Friday, December 9, 2011

recess for snow birds


Blogger christine said...

Lovely! do know that it's 2011, though, right?

December 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Yeah, but I bought this farm in 2010!

December 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

I do the same thing for my chickens when it snows but as the winter wears on they will brave the snow. You must have noticed that they will eat hay when it is provided. I also put some rabbit food in their hopper to provide green food in the winter.

December 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger georgie said...

It was the "Lay or Bust" sign by the coop that had me giggling this a.m.

December 9, 2011 at 11:21 AM  
OpenID barntalkblog said...

Chickens in the snow,
chickens in the snow,
there's nothing more entertainin' than chickens in the snow.


December 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

My girls flat out refuse to have anything to do with snow whatsoever. Their coop is in the barn and when I have opened the coop door and let them out, upon reaching the barn door and seeing the snow-they turn around and go back! So, to give them a change of scenery during the winter, they go into the horse stall during the day. It' bigger than the coop, usually has hay and keeps them cozy from winter and the snow. The horse doesn't mind as he is usually outside during the day and it makes it a lot easier for me to open one door and close another and the girls are set up for the day.
Lisa in Maine

December 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I sang that song to Turkey in the Straw, Autumn!

December 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

(My chickens hang out with my equine too!)

December 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

(My chickens hang out with my equine too!)

December 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

My chickens won't have anything to do with snow either. I like the idea of putting down straw for them to walk out on and also the idea of giving them hay or rabbit food to suppliment their bits of vegie scraps from the kitchen.

December 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Green Zebra Market Garden said...

Thanks for showing this Jenna. This video had perfect timing for me. We just got our first snow and I quickly noticed that my hens won't walk on the snow. Instead, they stick to the tiny landing strip of bare earth under the overhang of the coop roof. I'm going to have to go get some straw bales and rectify the situation!

December 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home