Saturday, January 14, 2012

passing afternoon

There are times that walk from you like some passing afternoon
Summer warmed the open window of her honeymoon
And she chose a yard to burn but the ground remembers her
Wooden spoons, her children stir her Bougainvillea blooms

There are things that drift away like our endless, numbered days
Autumn blew the quilt right off the perfect bed she made
And she's chosen to believe in the hymns her mother sings
Sunday pulls its children from their piles of fallen leaves

There are sailing ships that pass all our bodies in the grass
Springtime calls her children 'till she let's them go at last
And she's chosen where to be, though she's lost her wedding ring
Somewhere near her misplaced jar of Bougainvillea seeds

There are things we can't recall, blind as night that finds us all
Winter tucks her children in, her fragile china dolls
But my hands remember hers, rolling 'round the shaded ferns
Naked arms, her secrets still like songs I'd never learned

There are names across the sea, only now I do believe
Sometimes, with the windows closed, she'll sit and think of me
But she'll mend his tattered clothes and they'll kiss as if they know
A baby sleeps in all our bones, so scared to be alone

-Iron & Wine

10 Comments:

Blogger Karen Fulford said...

omg, I was reading this and thinking you are an amazing poet too. I'll have to listen to this song - love the lyrics. Thanks.

January 14, 2012 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger Bovey Belle said...

The crows looking good. Sewing - embroidery, hand-quilting, x-stitch - whatever - is so addictive and satisfying.

January 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger PansWife said...

Love the crow. I could see a row of them on the border of a muslin curtain.

January 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Kelsie said...

This is the song that made me fall in love with Iron & Wine. "Faded from the Winter" is my favorite January/February song, though. And on vinyl, too!

January 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Kelsie, Fade from the Winter is my favorite on vinyl too! It makes my heart race when it starts...

January 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

love that song... had a hard time calling up the melody though, had to play it along while I read the lyrics.

For me, Boy with a Coin has just the right feel and just the right ammount of energy to wake up to for mornings when you beat the sun awake and gets me going with the least amount of grumbling. It's my good morning song.

January 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Wonderful stuff to pass the time away with. My favorites…Lion’s Mane or On Your Wings or Sacred Vision… Like the crow!

January 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Mercy, this is probably my favorite song.

January 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM  
OpenID destinationisjourney said...

I <3 Iron & Wine.

January 16, 2012 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Speaking of music, just came across this video mixing maple syrup, banjo, and ukulele [via BoingBoing]. Seemed like it might suit CAF.

http://youtu.be/-4pJcRoTg4c

January 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home