Saturday, November 12, 2011

Em C G D

Tonight I played my guitar for the first time in months. I sat down by the large glass doors under a moon so bright it cast shadows across the floor. Next to the wood stove, on a brown sheepskin, I played the only four chords I need. I played, and sang, my favorite song and it was as if I never let that neck leave my hands. Some things stick with you, and you can't shake them out of your head. I don't think I'll ever forget the lyrics and chords to that anthem. Someday, I will play it on a 1950's J-45 so worn down from years of music that I will feel like a child when I finally pull it against me. Good guitars already understand the whole world. We can catch up to them if we're willing to try.

You can put off your dreams, your desires, your careers, your farms. You can avoid your responsibilities, obligations, promises, and sovereign rights. You can pretend a million things in this world do no matter, and turn your back on them all. But any person who wants to make music and doesn't, for any reason, is a goddamned fool.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I'm learning my guitar. Practicing and making progress. Music is soothing to my mind and soul.

November 12, 2011 at 8:08 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

Amen to that! I wanted to learn fiddle (thank you Jenna) and so I started 2.5 years ago at the age of 48. This spring I decided I wanted to play the piano that sits in my living room looking pretty, so I'm working on that, too. Nobody told me I couldn't and several people (including VERY supportive family) told me I could...so I did. Music keeps me afloat.

November 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thank you so much for this. I haven't played my guitar for 4 years because of a hurt feeling, that I have long since forgiven and buried, I just got in the habit of not playing. Don't get me wrong, I dapple in some other musical schtuff, but that doesn't mean I'm not a fool.

November 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger jim said...

love following you through the years but truly do not think the occasional "salty language" makes the blog better, i have a 13 year old grandaughter who reads you religiously------thanks for all you do for the farming dreams

November 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home