Saturday, November 19, 2011

the angels laid them away

Josh Ritter, a favorite singer songwriter of mine, wrote this ballad for his latest album. The studio version is an amazing, powerful, and complicated piece. It has horns and strings and a lot of gritty nostalgia to it. But when I found him playing this solo piece in Notting Hill on a Gibson J-45 (my dream guitar, and the thing Gibson the Border Collie is named after), I just had to share it. Ballads seem to be a forgotten art now. Outside country music and the occasional pop accident, an entire moral story told through song is rare. But here we have a new song, with shout-outs to old songs like Barbara Allen in verse and spirit. Give it a listen, you won't regret it.

And for those of you waiting on pins and needles:
The Strumstick Winner is Pit Stop Farm!

More giveaways coming up from New England Illustrated, Outrun Press, Halycon Yarn and more!

10 Comments:

Blogger Goat Song said...

Congratulations, Pit Stop Farm!!! You are going to LOVE your Strumstick!!! :D

November 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Trekout2 said...

Yea for pit stop farm...

November 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Congrats Pit Stop!

That guittar reminds me of the Kalamazoo my grandfather played as he sang to me when I was a little girl. Beautiful sound.

November 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Pit Stop, contact me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com

November 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Love this Ritter ballad. Thanks, Jenna. A great way to start a Sunday morning.

November 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger E said...

A great ballad but Mississippi John Hurt recorded it in the 1960's so it's hardly new.

November 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Yes, it's on a Garcia/Grisman album as well...

November 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! I NEVER win anything! This is amazing!!!!! I was busy all weekend putting up the last of my harvest into the freezer so I didn't have time to visit the blog. Wow. Simply amazing. THANK YOU!!!!

November 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

I also have to say this video of Josh Ritter really moved me. Deeply.

November 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger becky said...

it may have the same tune as john hurt's but the words are not the same

November 23, 2011 at 3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home