Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy October from Cold Antler Farm!

So it begins! October is my favorite time of the year, my favorite holiday, my favorite air, and smells, and traditions. It's a rainy start this weekend, sure (and I am fighting off a bit of a cold) but the stock is dry and warm, hay and grain has been fed, and I am looking forward to having some company stop by soon for a day inside, baking with breaks for shotgun target practice outside. (I am dead accurate now with my .22, but enjoy boning up on my shotgun before bird and deer season!). I'm making a pumpkin pie out of an antique variety of squash called Long Pie, which looks like a stretched out greenish tinted pie pumpkin. I got my grandmother's pie recipe from my mother, from the 1936 American Stove Company Cookbook: a Woginrich standard. Excited to give it a try. We usually use long-neck white squash for our holiday pies but this might be the bees' knees, this Long Pie. Intrigue!

So that's my rainy day: company in the kitchen. I have two gallons to stout to brew and The wood stove can crank later on if I'm jonesing for some comfort (and if it gets chilly enough). Today is all about friends, shotguns, pie, and pulled pork for tomorrow's Annual Apple Cider Pressing Potluck. The whole Sunday morning will be spent collecting apples around here and the afternoon is dedicated to taking turns at the press and prepping our carboys for hard cider brewing! I'll be lugging along my pig, pie, and fiddle! And in a few months the bottles will clink! Happy October to you all!

Fiddle Winner Announced at 5PM EST Tonight!
You Have till then to get in an entry! (See a few posts down!)

photo by 468photography

9 Comments:

Blogger Dawn Dutton said...

Same to you Jenna.......

October 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

purty picture! Happy October!

October 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Ruth @ Hope, Joy and Faith Farm said...

It is totally my favorite month. Last night my 15 year old daughter said "tomorrow we can get out the Halloween decorations". Hubby's off hunting and I'm praying he DOESN'T fill his tag first day of season, as he will be very bored the rest of the month. There is a feeling in the air of needing to nest (nope, I'm not expecting), an urgency to get the "winter to-do's" done, and a crisp smell that makes my toes tingle.

October 1, 2011 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Yeah, you've worked hard to reach October in good shape. Is that your picture? It's gorgeous.

What's the status on the roof repair? Is that gonna be done before snow flies? I suppose it's a sign of a true farmer that you made sure the sheep shelter was done before looking to your own. :)

October 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Happy October to you and yours, Jenna. I love this time of year...

October 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM  
OpenID barntalkblog said...

Happy October! I look very forward to this month all year, too. It's very rainy here in PA, but I hope soon that it will clear up and be beautiful.

-Autumn

October 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

LOVE OCTOBER!

October 1, 2011 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Great to know we are all enjoying this month and the calm that harvest brings. Sure it's wet and miserable today, but it's clearing in the west and Hurricane Ophelia is tracking out of the area and towards Newfoundland and the open Atlantic. Now we will have a lovely respite of bright brisk days before November brings rain, cold and snow. Hope everyone enjoys!!

October 1, 2011 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger Sewing Machine Girl said...

Hey Jenna, how about sharing that recipe? :)

October 1, 2011 at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home