Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving from Cold Antler Farm!

It is Thanksgiving morning and this farmhouse is alive with good smells, good work, and woodsmoke! I started my day off with a call to my family (they are very sad I can't be around for the holidays) to wish them well. Right after I placed my brined bird in the over with a butter-herb rub all over the 17 pounds of goodness. I stayed up till midnight baking three loaves of farmhouse white (two for dinner, one for stuffing), and my first-ever homemade pumpkin pie. I used my own butter crust recipe and a heirloom variety of pie pumpkin called a Long Pie. It turned out perfectly, thanks to a recipe that has been handed down in our family for several generations. When I took a bite of the mini "tester-pie" I was 7 years old again in my grandmother's dining room, all I needed to make it complete was a glass of gingerale with a maraschino cherry in it and I had myself a time machine.

I made the cranberry sauce and it is chilling in the fridge, kale and onion stuffing is in the crock pot pre-gaming till the oven is ready to brown it. I only have some mashed potatoes to cook up yet, but that's pretty much just peel, chop, boil, strain, and add all the butter and herbs you can handle. I have some celtic music playing on Pandora, and three dogs wondering when something will drop off the stove or oven so they can stop salivating around this joint.

I'm serving 6 today, and it is my first time ever taking on this sort of holiday meal. My friends Diane, Chrissy, and Tyler will be here, and so will Ed and his family from theslowcook.com. Ed and his family are moving from the DC area to Washington County to follow their dream of farming. When they said they would be up this way and eating Thanksgiving dinner in a hotel I instantly invited them here. They happily accepted and suggested some amazing side dishes they could bring. I didn't realize it off the bat, but hot dang, they are professional chefs! (HAHA No pressure!) But I'm not worried, I can cook, and it should be an amazing day dedicated to good food and good friends. I got a bonfire, wool blankets, and hard cider waiting for after dinner. It will be a grand day.

All the best wishes to you and yours on this special day. Be grateful and kind on this Thursday. Talk slower, love deeper, and open up your hearts to peace.

23 Comments:

Blogger shepherdkelly said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Jenna!

November 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Sylvan said...

I'm salivating just reading about your feast, Jenna. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your gathering and this cyber-community.

Cheers!!!

November 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Katou said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Jenna! Enjoy your meal with yours friends.

November 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger Kelpie and Collie said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jenna, food sounds delish!

November 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Happy Thanksgiving from the Phony Farm in Middle TN, Jenna. Your meal sounds wonderful, filled with country hand-made-at-home things.

Wondering if you would post the pumpkin pie recipe. I must be the only person in TN who cans and freezes pumpkin. Do other readers of CAF process pumpkins?

November 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger bellananda said...

happy thanksgiving to you, too, m'dear! i'm giving thanks this year at my parents' new place in the arizona bush, a real switch from our midwestern-kansas tradition. but here, there's a hot tub and a lovely pool-with-waterfall(!), which i'm enjoying listening to just now as i read and gaze out over the valley, and i've hardly needed shoes all week! haha

hope your day is warm, rich, and bright! *toasts*

(p.s. -- you have my complete empathy in the nervewracking work of cooking for chef-guests. my neighbor is a great one, and i somehow survived cooking a dinner-for-eight including him and his wife, and they couldn't have been more gracious and kind, cleaning their plates with gusto. so if i can pull it off, you'll do just fine! *grin*)

November 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger JeanineH said...

You could skip a step or two on your mashed potatoes if you peel, slice, steam em.... then they're ready for mashing with no straining (plus you only need 2 cups of water or so to steam them... maybe more if you've got lots of mouths to feed ) but it takes way less water and effort than boiling and straining.

Plus it saves water (I live with purchased 18L jugs of water currently) as the well water isn't fit for consumption

November 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I will post the recipe!

November 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you Jenna! Your feast sounds incredible!

November 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Simple Pleasures said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jenna! When you have time please share your stuffing recipe with me. Thanks Gobble, Gobble!
xoxo

November 24, 2011 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

What a beast feast!

November 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Happy T-Day, Jenna! I hope you enjoy your time with friends and don't have too many surprises.

I defrosted the turkey I bought and noticed a problem right away. It smelled bad.

So, today, sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, vegetables, wine, cheesecake, tea. And laughter.

November 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger jim said...

and a happy thanksgiving to our favorite farmer,writer, computer gal---you will have a wonderful day and we'll be thinking of you and all of our friends at our table and in our prayers. remember to give a little to the three pups to-{unconditional love from that avenue and maybe a carrot for the pony]

November 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Melleah said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger bree said...

Jenna, Happy Thanksgiving to you today. One of the things I am grateful for is you and your blog. Thank you for that lovely post today even though you are very busy. I wish you hugs today too-lots and lots of hugs!

Bless you Jenna.

November 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Windswept Farm said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Windswept Farm said...

"When I took a bite of the mini 'tester-pie' I was 7 years old again in my grandmother's dining room, all I needed to make it complete was a glass of gingerale with a maraschino cherry in it and I had myself a time machine."

What a perfect image of a real time machine. For me it was my Mom's extra pumpkin pie filling in a blue on the outside and white on the inside Pyrex rectangle that I have in my kitchen today.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

November 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Whosyergurl said...

Sounds wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving from our little farmette to yours.
Cheryl

November 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger damnyankee said...

A very Happy Thanksgiving to you Jenna. Your meal sounds fabulous.

November 24, 2011 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Tora Consolo said...

Happy turkey day Jenna, I hope it was wonderful!

November 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

We will look forward to how it all turned out! Sounds like a table to be proud of!

November 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

"Talk slower, love deeper, and open up your hearts to peace" - I love this line.

Many blessings to you and yours.

November 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Your feast is one I aspire to serve on my own table someday. I was browsing around Ed's website and stumbled upon his homemade turkey stock post. Thanks to that today was spent carving, hammering, and simmering my turkey carcass into delicous stock. Tomorrow will bring turkey soup! My dog also says thank you for all the "scraps" he got.

November 26, 2011 at 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home