Thursday, October 13, 2011

preparations are underway...
Request a photo of Antlerstock!

Preparations for Antlerstock are in full force. I spent most of the day running errands and getting groceries. Tomorrow a lot of pies and quiches will be baked, pork will be set into the slow cooker, supplies set up, signs painted, and much more. Folks are emailing and checking in already, from all over.

Tonight Tara (from Texas's Ghost Dog Hollow Farm) and I went to a talk at Northshire books, which was okay, but the ride there and back talking was even better. I never met Tara until tonight. She was only a face and a blog, someone in the comments. Today we shopped for distilled water and navy beans in Shaw's. If it wasn't for this blog, so many friends would never come out of the woodwork.

I'm very grateful.

Beans are soaking tonight for tomorrow's crock pot. Getting up extra early for a swine-inspired road trip north to pick up a pig or two (we'll see how my haggling skills have grown). Today Swiss Family Daughton stopped over to help me muck out and re-bed the small pen for the shoats in the barn. Tomorrow Brett, Raven, and her friend Mikaela will be here around 3 or 4PM to settle in and help set up all the stations and registration table. Looks like there's a chance of rain, but as Brett suggested, I'll do my sun dance and know it'll be enough. I can really cut a rug when it comes to hope, watch me go.

Tim will be here Saturday to take photo's, and if you have any suggestions for him of things you want to see images of: comment here and let him know. And I'll do my best to update, but it may have to wait till monday (outside videos and photos) because I have three nights of houseguests, I hope you understand.

Wish you were all here, and if it goes well I'll make this a regular fall event. And in the meantime, consider another workshop, because they are becoming a heartbeat of this farm, and not just financially. They bring people, stories, faces, and other farmers to life for me. Saturday night a campfire will glow with friends and music. If I had my druthers, everyone of you who wanted to come would be sipping hard cider and listening to fiddle tunes in my backyard.

Wish us sun, safety, and enough to eat!

21 Comments:

Blogger Jasmine said...

Oh, how I wish so too!
I love my home, and I love the unique changing of seasons here in Alaska; but sometimes, in October I long for the leaves and the light and the frosts and the apple orchards and pumpkins and white farmhouses of my childhood in New England. Maybe one year I'll make it to Antlerstock...

I hope you, Jenna, are invigorated and energized - not exhausted - by the coming weekend... and I hope you, all, have an amazing time!

also... "swiss family daughton" - love it!

www.bunchberryfarm.blogspot.com

October 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger bree said...

Sounds like it will be a weekend to remember. Wish I could join you!

October 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Wish we could be there too! Maybe next time. Sending lots of positive energy for the weekend to go exactly as you would like it. :)

October 13, 2011 at 11:37 PM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Break a leg with Antlerstock! Would love to be there ... another year. :-D

October 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

So wish we were there--have a great time, Jenna!

October 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

If I get into the grad school I'm applying to, I fully plan on attending a workshop. I'll be so much closer...sure, still a heafty drive, but it's a lot better than the current drive!

October 14, 2011 at 12:18 AM  
Blogger kaelak said...

Wheee! We can't wait for tomorrow!

October 14, 2011 at 12:52 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

At San Diego airport waiting to board...en route to Antlerstock. Fairly sure that I am the only person on the flight with a pair of muck boots in my backpack!

October 14, 2011 at 1:01 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Wishing you sunshine by day, cool, crisp air for the campfire and new friends for a lifetime. Wish I could be there, but I'll be thinking of all of you. Have fun!

October 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

Sending sunshine your way. Have a blast! Wish I could be there too!

October 14, 2011 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger sara amber said...

I'm so bummed I couldn't find a way to make it up there for this weekend...just couldn't swing it with going to Baltimore AND Kansas later this month. (Plus, mom's having a birthday tea party for us on Sunday!)

I hope it's amazing, lady! Can't wait to read all about it.

October 14, 2011 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Wish I could come! But glad I at least got to see you last month at the Mother Earth News Fair! I'll be praying for that sun to come out for y'all! Hope it all goes well. I'm sure it will!

October 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Ok Tim, I'd like to see shots of Jenna giving a workshop, and of the pumpkin carving process and results. And sheep. And pigs, assuming there are some to photograph!

Jenna, I hope it all goes as planned, with only the good kind of surprises. Are you planning on using Jasper for the woodlot workshop? You haven't mentioned him in a while.

October 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

Would love to be there to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow self sufficiency subscribers. Have a great weekend.

October 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

here's wishing y'all some sunshine and a great weekend! wishing we could be there, too! we'll be having some hard cidar and thinking about you guys having a blast up there!

October 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger TransFarmer said...

I think some shots of Jasper would be good to see.

October 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh how I long for the cool, beautiful weather of Veryork fall. It was 101 here in So Cal yesterday -- yuck!!!

It all sounds so grand. Would love to be part of it. Maybe next time.

Raise a glass of cider, we'll be with you in spirit.

October 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM  
OpenID Matt said...

Sounds like your all set for a lot of fun this weekend. Really wish we could join you. Perhaps in a year or two. Looking forward to photos and videos.

In the meantime, if anyone is ever in the midwest, would love to meet up with some CAF folks.

October 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Y'all have fun! And cannot wait to see pictures and hear all about the great time everyone will have. I am wishing you all the best weather and the best time. Wish I could be there.

October 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Trekout2 said...

Jenna, Lisa and I are sending up some Texas sunshine for the weekend it will be there at day break and last all weekend enjoy. The power of positive thinking ;) I hope we can make it next year. Have fun everyone.

October 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Have a wonderful time! I have just arrived in Chicago (from australia!) and it kills me that I am so close, yet so far, from Antlerstock. And I'm coming through on the train to NYC on Tuesday night.

October 15, 2011 at 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home