Friday, September 9, 2011

stove day!

That photo was taken this spring (as you can tell by the flowers), but it took since it was delivered to build up to this day. It is STOVE DAY! My Vermont BunBaker is nearly ready to use and I feel like I just won the self-preservation lottery. A wood stove means a lot to me. It means that without electricity or power to the furnace in the basement this farm will stay warm even on the coldest nights. It means that when both stoves are burning I use less foreign oil, eventually I will use none. The goal is to do a project each year that makes this North Country farm a little more energy independent. This year is wood heat. Next year: solar hot water.

I pulled an apple pie out of the oven and coffee is on the stove. The man from the Stovery in Argyle is here to install the chimney. He's a retired NYC policeman from Long Island who moved to Saratoga County a few years back. We're talking dogs, taxes, stoves, and such. Great guy. He's too professional to accept the coffee and apple pie I made for him and his partner, but I always err on refreshments for anyone who comes and does anything at this farm I can't do myself. They rarely accept, but I think the offer is appreciated.

This stove pipe, chimney, and random stove essentials will mean after today this stove will be ready to light and heat this house. It took 6 months of saving and planning to cover the over $2,000 in parts and the 500 installation fees. That might sound like a lot, but to have two men take half a day to cut holes into walls, climb high ladders, and professionally ensure my house doesn't burn down is worth it to me. I can make 500 bucks if I work extra hard. I can't buy another house. And my insurance won't cover a burned down house if I didn't get my wood stove installed by professionals and inspected by the County. Dems the breaks.

I called the Inspector too, and was quietly proud of myself for having all the right permits and code numbers he needed to set up the inspection. I went through this whole process by the books, got my chimney permit, paid the fees, got the double insulated pipe. I'm trying to do my best by this house and this amazing gift of a stove (well, barter).

Folks are coming up from the city today to film a DIY video project, about what they consider "Superstar DIYers" and I think we'll make cheese or plant some winter rye. I want to make them lunch as well, but not sure what to serve people who can eat anything they want, from any country in the world, whenever they want. So I decided some homemade pizza would work out. Pizza and apple pie are the great equalizers. Unless they have gluten allergies and are lactose intolerant, which in that case all I have is hay and balsamic vinigarettes.

More updates on the chimney (already over estimated costs, oy) and the video folks later in the day. Gibson is amazed at how one man can put a hole in his house.

Thank you to everyone who attended a workshop, bought a CSA share, books, or donated to the farm. This is where your cash goes: into projects like this. The mortgage, insurance, truck payments, and bills are still paid by my day job, but all farm animals, feed, projects, improvements, and extras (including groceries and clothes) are covered by Cold Antler itself.

And now there will be pie in my living room while it is snowing outside. Amen!

29 Comments:

Blogger Karen Rickers said...

So exciting! Yay, Jenna, you're doing great. Boy, you'll enjoy that stove this winter.

September 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Christee said...

NICE!! Apple pie is the bomb diggity!

September 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

How did you resist the post title of "A Bun in the Oven"?

I hope I didn't spoil a future blog post.

September 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

let's hope a while in the future.... no baby plans right now, thanks!!!

September 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

So glad you are finally getting this done. I wish you all the best.

September 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Congratulations! Super exciting to have such a wonderful wood stove. I can't wait til the day we have a place where we can have a wood stove and solar hot water. It'll happen eventually. Enjoy yours, and all the possibilities it brings for the cold months!

September 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

No, no, no - I meant a future blog post about the first baked goods that emerge from your new appliance.

Here's quote:
"I pulled myself together and went out into the pouring darkness and caught the bus and then took my bicycle for a final part of the journey. I was soon passing our farmyard, which adjoined the road. There it was—deserted, silent, a pocket of gloom, a nonentity of a place, something to pass by. Was it really possible, I asked myself, that this slushy yard, so humble, so lacking in all the props and appointments of Power, was yet the foundation of society?Yet so it was. Upon this the fabric rested, upon this was erected all that glittered and all that shone; and I knew that the lighted palace from which I had come where the Figures paced on the polished floor, and the Magicians emerged with food from behind the screens, could not otherwise exist at all."

If you enjoyed it, read the rest at (not my blog) http://agrariannation.blogspot.com/

It comes from a book that I haven't read yet, but just love the title - The Worm Forgives the Plow by John Stewart Collis.

Maybe I'm the last to this party, that you know of this already, but I thought I would pass it on just in case.

I assume, once given the permission, you will fire up the new stove before it is actually needed to make sure all is right with the device. Enjoy the sun today.

September 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I long ago stopped worrying about what to feed city people when they come down. They're always in awe of my humble farm food (and the fact that I can have fresh chevre whenever I want it)!

Such a great stove - I'm envious. Had I known about that one when we got our wood stove, I may have made a different choice. Ah well.

September 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Victoria Nidetch said...

Jenna you are one awesome,smart girl.
Your new stove is beautiful!

September 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thanks guys!

already a couple hundred bucks in new parts, of course, but it should be in today. Fingers crossed everything has the right clearance and codes.

September 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Drummond Farms Alpacas and Woolens said...

Yeah! You get to check another victory off your list. Way to go!

September 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger E said...

Congrats! That's great progress.

September 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm in total awe of your new stove. I just love to stop by your place time and again and read about all the adventures on your farm. Makes me feel totally excited each time around.

Have a great weekend!!!!

September 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

sooo proud for you!!! you've gotta let us know how well it works...I've been looking into those!

September 9, 2011 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

Jenna - can a 16" log fit in that stove? I believe their site states that it accepts 14". I'd like to upgrade my wood stove but currently have nearly 10 cords of firewood cut at 16" lengths.

September 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Jenna -
Yay and congrats!!! You may already know this, but as far as firing up the stove goes... be sure that you make a small but hot fire on a couple of separate occasions when you can have windows/doors open... new stoves have whatever finish they have on the cast iron - and you have to let if off-gas or burn off or whatever it does... (super technical explanation, I know!) and it STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!!! You'll notice that the look of the metal changes slightly to...


pit stop farm: I know it's extra work, but if otherwise you like the sove... cut 'em in half!

September 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger jules said...

Offer it to them after they are done. They might just take you up on it then. Especially if you show up with a tray with pie and coffee already served up.

Glad you got that done. Good for you Jenna!

September 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

I would LOVE to know how you like the stove, when you've got it up and running good! :) It looks like such a cute stove, but it also looks really small! I keep telling myself that I would only need a small stove for myself, but I've lived in a family of 12 for so long, that it's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that one person does not need a huge monstrosity. LOL. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I start cooking for ONLY myself... I'm still gonna' be pulling out the 13"x15" pans, and the 10 quart stock pot. Oy. ;)

Congrats on the new addition! Having a wood stove is a lot like having a toddler around... ;D

September 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

So I know the stove is on the smaller side, and if it was my only heat source it would be too small for a whole house. But it is one of two wood stoves on the base floor in a 1100 square foot house with only about 500 square feet on the lower level. (upstairs has no plumbing) so if I had too, I could heat all the water pipes and house downstairs and shut off the upstairs, but the head may rise too! This house originally had grates and vents in the floors for that very reason.

I think if you are heating a kitchen/family room combo like here it is perfect.

I think as a supplemental heat source and off-grid stove it will be amazing. And Jasmine, I will do as you said, that's what the people told me about the finish and smells. One of these days I will crank it just to start that process with all the windows open.

And Goatdli, I will certainly let you know how it works out!!!

September 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger melinamarie said...

So happy for you. I think it's awesome that you can make bread with it.

September 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

What a great next step! Congrats on gettin' her all settled in! Enjoy the heat!

September 9, 2011 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Jen (emsun.org) said...

Congratulations on your stove, Jenna.

September 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

You will love your new stove! We have heated with wood for yrs. and just upgraded our stove. So nice to come in from the cold and warm yourself. Does your stove use different types of fuel and can you cook with it? From the Phoney Farm in TN.

September 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Congratulations Jenna and I know just how you feel, although since we had our stove installed on a July day I had a few month's wait to light it1

If you're serious about burning wood and getting off foreign oil for heating, you ought to look into planting yourself a woodlot, and the most economical way to get what you can from that woodlot is to coppice it. I wrote a quick post on my blog about coppicing but there's lot's of information online as well. It basically lets you keep harvesting wood off the same tree over and over again, so you're only planting once. A super-sustainable practice if there ever was one.

I wish you many cozy nights with your stove!

September 9, 2011 at 10:20 PM  
OpenID kindsofhoney said...

I am painfully jealous of your wood stove! How beautiful.

September 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

What a barrow-load of perfect news, Jenna! Congrats!

September 9, 2011 at 11:45 PM  
Blogger Karen Sue said...

I have 2 fireplaced in a 70's house, which means they are mostly for looks. I have a bit of lust for something so functional and good looking!!

September 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Amateur Yankee said...

A southerner turned Vermonter - I've finally made peace with my woodstove, and hardly leave its side in winter. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who pushes refreshments on kind workers.

September 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM  
OpenID hotriver004 said...

great,Your new stove is beautiful!


chimney pipe

January 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home