Monday, November 7, 2011

orion's big dog

Woke up this morning and headed outside to chores at the old time, instead of the saved daylight time. The illusion of an extra-early start to my day was scandelous. by "5 AM" all the animals were fed and watered and both stoves were lit again. I had three hours before I had to sit at a desk chair in someone else's office. I breathed deep, looked up at the stars. I am an excellent putter-offer. A girl takes what she can get.

The stars were rioting, and right above the sheep field Canis Major was chasing Lepus (or so the charts said when I looked them up inside). Canis Major, also known as the Constellation of Siruis, is Orion's big dog. Lepus is a large hare and they scamper below the warrior battling Taurus. I stood out there in my pajama pants, hoodie, and Carhartt vest knowing none of this, but enthralled in the big show. You don't need to know their names or even their stories to start a Monday morning enthralled in the drama. Gibson was with me, looking up at the sheep from the gate. His body quivered, a loaded gun waiting to run up the hill, damn the cold or ice between his paws. Anticipation was thick, the sky was art, the world preserving it in dark and cold. The whole thing was ice and woodsmoke and stars.

Beautiful. I stood out there a while.
A girl takes what she can get.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

I was right out there with you. In
Atlanta, we don't have the stars that you have due to pollution but every morning I look up and see Jupiter peeking over my neighbor's house and the Big Dipper pouring the love of the universe on me, I feel proud to be a star walker.
I leave the house at 5:05 to walk the dog a mile before the rest of my crew gets up and running and I consider this time, a holy time. A time of prayer and meditation.
Blessings to you as you start your week.

November 7, 2011 at 6:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara Dykes said...

The extra hour is a gift this time of year. Well... it feels like an extra hour in the morning.

Thanks for your stories - I like them

November 7, 2011 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Back Achres said...

You do your early cold morning chores in your PJ bottoms....BRRRR
You must be warm blooded

November 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I have two apps on my iphone one of the moon and one of the planets and stars. It uses my location and gives me a view of the sky at that point in the day or night. I'm a hunter and I love setting in my stand in the early am watching the heavens and then the sunrise come on in all its glory. Plus I need the moon phases for when the deer are at their peak and out n about. lol! My grandfather used to do all his farming by the moon. Its facinating to read about it. Alot in the Old Farmer's Almanac about planting, etc by the moon phases. Want your hair to grow, then wait till the right moon phase for that trim, lol ... have a great week Jenna ...

November 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Our first German Shepherd was named Sirius after the constellation. My sons named her that because when they were younger, they were really into the stars and constellations...Our second German Shepherd is now Cyrus (male this time). Spelled differently, but we say it the same!

Love your posts - your words are really poetry.

November 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Beautiful. Funny how all that drama is right there for us. No need to plug into a wall to enjoy.

November 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger bree said...

Thanks for taking me there with you Jenna! Neat.

November 7, 2011 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Deb Naydan said...

What a great picture you paint with your words.

November 7, 2011 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger bookkm said...

This post better make it into your next memoir.

November 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Pomona said...

It was lovely to read this - and I must learn to be as positive as you are about the cold dark mornings!

Pomona x

November 8, 2011 at 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home