Wednesday, September 28, 2011

updates and etc

It was a half day in the office yesterday, I took the morning off. I thought it was wise to slink back into my old routine instead of jumping in. But the half day was one of those non-stop barrages of changes, information, and complications that only exist in the world of online marketing. It's quite the culture shock, going from the real world of agriculture into the contrived-urgencies of the office. Hoof rot is a problem. A jammed printer is not.

I was completely reenergized by this weekend, and thrilled at the amount of people I saw buzzing like a happy hive from workshop-to-workshop. 10,000 people were there to learn how to milk a goat, spin alpaca wool, and plant garlic after the first frost. If you ever get the chance to head to the Pennsylvania fair, do so. It will leave your mind and heart reeling. The people were all so positive (even the peak oil speakers were smiling). And I especially loved just walking around the fair grounds with Gibson, taking it all in. The twenty hours of driving was totally worth it. And it got me REALLY excited for Antlerstock, which is turning into quite the event. Last night Othniel from Common Sense Farm asked if anyone wanted to come to an herbalism workshop at their greenhouse Sunday Morning, a 70-year-old elder will be hand pressing Echinacea into viles for folks who want to learn to use the healing herb. Tamine, their chicken Guru, will give a big talk on the history of the chicken and our culture on Saturday too!

A few of you are arriving Thursday night, and will be helping prepare all day Friday with me. Expect to get up early for a run to the market for pumpkin by the bin and a full day of slow cooking local pork for Saturday with some cider.

Update for 2010-2011 CSA members!
You're wool is coming from the mill to my farm any day now, just waiting for it to arrive. But I got a phone call explaining that only Maude and Sal's wool could be made into yarn, the Blackfaces could not. I told them I had twenty people waiting for wool and they explained that they needed wool no longer than six inches to spin. (I didn't know I had to have the blackfaces cut twice a year...) but they could make it into sheets of felt for making bags, slippers, gloves, etc. I accepted that offer. So sorry for the change of plans, but all CSA members will be getting some more wool skeins, like the ones before, and felt from the blackfaces. It should be to you around Hallows, certainly before Christmas.

P.S. You have until Friday night to put in a donation chance for the Beginner Fiddle Package, scroll down a few posts for details! Winner will be announced Saturday!

photo from 468photography.com

9 Comments:

Blogger Glyndalyn said...

How would I become a member of your CSA group? Possibly I would like to get on your list for yarn made from local sheep. Thank you.
Glyndalyn from the Phoney Farm in TN

September 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Please tell Othniel I would be very interested in learning about herbalism. I have piles of books, but there's no substitute for learning about things live and in person!

September 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger E said...

Shearing twice a year is okay. I did my sheep 3 days after lambing and in late Sept/early Oct.
Buy shears and learn to do it yourself. Its not terribly difficult, just a bit intimidating...

September 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'm proud to say I was part of the happy hive at the fair! I'm 14 and I found your workshop on meat rabbits informative, educational, and just outright delightful. My brothers and I are hoping to start a rabbitry with Silver Foxes, and our hopes were reinforced by attending your workshop. Thanks a million!

September 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger goatldi said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! But a jammed printer with hoof rot , now there is a $$$$ maker. You might want to look into that :-)

September 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Elliot said...

Jenna, your comment about the contrived urgencies of the office strikes a chord with me. I'm looking to keep things real in my life and your website is a great inspiration.

September 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger Kate Mary Betty said...

I am interested in the herbalism session as well...please tell Othniel I would like to be included too...

Kathy - Windwomen Farm

September 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger cindycolombo said...

I am going to make this a sign for my office

" Hoof rot is a problem. A jammed printer is not".

So far we are only have chickens and rabbits so it is dead kits or a blocked vent but the sentiment is already so far into my bones that sometime it is so hard to take things seriously.

October 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Zev Bachmeier said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home