Tuesday, October 11, 2011

getting ready under the full moon

Just in from a night of chores under the full moon. It's so big and bright out there that I could see fine without a lantern. Everyone got their feed and water, head counts and health checks completed. The sheep are eating their minerals up and seem well, but a few Blackfaces are still too thin. I called the vet tonight and she said older sheep sometimes need new types of dewormers, since both the wormers and the sheep have grown tolerances to the medicine. She gave me some names of injectable types she swears by and I'll order them soon as I can.

I was working until dark because right after work I needed to pick up 42 pumpkins from Othniel down at Common Sense. He had picked them up at a wholesale market and they were waiting for me in their barn. I was so happy with them, all fat and round, my truck is still loaded up with them. I need to go back out and cover them up from the rain headed our way. I welcome it. The pasture needs it (what's left of it at least).

I'm tired, but excited. My friend Raven is coming up from maryland and I haven't seen her since college. We talk on the phone all the time, but it has been five years since we shared a cup of tea. I'm excited to share my world and community with her, and for her to meet characters in my life I've been telling her about for years.

I would have posted a photo of the pumpkins, but the moon isn't that bright. My iphone doesn't have the chops for that sort of work, and I'm currently lacking a digital camera, but I'll wrangle one of them up soon enough, I'm sure.

Sleep well.


P.S. Winners of the Just In Case giveaway announced tomorrow!

13 Comments:

Blogger doglady said...

The moon was enough light to do night chores. I picked wild bog Cranberries on a coastal island today. It was one of those absolutely perfect afternoons on the downeast coast of Maine.

October 11, 2011 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thanks Jen, seeing a comment on this post made me feel better tonight. I've been stressed out, and knowing someone is reading makes me rest easier.

honored to share this moon with you!

October 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger Jeane said...

No chores to be done here, but enjoying the big'ol full moon here in the Midwest. You can rest assured that your supporters are here reading and hoping you have a successful Antlerstock weekend. Jenna, it sounds like you've put your all into this event, how could it not be grand! Get your rest....you're in for a big time!

October 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

My son and I went out to view the hunter's moon and alas....complete cloud coverage last night.

October 12, 2011 at 6:40 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Montero said...

re. wormers. I used an injectable ivermectin on my sheep when they had a heavy worm burden, and it worked brilliantly.

If it's the same thing, let me give you a heads up: the wormer seems to cause immediate but fleeting pain. Don't be surprised if your sheep reacts like a bucking bronc, and runs backwards. I didn't know about this reaction and I thought I'd hit a nerve the first time.

I worm before tupping, and the ewes/lambs when lambs are eating more grass and less milk (also switch pasture just after). But now that my vets does a faecal worm count service, I get that done every spring. It tells you if your worm programme is working, and when it is, you get to feel smug and capable for the rest of the day.

October 12, 2011 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger Grant Wagner said...

Do I need to point out the irony of having a friend name Raven from the home of Edgar Allan Poe?

October 12, 2011 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger CallieK said...

No moon to see here last night either as the winds picked up and brought the clouds. Jenna, sometimes photos can't capture things as well as you do with words.

October 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Sara D said...

Jenna, I have a wormer suggestion for you. It's an herbal type that has received tons of great reviews. From Fias Co Farm's owner Molly. Check out her website and read the reviews. I use mine on my goats, but other customers use it on all sorts of other animals. She has other herbal supplements that people swear by too. It's kind of a nice move away from typical medicinal treatments.
https://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

October 12, 2011 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Trekout2 said...

Full moon over Texas last night...Already missing the cool air of New York... Have fun this weekend G&L

October 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM  
OpenID failbetterfarm said...

I love that your posts are a huge reality check every time I read them. I dream of having a farm but I'm afraid my dreams end up more fiction than reality. I try to do what I can with what I have to build up my skills in preparation for a future farm life, and your posts always keep me grounded and help me realize just how much further I have to go!

October 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

Was taking in the moon myself last night...it was so bright I could read without a light on the back porch no kidding. Awesome to share time with old friends…enjoy!

October 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Sewing Machine Girl said...

we use diatomaceous earth (feed grade) on all critters from chickens to dogs to people. A little bit goes a long way. And, no tolerance from the worms, this is a mechanical control. May want to check your grazing plan and do a serious look at rotational grazing with a serious mind to getting the sheep on a pasture cycle that keeps them out of their own wormy manure. This breaks the cycle of reinfection. There is an art to it. A farmer's art. May be difficult with the acreage you run though. But there may be something you can still do.

October 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

SD, I have heard of these but never knew how to get them thanks, I will try!

And rotational grazing is the plan, SMG, i just need to work up to the infastructure here. It took two years to get things fenced!

October 13, 2011 at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home