Wednesday, January 25, 2012

first taste of homebrew


Blogger Lara said...

Going to give home brewing a try for the first time this weekend! Not sure what I'm going to name my lager yet...

January 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Deadpenguin said...

@ Lara - Ales are a better starting point for your first homebrew. Ales give you a wider margin of error and also are done quicker.

January 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Looks awesome! Love the label, too :)

January 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

@Deadpenguin, read that ales were easiest to start with too…but I’ve always preferred lagers and pilsners, so I’m jumping in for better or worse—which may not be the best way to learn, but will be an adventure nonetheless :)! I may try a porter though next time…a friend of mine did a baltic porter that was amazing. Can’t believe I’ve waited this long to give this a try.

*Jenna, love the labels too!

January 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I have a honey brow ale and a porter to try next. Hoping to brew it tomorrow night if kate is up for it!

January 26, 2012 at 7:03 AM  
Blogger EBCornell said...

After a few under or over-carbonated batches I switched to the Cooper's tabs too. But I usually let the bottles sit for a week before I crack open the first one. When did you add the honey and brown sugar? In the boil?

January 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

@Lara - lagers need to be fermented at consistent cold temperatures (about 45-50 degrees). Do you have a place to keep your brew bucket at that temp range for long enough? This has been a hangup for us and the reason we haven't done any lagering yet, which is a drag, since almost all my favorite beers are lagered (nearly all German beers, for example, as well as many others). We're working on setting up an old chest freezer on an independent thermostat to solve that problem!

January 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Wow, that's some beautiful beer, and the label's awesome too!

Where do you get your supplies? My hubby's been wanting to try homebrew for a long time, I think this post was just the kick in the pants that he needed to get started.

January 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger pawsfurme said...

I'm not a beer drinking kinda gal, but I would love to try making root beer or birch beer some time.

January 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I totally answered this in the wrong post!

I use NORTHERN BREWER! their beginner kit is amazing.

January 26, 2012 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

deadpenguin, have you seen the zombie movie online of the guy in a penguin suit? It's kinda great.

January 26, 2012 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Deadpenguin said...

@ Jenna - I have now. Thank you. Beautiful and disturbing all wrapped into one.

January 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

@Tara, this sounds really bad and wasteful since I live by myself, but I have 2 fridges now—so I was thinking the old one would become my “beer” fridge while I’m brewing and was planning on taking out all but one shelf and putting my bucket in there. In the spring/summer I’ll even have to use the fridge I think for non-lagers because the temps in the house gets so toasty. My recipe says to keep the temp between 48-58 like you mentioned and then drop it down to 35-42 so I think the fridge may work for this. I did find one lager that had brew temps of 58-68 so I may try that in the future if this doesn’t turn out for me (or switch beers!). I ordered a whole other set of stuff to try cider with too, so between the two projects I’ll definitely have enough booze to keep that other fridge filled I guess!—thanks and good luck with the chest freezer!

January 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Deadpenguin said...

Beer looks good. I am a sucker for the Stout cascade.
From the looks of the beer gushing out when you popped the top your beer might be over primed. Just means you had more fermentable sugar than you needed for your yeasties. I'd rather have more carbonation than not enough. I definitely missed the mark on my last cider and now I have Apple wine.

January 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home