Saturday, January 28, 2012

the morning before a workshop

The roosters sing, and the fires are burning bright. The cat is curled up in his chair and the dogs are stirring. Bread rises and bakes and stray coffee beans and grinds swirl around the flour swirls on the countertop. Two apple pies I baked last night were once hanging from a New York orchard's trees. Eggs from the hens outside and whipped up into quiche pourin' and kale from my friends' farm are prepped to be baked inside with salt and pepper and local cheeses. The mason jars are all washed new and set out on the drying rack to get ready for Firecracker Farm's home-grown potato soup and beef chili. If you didn't know about the 20 drop spindles and 8 bags of raw wool upstairs you might think this was a feast or a cooking class, but it is just humble, simple food to make people warm and well for a day dedicated to fiber.

My guest is still asleep upstairs and I'll hop in the shower soon, but soon as I am out and cleaned up, and the sun is too, I'll head outside to see to the birds and beasts and then come inside to the warmth and hot coffee on the stove top and call that a beginning.

I'm excited for today, and I hope you are too.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kate Mary Betty said...

Good luck today Jenna...have fun and gift them with who'll knowledge!

Kathy - Windwomen Farm

January 28, 2012 at 6:54 AM  
Blogger Kate Mary Betty said...

Wool knowledge...I hate spell check...just need to remember to disable it!

January 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I can feel your excitement, Jenna! I so wish I could be there. There is so much I need to learn. I can't wait to see pictures and hear wonderful stories about the day there. The food sounds amazingly good. I am going to make my breakfast now. Have fun!!

January 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

oh... have a good day... lots of COFFEE!, food, friends, learning, sharing, making... wish i could be there too! but look forward to reading about it soon!

January 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger SouthernHeart said...

Another word picture...makes me want to go bake a quiche and make homemade potato soup! No doubt this workshop will be another resounding success. Have fun in the process...

Blessings,
Dianne
www.mysouthernheart.com

January 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger pawsfurme said...

I wish I could be there. Have fun today!

January 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

Hope everyone is having a great day and soaking up knowledge!

January 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Jen (emsun.org) said...

I love potato soup so much! I think I'm going to make some tonight. :)

January 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Ashley DeMazza said...

Your excitement jumps off the screen!

Ashley DeMazza

January 29, 2012 at 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home