Sunday, October 30, 2011

pablo in the kitchen

This is the last of the sunflowers. I'm not sure if it will bloom or not? It seems to want to. It sure has been through a lot. It was planted in May, grew up hidden by tomato plants and basil (thus its stunted size), and when a horrid frost was coming I cut it and brought her inside with the rest. The other seed mates have bloomed and died long ago, the leaves are dried and scattered. But this little bud seems to be holding out, and so I put it in a mason jar by the window. Makes me want to read Pablo Neruda and dance in the kitchen. How can you not want to dance with Pablo when there are sunflowers thinking of blooming on a 20 degree night with snow on your sheep's back.

Oh, the mad coupling of hope and force!

5 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I love Neruda, but this Dylan Thomas piece is what instantly came to mind for me...

The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my green age; that blasts the roots of trees
Is my destroyer.
And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
My youth is bent by the same wintry fever.

October 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Love it. Some times poetry makes me want to slap my knee.

October 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Deltaville Jamie said...

I love Pablo! Now I want to skip work, go home, get a fire going and pull out all my books of poetry

October 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Melina said...

I love Pablo. We planted some sunflowers that survived the storm. Amazing.

October 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM  
OpenID T. Crockett said...

I saw this and instantly wondered if you are familiar with another sheep owning, sunflower loving knitter named Kristin Nicholas.

Check out her post about what happens when the power goes out in a snow storm and the sheep realize they're free. It's pretty funny.

http://getting-stitched-on-the-farm.blogspot.com/2011/11/unexpected-adventure.html

November 3, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home