Tuesday, November 29, 2011

perfect gifts

Things are not normal here. Today the temperature shot to 64 degrees, an unsettling and unflattering anomaly. It might sound like a treat, all that warmth, but in these days of stickly trees, rotting wet ground, and grass that has been frozen and defrosted several times, it is simply fast-forward decomposition. Take a fistful of mud and rotting plants and bugs and stick them in the microwave for 45 seconds and you have what today felt like, all humid and dead. Everyone, from rat to rat-racer just waiting to be drenched in unforgiving rain.

The drive home offered quite a site. Just a few yards off the road on each side were two deer. The grand male on the left, a full 8 point rack held high in the passing car beams. Just beyond him on the other side of the 55-MPH highway was a doe, watching with alert ears and bright eyes. In the dark and wet this looked epic, almost something out of fable. The two star-crossed lovers divided by an angry torrent of destruction. The only way I could've been more proper in that instant was if Papa Capulet was riding shotgun giving his middle finger to the twitterpated buck.

Warm wind makes me excited, like change is on the way. Warm wind out of season makes me even more excited. I'm working on an essay about how farming has changed me, in ways I didn't expect and wasn't prepared for. How it changed my mind about so many things, from what I wear to the office to how I do my dishes... A life dedicated to seasons, animals, and constant change and occasional discomfort might sound unsavory to some, but to me, it is a constant waltz. I am always moving, always breathing heavy, always in love and grateful I just know the dance steps.

Tomorrow the people come to inspect and possibly repair the well. I called my insurance and they'll cover the bent door with a $500 deductible. Not money I have now, but my agent said they can do the paperwork and cut me the check and I can fix it on my own time.

So things are being taken care of here, one step at a time. I want to thank the few of you who contact me about Webinar passes and sent along a payment. You have no idea how much that is appreciated, and needed. And to all of you out there buying books, sharing links, telling stories, giving advice, and helping with morale when things are tight: I thank you. I can't thank you enough.

Storms coming tonight. Heavy rain. The horse is out of the pasture and in the dry barn. The pigs are nesting in fresh hay. The chicken coop is closed up, and the dogs are enjoying rawhide in the living room. Tonight's a special treat since I am enjoying both a fire in the woodstove, and open windows to hear the rain. And since I am taking the morning off from the office to see to the well, I can sleep in a little. Perfect gifts.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nadia said...

Romantic tragedy and Disney in the same sentence! Not bad. Saw deer on my way home but was just hoping they would not jump in front of the jeep. Next time I will pause for interpretation.

November 29, 2011 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

Doncha' just love life? :)

November 29, 2011 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger J.D. said...

And I can't thank you enough for encouraging me to believe that dreams do come true.

November 29, 2011 at 10:13 PM  
OpenID ruralaspirations said...

One of the things I'm looking forward to when we switch to a wood stove for heating is the fact that sometimes it gets a bit too warm, and since you can't quickly "turn down the heat", you can always open a window. I love fresh air, and winter usually robs me of that indulgence when indoors, since it "wastes heat". The last line of your post made me think about that. A little luxury courtesy of wood-heating!

November 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Yeah Jenna! The situation sounds much brighter.
The weather in upstate NY was warmer than here in Middle TN. Intermittant snow flurries for the last 24 hrs. The wind was VERY cold.
The wood stove heating the entire house felt wonderful.
Chili for supper using green peppers and tomatoes from last year's garden.
Finished knitting mittens from locally produced and spun Alpaca yarn.
Now to sleep under the quilts.

November 29, 2011 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger bree said...

I had a 6 point buck in my front yard yesterday morning. He stayed for several minutes. I had never seen one since moving here 15 years ago. What a treat. I love the picture of the dogs! Sweet dogs they are.

November 30, 2011 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger E said...

Why not sink a few posts around the well head? It would help avoid future disasters for both you and visitors. And the snowplow.

November 30, 2011 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Zev said...

Rain is so rare in our part of Colorado. I miss the sound of it through the windows. Thank you for the image.

November 30, 2011 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Around here we call it "the warm before the storm." I got a message yesterday that my copy of Barnheart is on it's way to me. I can't wait. My life clock runs by the seasons too.

November 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home