Sunday, December 4, 2011

Triumph!

This morning when I stepped out my front door I came upon a glorious sight. Atlas was fervently mounting a blackface ewe. TRIUMPH! I was thrilled, never more happy then to see the ram lamb I bought as a babe, raised, cared for, and kept from the flock until these fine days and see him do his duty for the future of this flock. I punched the air and jumped. Here's why my life has lead me: NFL touchdown dances in the driveway while sheep hump in the distance. Makes you feel rich.

Sal watched from the hill like he the second gunman on the grassy knoll. But Atlas kept at it, and a few minutes later when I returned to the flock to freshen their water, I saw him and Sal butting heads through Sal's pen fence. Hormones are certainly in the air. If this keeps up, I may not need to bring in another ram after all. That would be a blessing since I just found out from my insurance that I can get a whole new truck door and other damage covered if I cough up the $500 deductible. So I am going to make that happen, because the door isnt safe, and the ten dollars more a month in premiums is something I can eat. The auto shop wants the truck delivered to be worked on the morning of the 19th.

I am keeping close to home today to keep an eye on the sheep drama and start getting all the CSA orders out. What has been keeping me from sending your humble shares is I have not had the time or resources to get to a professional printer to make the labels and such. Then I realized, who am I selling to?! My members don't want flimsy paper, they want their wool. So I will send out the raw products of felt and wool you so patiently waited for with holiday cards and the share's end thank you letter. I hope to have them all to you soon. So there's that.

This morning I do have one errand. Gibson and I will drive north to get a load of hay and then come back to drive it back to the barn. I will cut that well such a wide berth you'd think the motherpumper was on fire.

P.S. This is the last day to enter with a comment in the Winter Prep giveaway a few posts below. Joining in the conversation could get you a free ticket to hear Kathy Harrison and James Howard Kunstler here at the farm talk about everything from storm warnings to Peak oil and how to handle whatever comes your way.

19 Comments:

Blogger The Sprouting Acorn said...

Atlas(t)! lol
Nothin' like a farm dude doin' his duties. ;)

December 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger jim said...

jenna, how about put a tall post with a reflector on it next to your well so when the snow gets deep you and everyone will know where it is-someone else could run into it also and we don't even want to go there. [before you put the post in-know where the electrical feed is coming in from so you disturb it with the post ] j

December 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

So excited for you to know that lambing time will be coming again.

December 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Who needs Desperate or Real Housewives when we've got sheep sex right here on the internet? C'mon Jenna, how about some video? (Lol, no please! Just kidding!!)

Love "motherpumper," never heard that before, but it sure seems fitting in this post.

December 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Congrats Jenna! Must be in the air...we got our first eggs this morning! I did a victory dance as well :)

December 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Tracy P said...

That was freakin' hilarious

December 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Glad to hear it! Yesterday at my mother's Christmas party, the talk at *my* table was about chicken sex, horse manure vs cow, and the butchering of pigs. Not your normal holiday chit-chat, I can assure you, but facinating none the less.
One of my friends is working on a new website connecting farmers, homesteaders, and preppers. Please go take a peek and join the group if it interests you:
www.farm-dreams.com
Happy Holidays!

December 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger aerogramme said...

lambing watch for the last week of april 2012 ... lets mark the calendar

December 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

My husband gets a bit grossed out because during breeding season, I always make a point to stick around and watch. It's not some kind of sick voyeurism - it's solid husbandry. I know that just because an attempt is made, that doesn't mean it was successful, and there's frankly nothing like seeing for KNOWING. He does NOT believe me when I tell him this. ;-)

December 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger becky said...

haha Tara i agree with you. you put all that hard work into a herd you want to know that the deed was actually done. not just hoping it was

December 4, 2011 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger georgie said...

Just got the autographed copy of Barnheart from Connie yesterday!
How is the rat situation there? Did you get the electrical deterrant thingy from the hardware store yet?

December 4, 2011 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger jim said...

jenna-just got my copy of Barnheart and started the read last night-you are a very talented writer-kinda makes one feel like they are on the journey with you

December 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger J.D. said...

Jenna,

If I was to be so fortunate to win the preparedness raffle, I'd have to decline.
Perhaps if by some small chance I did win, I rather have a copy of wonderful "Barnheart."\


Thanks

December 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger jim said...

i agree with jd

December 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

did you ask insurance if they will rent another truck during repairs?

December 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

Hurrah for Atlas! Sometimes those fella's just need some time to figure things out. ;)

December 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger sheila said...

Plant a pole in the ground next the the well with a flag or bird feeder or something on top. Something tall enough to keep in your line of sight when you are in a vehicle. That should help prevent future mishaps with the well head.

December 4, 2011 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger pawsfurme said...

YAY ATLAS!! I had the same problem with 2 of my goats 2 months ago. I put a new 7-8 month old buckling with a very experienced 9 year old doe. No matter how much she yelled in his face, rubbed all over him, stuck her rump in his face, he just looked at her like, "uh...huh?" After a couple of days of this, his hormones sloooowly started kicking in until he finally did the deed. It was a really amusing process to watch. :) Didn't help that he's constantly overshadowed and bullied by the other 2 older bucks. This was his first moment to shine. I'm waiting to hear back on the blood test to see if it worked. I'm not experienced enough to tell without it. I spent all of last year thinking she was pregnant and it turned out, she wasn't.

December 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

hahahahha!! Success!! you think it's sad that you were doing touchdown dances for sheep sex? how about me doing touchdown dances for your sheep sex from 100's of miles away? man I need my own livestock!
:S

December 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home