Friday, November 4, 2011

Sheep Lawn Mowers, and Other Go-Getters

Several readers sent me this story, and thank you for doing so because I got a kick out of seeing other freaks with sheeps driving across the landscape/ Read this Times piece about Sheep as Lawn Mowers and Other Go-Getters, it's a gas. And thanks to all the Jar entries coming in! Farm's warm tonight with good friends, cold beer, and hot stoves. May you all have a great Friday night! And please get back to me if you asked to come to a workshop, waiting to hear from a bunch of you about reservations. Night!
OBERLIN, Ohio
In this verdant lawn-filled college town, most people keep their lawn mowers tuned up by oiling the motor and sharpening the blades. Eddie Miller keeps his in shape with salt licks and shearing scissors.

Mr. Miller, 23, is the founder of Heritage Lawn Mowing, a company that rents out sheep — yes, sheep — as a landscaping aid. For a small fee, Mr. Miller, whose official job title is “shepherd,” brings his ovine squad to the yards of area homeowners, where the sheep spend anywhere from three hours to several days grazing on grass, weeds and dandelions.

The results, he said, are a win-win: the sheep eat free, saving him hundreds of dollars a month in food costs, and his clients get a freshly cut lawn, with none of the carbon emissions of a conventional gas-powered mower. (There are, of course, other emissions, which Mr. Miller said make for “all-natural fertilizer.”)

“They countrify a city,” Mr. Miller said of his four-legged staff. “And they lend a lot of awareness about how people lived in the past.”...

Read the rest here at NYTIMES.com

12 Comments:

Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Love it!

November 4, 2011 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

This is AWESOME! Makes me want a couple for my yard and to share with all of my neighbors. Too bad Boston is so picky about livestock. I think a couple of sheep would be harder to slip unter the radar than a couple of chickens! But, I do know of a couple of sheep just two miles away, I wonder if I could have them over for a snack?

November 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I bet you could!

November 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Man, I wish I could get this guy to come a few hours south to my neck of the woods. Time to propose the idea to some of my friends with livestock. Goats would be great too - only thing I know that can get rid of multaflora rose with any effectiveness.

November 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Some of the sheep are Jacobs. We have a local breeder here close by in the SF bay are who has a beautiful flock. I went out to check on getting some eventually.

November 4, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Dom said...

Wish u can make it
lawn mower reviews

November 5, 2011 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jasper would trim your lawns, lickety split.

anyone want to start a mini-horse lawnnibblin' enerprise?!

November 5, 2011 at 5:48 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jacobs always look like giant corkscrews with mold

November 5, 2011 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Green Zebra Market Garden said...

Very cool! I bet you could do that with goats too.

November 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger E said...

Fine as long as $2/day is all you need...
or if you're willing to run a large flock (including feeding thru the winter).

But it makes a cute story.

November 5, 2011 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I like how some farmers today are using sheep for weed and grass management. Especially in hop yards, orchards and vineyards.

November 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Dard said...

I never knew about this one. Thanks for sharing such wonderful and informative post. Really helps me a lot
Recharge Mower

February 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home