Friday, December 9, 2011

First Webinar this Sunday: Mountain Dulcimer!

I'm excited about the first Webinar I am planning. It's a complete beginner's guide to the mountain dulcimer. It'll be between 15-20 minutes long and contain everything you need to know to tune, play, and enjoy the simplest and sweetest of the ballad keepers. You'll hear some singing from me, the story of my history with the dulcimer and the Smoky mountains, and learn about the instrument's history, stories, and reasons for keeping a mountain (AKA lap) dulcimer at arms reach at any time. By the end of the video you'll be either scanning Craigslist for a dulcimer to barter for, promise.

The Webinars are important to me. It's both a way to share what I love doing, and helps sustain this farm., allowing me to take a stab at making a living doing what I love. I consider that, the real American Dream. I don't think the old idea of a cookie-cutter house, two kids, and a golden retriever with stock options really holds the weight it once did for the post-war scene. I think the American Dream of my generation is to pursue something you love, something that makes you sing deep inside, and try to find a way to create your life around it. It doesn't have to be your income, or the only thing you do, but to follow your passion in a way that is sustainably rewarding, to me, is the Big Dream. And it's not just for American's anymore, darling.

So for those of you who signed up for a season of Webinar's, you'll be emailed a link to your download/video hopefully by Sunday night! You don't need a dulcimer to watch it, but it might inspire some of you who aren't musical to give it a go. Dulcimers are beautiful, simple, and hauntingly poetic things.

If you are interested in signing up for a season pass of Webinars, private video lessons in homesteading skills and arts, click this link to learn more!

11 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Your description of our new american dream is pretty much how I see it, too. To live a life centered around the things I care about is what I am aiming for. Although I don't make my income from these things (yet?) I guess I am living the dream since I get to do things that I truly love and care about every day. I still have more dreams to work toward, but I'm on my way.

December 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

"a golden retriever with stock options"

Now THAT is a truly impressive working dog.
:)

December 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Are retrievers the only kind of dog with stock options, or are other breeds into investing? I bet Labs buy penny stocks. Maybe if I got a Bloodhound, he could find the rest of my 401k. :)

December 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

all golden retrievers come with a basic 401k, low risk package, you heard it here first

December 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

You might want to check out these videos for a good model for your webinars--I've found them very helpful:

http://modernhomesteading.ca/blog/modern-homesteading-skills

These are free, of course, but they're also not very high in production quality. Still, they're nice efforts, and they should give you some ideas on good ways to go. Good luck with your project!

December 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Anyone have suggestions on where one on a shoestring budget might get a decent quality, fairly inexpensive mountain dulcimer?

December 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger georgie said...

Dad made a beautiful mountain dulcimer many years ago. The wood looks like black walnut. The only melody I can play on it is Go Tell Aunt Rhody. Will have to check on your Webinars!

December 10, 2011 at 1:14 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

cheap dulcimers of decent quality are hard to find, but I know there are plenty of learning-quality out there on ebay, craigslist, and low-cost cardboard alternatives like this

http://www.banjo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1202x&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&click=18860

December 10, 2011 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger Trekout2 said...

Ok sounds good I can't wait to get started.

December 10, 2011 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Jenna, thank you! I'm thinking I might reward myself with one for paying off my car early- many are about the cost of the car payment, or a paycheck from my second job. I've never really been able to play music, and I think it's a deep shame and should be resolved as quickly as possible! Thanks for providing me with some direction for it!

December 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Infinite Possibilities said...

Jenna,

Is there a way to just sign up for individual webinars? I don't own a Mountain Dulcimer, but I'm interested in it. They make beautiful music. Anyhow, I'm interested in your webinar, but wouldn't necessarily want to learn about wool or processing animals, etc. Any thoughts on creating something for folks like me...that only want one or two webinars?

Shana

BTW...any ideas on when the Barnheart books get shipped out?

December 10, 2011 at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home