Saturday, January 14, 2012

afternoon practice

Gibson and I are still beginners, still at the very start of our training as shepherd and sheepdog. It's not a race for us and I am treating it as a lifelong education of a farmer and farm dog. I don't know if we'll ever see the trial field together, but when the weather turns better we'll get back to lessons on a regular basis. Today I wanted to give him a brush up, so we went out in the 18-degree waning light of the afternoon. Our work today was a flurry of excitement, as Gibson had not been out with the sheep in weeks. The frozen ground cut his paws, but he didn't even notice. When we came inside I washed them carefully, gave him some water, and he is now asleep in his crate. I'm getting back to my craft, and the audiobook, and will hopefully come back tonight with Chapter 3 of Birchthorn. I didn't get the amount of $300 for the chapter, and I am not waiting to reach that amount to keep it going. I love writing it, and as long as someone donates something, that means someone loves reading it. That is good enough for me.

Animals. Work. Words. Craft.

A fine practice.

5 Comments:

Blogger georgie said...

If someone had told me at the onset with a super intelligent standard poodle pup, that it would take a lifetime of work, it would have really relieved this human. The dog is now 14 and indeed we are still both learning. She keeps testing me and I keep learning to be consistent.

January 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Thistledog said...

Oh. That is a lovely picture snapped there of Gibson and his sheep. My wackadoodle BC girl can only dream of that pose at that proximity to that object of her desire. Our farm days await us. We are all beginners - you are ahead of us, and many are ahead of both of us, while just as many wait their turn to join the fray. A craft like working livestock with dogs is worth a lifetime. So is writing. I missed the part about the donations for chapters, sorry dear. I'll have to catchup.

January 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Looks like the girls are preparing for a standoff—love the fuzzy mop on that tall gal. Not much snow on the ground at all!

January 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger Ashley DeMazza said...

Great picture Jenna! I lived in New Zealand and watching farmers use dogs to herd sheep on their huge sheep stations is something I will never forget. I am so impressed with your hard work.

January 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM  
Blogger Ashley DeMazza said...

Great picture Jenna! I lived in New Zealand and watching farmers use dogs to herd sheep on their huge sheep stations is something I will never forget. I am so impressed with your hard work.

January 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home