Friday, November 25, 2011

a reader's email

Hello Jenna,

I've been an avid reader of your blog for about three years now. I just started raising small-scale livestock this summer. I was raising a few chickens, American Chinchilla rabbits, and I had a very large food garden. I don't know how frequently you do this, but I've seen it in the past and I thought I would give it a try. It never hurts, right?

I live in Reno, NV. This past Thursday night, Reno was overtaken by a 2000+ acre brush fire, which took my house at around 2:20 am Friday morning. I was only able to get my family (7 people, my parents, my 3 siblings, and my husband), my 2 dogs, and 2 of my rabbits out. I lost seven rabbits. Fortunately, we had given our chickens away to another family last week who was more in need than we. The house was burnt to the foundations, something which the firefighters had never seen before. We were renters and had not taken out a renters insurance policy, so we lost everything. At the link posted below, you can see pictures of what is left over of my house.

facebook link

I know that you've been through a lot of hard times yourself and that the most helpful thing sometimes is awareness. Could you help us raise awareness? Here's a link to a donation page my husband has set up to help recover some of the basics for our family (http://goo.gl/1eGvy). If we weren't wearing it, we don't have it. This won't replace our house, but it will go a long way to helping us replace the necessities and take some strain off of finding temporary housing.

Here is a link to one of the articles written about us:

Austin Hardage is my husband, my parents are not listed, but are Sheryl and Michael Mundy. If you are interested in more information, please feel free to contact me. There's definitely a lot unsaid. I really hope that you can help us get the exposure that will make a difference. If there is anything that I've learnt from reading your blog, it's that you know a lot of really good people.

Best regards and happy Thanksgiving,

Sarah

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

I posted this in hopes that some of us can help out. I donated a few bucks at the link in the email copy, and while I understand we are all strapped, this farm has helped many, many people when life got scary.

In my prayers Sarah.

November 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger Talita Salles said...

I'm glad to see more of us were able to donate a little. And almost all came from your blog, Jenna.

Hopefully many more will.

Cheers!

November 26, 2011 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I went to the address but the ad had "expired." Is there another way?

November 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger CorinneLouise said...

I've tried the link but it didn't work. How can we donate ?

November 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

http://goo.gl/1eGvy

that is the donation request

November 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Green Zebra Market Garden said...

Word to the wise...renter's insurance is really really inexpensive and can save you so much headache and heartbreak when these things happen. I have a couple of friends whose apartment building burned (because another tenant accidentally started a fire), but luckily they had insurance.

I think a lot of people don't even know renter's insurance exists...it does, and it's basically your only form of protection from theft, natural disaster, and the carelessness of others.

It breaks my heart when I hear about people who lose everything and don't have insurance to cover any of the damage. It's a really simple and cheap process to get insured and nobody should sign a lease without it.

November 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home