Saturday, January 14, 2012

cold coming in...

Cold is coming, below zero temperatures tonight. I made sure all the animals got some extra feed, clean warm bedding, and plenty of water. I'm not worried about anyone but the Freedom Rangers, who were not intended to be raised in January in New York, for certain. But the structure Steve, Molly, and I built out of hay bales withstood the 40 MPH winds that ripped down the mountain last night and it is holding steady around fifty degrees inside the 18 inch-thick walls. I think the birds, all of them bulking up and covered in red feathers, will be okay though. I say that with 80% confidence, I might lose a few. This will be a true test of our best intentions.

The farmer is spending this day bouncing from a chapter of Birchthorn (hoping to post it later today if the goal is met), some practice embroidery work of a crow, and outdoor chores. It is cold, and on the weekends I do more of everything but in shorter spurts. For example: I just got in from cleaning out all of the rabbit cages and filling them with fresh hay and straw, clean and dry. While in the barn I also feed the pigs a big bowl of food scraps and grain and dumped half a bale of hay into their pen so Kevin could rip it apart and roll around on it to itch his back and chew up the grass. Jasper watches all of this with frustration. Everyone seems to get more grain than him.

Going to head into town soon to do some errands and stop at Battenkill books to sign some more copies of Barnheart with Gibson. Then once the feed, groceries, and such are unloaded I'll be tucking in with some more embroidery work (totally winging it, no pun intended) and more of my audiobook binge. A reader suggested Dies the Fire, by S.M. Stirling and I am listening to the whole thing being read to me while I sit by the woodstove and sew. It is a wonderful way to warm cold feet and plan monster stories. Not a bad way to spend a below zero night.

I swear a fat cat sleeping on an armchair makes the place warmer...

15 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Nidetch said...

A sleeping cat always makes me feel better!

January 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Dies the Fire (and the following series) is fantastic! We're obsessed with the series on audiobook and have listened to it multiple times. Stay warm tonight!
Elizabeth

January 14, 2012 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Beware the magic that fats cats possess... mine somehow manages to get me to hit the snooze button at least 2 or 3 times. ; ) It amazing how a nice low purr can keep you pinned to the bed.

January 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM  
OpenID edgwickfarm said...

We are fans of Dies the Fire too and have both read it and listened to it multiple times. Enjoy!

January 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Flartus said...

We cat-sat over the holidays (a kitten we'd found & raised before giving it to a friend), and this morning I thought I felt that cat jump on the bed and curl up at my back. I was was a little disappointed when I woke up and realized it must have been a dream. :)

January 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

We need good audiobooks for our family, youngest 7, middle are teenagers and then us. We listened to "How to Train You Dragon" and that was great (only thing in common with the movie was the names of the characters). Driving trips are so enjoyable with a good story! Any suggestions?

January 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger May Child said...

If you have an Audible subscription, I can highly recommend the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan for the older ones in your family. A truely epic read. The audiobooks are very expensive without a subscription though due to their length.

January 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Mist said...

Hope those chicks pull through! You've reminded me that a have a few unfinished embroidery projects sitting around here, perfect for our snowy day.

January 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger bookkm said...

It's cold and windy here and I am taking a chance that wash will dry on the line anyway. Sometimes it does. The sun is shining and the wind has blown a sheet off the line two times already. Ah, Winter.
Now if only I had a woodstove to crochet next to, like you, Jenna.

January 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger Flartus said...

(Whoops, sorry for the no sequitur earlier...I thought I was commenting on the previous post!)

January 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Cats are truly magical...they change the whole energy of a home. :)

Good luck with the embroidery! Will you be posting pictures of your finished project? I can't seem to get the hang of thread,(my sewing machine is terribly neglected)but I am in the process of finishing the first of two baby blankets, for our soon to be born twin grandbabies. Once they're finished, I think I'll turn my attention once more to needle crafts.

January 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger ADK Massage Girl said...

If you like the Dies the Fire books, you'd also like the sister books staring with Island In the Sea of Time. They actually come first according my bf who introduced me to SM Stirling, but I also started with the same book you did and I preferred it that way. Enjoy! :)

January 14, 2012 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

Sounds like everyone will be snug and cozy at your place tonight!
Enjoy your hunkering down.

January 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Love Dies the Fire! It's my favorite in the series, and there's so much to like in there for someone who is interested in self-sustainablity.

January 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM  
OpenID joatsimeon said...

Glad you're enjoying 'em. Nice to get approbation from people who get the finer points.

S.M. Stirling

PS: have two cats, too.

March 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home