Saturday, December 31, 2011

Plan B: A Very Special Workshop This Spring!

I'm very excited to announce this special workshop coming to Cold Antler on May 12, 2012. It's about a topic on many homesteader's minds and the occasional topic of discussion on this blog: Emergency Preparedness and the Future of Energy. The focus will be specifically on preparing your small farm or homestead for a disaster (natural or man made) and how the future of energy will affect us as and how you can be ready for it. And there are going to be two amazing guest presenters sharing their minds and experiences on this topic: Kathy Harrison and James Howard Kunstler.

Kathy is the author of the book Just in Case: How to be Self-Sufficient when the Unexpected Happens, and James Howard Kunstler, an internationally-renowned speaker and author on Peak Oil and Collapse. His book, The Long Emergency, as well as Kathy's, will be included in this workshop. Both have been featured in several television shows and documentaries on these topics They are leaders in the field. And both agreed to help set up this event as a way to support Cold Antler Farm, I'm lucky to know them both.  
 
The day of conversations and demonstrations will focus on personal disaster prep for your own farms and families. Kathy Harrison will talk about things you can do to prepare for when that ice storm takes out the power for a week, and what you can do in your current situation even if it is an apartment in the city. Topics covered will include food and water, car and personal emergency packs, first aid kits, non-electric alternatives for everyday appliances, alternative energy for your home and gadgets, gardening and preserving food, hunting and fishing, and all day questions will be welcomed and answered.

While some topics covered will be controversial, all will be based on practical skills and knowledge. This is not a Survivalist Training Camp, Tin Foil Hat Sewing Circle, or a UN stake out. If you're looking for a scary day talking about the end of the world, it isn't that either. This is a day about empowerment, action, preparing, and safety. It's about knowing that if a tree crushes your car in a storm and you're snowed in for 3 days without power you, your kids, and the dogs will have a lamp-lit scrabble night by the fireplace with some back-up kerosene heaters with a warm meal you cooked on the gas grill on the deck. Kathy will be explaining to us exactly why being prepared matters, and our responsibilities to do so. I'm sure she'll be happy to sign books and field your questions about many homesteading and preparedness topics. She has a heck of a farm!

JHK will be hitting us from a different angle. He'll be having a conversation with us on energy, peak oil, and the bigger picture, as well as his thoughts on what's in store through the next few years. Get a chance to hear one of the leading people in the field in a home setting talking about communities and localized economies. Hear his theories on why we should be thinking more about things like trains, local businesses, sustainable farm practices, and other topics. Get your copy of World Made By Hand signed by the author in the very county the book was written about!
 
The workshop runs from 10AM - 3PM Saturday May 12th at the farm. A water bath canning demonstration, a pressure canner overview, backyard homesteading tour, and homegrown music and home brewing will also be discussed. James is one heck of a fiddler and has been known to saw out a tune here at the farm on occasion, maybe he'll bring his along? So I hope you'll join us in this information-packed weekend talking about how to prepare for the worst, and feel safe and comfortable no matter what mother nature, your boss, or the economy throws at you!

Email me at Jenna@itsafarwalk.com to reserve a spot!
Limited to 20!

29 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Well, we just went three days off with no electric. I was finally able to get out today and get to the grocery store and listened to a few conversations and reached the conclusion the yes, people are definitely prepared if they can't rely on the stores to see them through. Luckily, I have a woodstove and three fireplaces, one with a beehive oven and crane so cooking and heat is good. Now flushing, that was another matter entirely..LOL!

November 1, 2011 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger JeanineH said...

I try to live the life they'll be talking about and I know I have a lot more to learn. I'd SO love to be there for this, but we'll see if you have space available when I know more about my spring ;)

November 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Ooops! Meant people "aren't" prepared...

November 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Very Cool Jenna! Congrats on a great topic and great speakers!

November 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Jenna- I think this information is so important to so many people, do you think your guest speakers would agree to being filmed so that we could all get this information?

I so wish I could come to this!

November 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

This workshop is like my dream come true!
How did you get Kunstler? I am a big fan, ever since you reviewed the Witch of Hebron here.

I know he lives in your area, but...

I wish I could be there, but I don't think the budget could afford round trip tickets from Japan...

November 2, 2011 at 2:03 AM  
Blogger PhysicsFysh said...

Awesome! I'm already committed to the Urban Homesteading 101, but if you hold another one (or integrate it into Antlerstock 2012?) I may make another trip North for it!

November 2, 2011 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger ddu said...

Someone pleeeeeease hold an event closer to those of us who live in the South. I have a double whammy that thwarts any hope of attending your fabulous workshop: 1) it's too far away, and 2) my daughter is graduating from college (debt-free!) that week. Sigh. . .

Best wishes!

November 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger ddu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

@ddu - where do you live? I'm in Texas, and I'm interested in holding workshops here at my farm, but The South is a BIG place. Depending on where you are, I may not be any closer!

Jenna, this sounds like a GREAT workshop!

November 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Moonwaves said...

So jealous. What a fantastic opportunity for those who live near you (I'm not even on the same continent :) )

November 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

FEMA offers a free Livestock and Disasters course if you're interested:

Independent Study Course Offered On Livestock And Disasters
Release Date: December 10, 2002
Release Number: HQ-02-204

Washington, DC - Owners of livestock and horses can now learn how to protect their animals when disaster strikes through a new independent study course offered through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) training Web site.

The course, titled "Livestock in Disaster," Course Code IS-111, specifically addresses the ramifications of hurricanes, earthquakes and floods, and provides tips on how to reduce risk to animals from these disasters before they strike. The course also discussed federal programs, including those at the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which can aid livestock owners affected by disasters. The course takes an average of 12 to 14 hours to complete.

As with all FEMA independent study courses, there are no prerequisites or enrollment fees.

Information can be found at: www.training.fema.gov/emiweb. Click on Independent Study to find the course. Information can also be obtained by writing to: FEMA's Independent Study Office, Emergency Management Institute, 16825 South Seton Avenue, Emmitsburg, Md. 21727.

November 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Hi Jenna: An area that so far Ihaven't seen receiving the attention it deserves is that of human waste management and the serious impact on the environment of water-based sewage treatment. A workshop on composting toilets is called for... this is a much lower impact on the environment than even a home based conventional sewage treatment plant (septic system) - you might even get a free/discounted system for yourself as advertising. Just a thought~

November 2, 2011 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Sam(antha) Burns said...

I'm in Maine so I won't be able to attend--but I'm going to get Kathy's book ASAP! Thanks Jenna!

November 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Oooooh....shiny. This sounds fantastic!!!

November 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Little Terraced House said...

Jen I wish I could make it over there for the workshop, i've watched a lot of Howard Kunslers video's and have got Kathy's book - it should be a brilliant workshop !!!!

November 2, 2011 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Kella B said...

i would love to come. I am so jealous of those who can make it to your workshops, and now you have these guests! *sniff*
Pity I live so very far away.

November 3, 2011 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Way off topic, but how is the worm composting going?

November 3, 2011 at 5:12 AM  
Blogger Chantelle said...

Wow! SOunds awesome - too far from Alabama though! So wish I could be there to hear this one!

November 3, 2011 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger PhysicsFysh said...

Hey! This is in the works, but everyone who commented got me thinking- how can we enjoy some homesteading education?

I sent out a general message on Facebook asking if people would want to spend a day learning some skills and if we'd be willing to teach each other. There's been a ton of positive responses. Now we're arranging a series of free workshops were someone offers to teach a homesteading skill and as payment others bring a dish for lunch or dinner to share with everyone else!

Our first stop is a day of crocheting and making granny squares for a charity that will turn them into blankets.

It's not the same by any stretch, but it's a nice way to hang out, support each other and scratch the homesteading itch.

November 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger J.D. said...

As an emergency manager, I can't tell you how important workshops like these are. A small bit of mitigation can save a huge amount when disaster strikes.

More then half of the issues I've dealt with were preventable had a good preparedness plan been in place.

Sounds like a fun, educational day!

November 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Wish you could come JD! you could present!

November 26, 2011 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

You are a smart girl. This will be a very good workshop. Wish I lived closer

November 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

World made by Hand is not a great book IMO but Kunstler is a smart guy and you are very lucky to have him talking to you about peak oil. I've given copies of The Long Emergency to more people than I can count and recommended it to many more.

November 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger DanT said...

I would like to go but it is a long drive from St. Catharines, Ontario to your place.
Jim Kunstler has it a lot easier, he is only 5 or 6 miles away from you.
I have to tell you that I really enjoy your blog - you are learning to live a resilient lifestyle and I admire your tenacity.
Dan

December 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

Gee, I would love to come but I'll be on my son's wedding cruise to the Bahamas.

December 31, 2011 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger 10a said...

Ooooohh Webinar pretty please Jenna?!

I bought ms Harrison's 'Just in case' after your first post of this workshop, and I think its a must for every household even in low-risk areas like mine (the Netherlands. No extreme weather or isolated spots here, and mainly landlines. Then again; it being The Netherlands I live about 8 feet under sea level. OK, so there's that...).

The book is so super practical, from creating space for storage and determining what should actually be in it to how to store best and a 'stored food cookbook' with adapted recipies. So now I have some (but not enough yet) water and two weeks worth of meals in storage, on a rotating system to keep it fresh. Made yoghurt last week (buy the book JUST to read her ridiculously easy recipy for that) and realized we needed an opportunity to bake 'off-grid' cake & bread (without woodstove or fireplace unfortunately). Found a way to do that too I'm happy to say. Very very pleased with our progress.

Great book, and great workshop I'm sure!

January 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Happy New Year, Jenna! I will know in about eight days whether I can register for this workshop. In eight days, my smaller Nigerian Dwarf doe will either come into heat (register!) or not (plan for goat babies in mid-May!).

January 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger candisrrt said...

I just had to tell you that I FINALLY was able to get Barnheart on my nook!!!!! So exccited. I have read Made from Scratch 4 times!!!
Floirda

January 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home