I'm always having these (usually minor until this one) accidents, my husband commented, "You're always in too much of a hurry, you need to slow down." That said, I've set a goal to slow down and focus on what I'm doing instead of letting my mind run away in thought, not paying attention. I usually just say focus, focus...and try to be mindful, but now I have a new mantra to use. Keep up the good work and blog, I don't comment often, but really enjoy reading about all your adventures.

March 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home