Friday, January 20, 2012

Antlerstock 2012 is going to be HUGE!

Antlerstock 2012 will be held here at Cold Antler on Columbus Day Weekend. I'm expanding the workshops, events, and options this year and starting it (informally) on Friday night for those who come into town early and would like dinner on me. There will be a campfire and burgers and dogs for anyone who wants to enjoy a totally class-free evening of music and firelight. BYOB.

The classes offered last year will be the same, but expanded to include all sorts of grand new teachers and animals! A Polyface Farm intern-come-dairy goat farmer will be here with some of her Nigerians, with a class on the littlest-dairy herd in the city. Learn about a dairy animal you can raise around the size of a labrador.

Brett will be back, of course, with more axe man skills such as backyard timber work, axe throwing at targets, felling trees, chopping, and Jasper will be helping to pull timber out of the forest as well, in harness. There won't be a working horse class -so to speak- but I will talk more in depth about being a new equine owner and what goes into the spirit and education of a working pony. I'll show you the harnesses and how to put one on. You'll see my own homegrown methods of working with the 11.2 hand beast I call Sir, on occasion.

There will be a new class on raising pigs, taught by a pig farmer. Also adding workshop on honey and the hive and homebrewing beer or ciser. A sourdough starter bread workshop is also a welcomed addition. All of this happens along with constant classes and demonstrations. You have to pick and choose what you want to do, but it is always a blast. There will be an optional trip down to Common Sense Farm to learn about herbalism and their farm. There will be a herding demo with Gibson and I, plus the usual classes in cheesemaking, music, soapmaking, canning, and more.

Breakfasts are quiche and homemade apple pies as well as apple cider donuts and hot cups of strong locally roasted coffee. Lunch is hearty and hot, chili, stews, soups and pork bbq. All of the food is grass fed, free range, and locally sourced as possible. Apples from the farm's trees will be pressed and served as cold cider. Eat all you can and be merry!

This is the Mother of all Cold Antler Farm events, and held during the peak foliage time Veryork has to offer. Already it is 2/3rds filled up but there are still some spaces for folks if they would like to attend. the plan for next year is to have a tighter schedule and help from my friend Raven to organize it the way only her mind can. I think it'll make last years seem like more of a gathering than a festival, and for anyone wondering, yes, the pumpkin procession to the Saturday Night Bonfire will be back!

email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com if interested! First come, first served as far as reservations go!

photo by timothy bronson of 468photography.com

11 Comments:

Blogger Chad and Kristi said...

If only we didn't live 3210.98Km away from each other, I would be there in a heart beat.
http://www.mapquest.ca/#fae9f08908d0ff1cfbd9d0f6
Keep up the good work.

January 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Jenna, you should consider adding a gluten free awareness class to the workshop also. I know a lot of people trying to lead a self sustained life that are gluten challenged.

January 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Jenna, you should consider adding a gluten free awareness class to the workshop also. I know a lot of people trying to lead a self sustained life that are gluten challenged.

January 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

If only you were closer! We'd be there in a flash!

Sounds like a ton of fun!

January 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

If only you were closer! We'd be there in a flash!

Sounds like a ton of fun!

January 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

I hope you have a good turn out and that everyone has a great time!


(Pretty sure you have a small typo on the lunch menu. Or else I bet some people skip that portion of lunch. ;) )

January 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Sounds delightful!! I do wish I lived closer than Arizona. :( I agree with the recommendation for a gluten free class. My husband is confined to gluten free recipes and this has been a challenge as we convert to a more sustainable lifestyle and try to keep our two kids happy. I think you would find a real market for this.

January 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Everything sounds awesome! We can't wait until October! Andrew is super excited about axe throwing and home brewing and I want to somehow attend them all! We are planning on coming up on Friday and will try to make it for a burger.

January 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

I just sent an email regarding registration. P.S. Can you post your famous apple pie recipe? Also, is that your own apple cider press?

January 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

I just finished Barnheart!! <3 I enjoyed it just as much as I thought I would! Thanks for helping dreamers like me know it is possible if you want it bad enough! If you have any extra rovings or spindles, and you're willing to ship... I'm interested!

T

January 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger farmgirlwanabe said...

Jenna

where exactly are you as we would be interested in coming to the workshops - sorry as I am not that computer literate when it comes to blogs as I am a newbie to commenting on blogs

January 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home