Monday, December 12, 2011

Webinar Sample: Mountain Dulcimer 101

Okay folks, here is a fairly long sample clip showing you an example of how the webinars will work here. It is about ten minutes. Mostly, it's video instructional blogging but with extra photos and stories of my own life and experiences thrown in. In this partial webinar, you'll see some vintage Tennessee Jenna, mountain smashing! (That's my bum climbing to the top of Chimney Tops in the Smokies, son) And videos from the old states not even mentioned on the blog. Consider it more than a way to learn country skills if you can't make a full-day, on-farm workshop—think of it as a video conversation in my home, with lots of yarns and laughs thrown in.

This webinar starts out like a bit of a scrapbook, and talks about the history and my story of coming to the dulcimer. After that we get a quick review of parts and simple strumming in my office. It's a fair preview of the conversational style of the whole process. And for those of you who are audio/video buffs, I do apologize. All I have is a 2005 eMac with iMovie, Garage Band, and iPhoto (also from '05!) . I used those programs to do everything from turn me into a one-woman band (I recorded dulcimer, Irish whistle, drums, and rattles on top of each other with sound effects) to film editor. This little sample you see took me about 6 hours total, and that's not counting the time to write and record the music (two songs are originals I wrote in Sandpoint, Idaho. Winters are long there.)

I loved making this teaser webinar, and already am planning my second one (wool washing, processing, and hand carding and drop spinning to match the January Workshops) as well as spring Webinars in less adorable arts like rabbit and chicken harvesting and freezer wrapping. I hope this sample inspires some of you to sign up for these, and gets the current members already signed up excited for what's ahead. More (and full-length) webinars will be emailed to subscribers as they become available starting in 2012 (Expect one a month 20-30 minutes long!) sent via a private link to download.

P.S. quality of videos for streaming on the web isn't as good as what you will get on DVD, know it is a crisper view at full-quality.

P.S.S. Sorry it didn't go up last night, I fell asleep while it was uploading to the farm's youtube channel!

17 Comments:

Blogger becky3086 said...

You did a very good job on this. I cannot afford to buy your webinars but I am pleased for the ones who can.

December 12, 2011 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger crashdown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 12, 2011 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger crashdown said...

Good content, but buffering problems throughout. You might want to compress it more and upload it again. It also has more than four blank minutes at the end. But it definitely gives a good idea of how your webinars would add to what's already out there: the personal stuff you've included is enjoyable.

December 12, 2011 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger julie said...

Very enjoyable, I think that you will make a very good teacher.

December 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Congratulations on your webinar--I am sure you have done a great job!

Would you consider a DVD (sometime in the future) for those of us stuck on dial-up here in the middle of the country where not enough people live to make it profitable for the big boys to extend broadband internet access. Oh for the days of Roosevelt when he made the monopolies provide electric and phone service to everybody!)

I would buy a DVD whenever you are able to produce one.

December 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I think this video is great! Maybe a DVD CSA would work, everyone pays their webinar fee and then instead of wool they receive a DVD in the mail and can make a collection of all their webinars :) But really, that was a great video, the right amount of personal experience, history, and lesson, I loved the music you put it to too! Great job Jenna!! Hope to be able to sign up for the webinar CSA soon!

December 12, 2011 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Rainsong said...

The farm has a you tube channel? Kewl

December 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Well done, Jenna! I'm looking forward to your future webinars.

Note to anyone having buffering problems: try clicking on "pause" and waiting a minute or two, then click "play".

December 12, 2011 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Great job introducing people to the dulcimer. It has been my favorite instrument since I first heard it, believe it or not, at a Krishna ashram back in the early 70's. Dulcimers were so popular in the mountains of north Georgia and Tennessee that they were even accepted into the outside cultures that came into the area. They are easy to play, and can go anywhere.

Thank you so much for introducing people from other parts of the country to this instrument. Hope you can let them hear a hammer dulcimer. Love those things.

December 12, 2011 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

Great job, Jenna! :D Very clearly, and simply explained. Very nice. :)

December 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Sorry about those ending minutes of dead space, I promise the finished products will be crisper! I'm still learning, but so grateful for the kind words and support.

December 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

soooo excited! it was great! seeing all those pics of east tenn makes me homesick!!! i'm on the other side of the state now and it is so not like that here! great job!!!

December 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger pawsfurme said...

I thought you did a darn good job. :) I would recommend louder speaking, though. Even without the music in the background, you were a bit quiet. At that level, the louder I make the speakers, the more "white noise" surrounds your voice. Use your BIG GIRL voice! :D

December 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

Loved the video—the dulcimer is magnificent in all forms. My Grandpa talked about how when the Great Depression hit and the family left the hills his older sister lost her dulcimer somewhere in between. Later on when she was much older she bought one again that was absolutely beautiful in the 1950’s in Tennessee and Grandpa said that she hardly put it down. They lived in Meigs County and there was a festival she and some other relation would go to in Chattanooga every year—about the only time they would go to town towards the end of their lives. You’ve teased that dulcimer itch again—thank you!

*Just got my copy of Barnheart…love it!

December 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Well, you inspired me. I don't have a musical bone in my body but after watching that, I'm tempted to try it! lol

December 13, 2011 at 2:29 AM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Enjoyed the lesson. I also had problems with the post and 4 blank minutes at the end. You made the dulcimer look easy.

Recognized your location in the Smokies. We have done extensive hiking and front country camping there.

December 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

I haven't been able to watch the whole thing due to buffering issues. BUT...you have inspired me. I have a beautiful mountain dulcimer that my Grandfather gave me with simple heart cut outs and complete with a feather, pic and dowel. I received it as a teen and have been carrying it through my wacky young adult life. I think its time to open that baby up!

December 14, 2011 at 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home