Thursday, September 22, 2011

Off to the FAIR!

It is pouring outside, a big loud storm. I just closed the latch on the coop as it raced down the mountain. It's such an intense thing to experience, hearing the storm and pounding water getting closer and closer, as you remain dry knowing it's only a matter of time... Then the clouds burst and the sky flashed and I got soaked on my way back into the house. Gibson watched from the French doors. He never understands why I would ever farm without him? Even if it just closing a coop in the rain.

It took me the entire afternoon to prepare to leave. By the time the front lawn was mowed, the sheep de-wormed, and the truck cleaned up inside I was spent. I looked at Gibson and told him to jump in the truck. We drove into the damp town of Cambridge to enjoy one of the last warm Thursday nights in town.

I love Thursday nights in Cambridge. The Co-op, bookstore, and Common Ground Cafe are all open till 8, meaning you can grab a magazine or a novel, local eats, and a warm meal all within a few feet of each other. Common Ground was packed with locals and tourists alike. I saw Bliss, who takes yoga classes with me on Friday and runs the Tuesday night music circle. I think she is starting the monthly contra dances in town too? And I know most of the folks at Common Sense Farm (this is their cafe), so I just sat at the counter with some kids and got soup and a veggie wrap and iced tea. I sat near the giant stone fireplace and realized this winter I have a hangout just a few miles down the road, and if I get overwhelmed I can come take off my scarf and sit near the fire and talk with folks from neighboring farms over coffee and cream cheese pie. KNowing this made my veggie wrap taste even better.

So I'm off for the big show. The truck has been washed, vacuumed, oil changed and tank filled. The farm animals have all been seen to with fresh bedding, water, and topped-off feeders. Jazz and Annie are at the kennel/doggy spa in Bennigton. And only Gibson and I remain in the farm house as the thunder rumbles over Washington County. Early tomorrow morning when the couple that is housesitting arrives to take over the role as Head Antler around here. Then Gibson and I will be on the great American Highway by sunrise, chasing it south as we head into Pennsylvania and west towards Pittsburgh for the Mother Earth News Fair. I'll be there for the whole weekend, giving a keynote speech Saturday night and several workshops throughout the two-day event. I hope to meet some of you out there, and take advantage of some of the speakers and workshops myself (Joel Salatin is talking Sunday night!). I will try and update from the festival, but that might get tricky as I don't have a laptop, iPad, or other fancy somesuches of technomobility. I do have a cracked iPhone though! So I'm not a total Luddite. I'll make due.

Here's to a safe trip! See ya at the Fair!


P.S. Here is my page on the Fair's site, tells you about when and where I'll be in the fray

42 Comments:

Blogger goatldi said...

Have a wonderful time. I was rather miffed when MEN cancelled the Fair for Ca. Was really looking forward to it!

September 22, 2011 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

wonder why they did?

September 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger sara amber said...

it totally figures that the weekend i'm heading north to new york (harvest festival, yay!), you're heading down here into pa! have fun and knock 'em dead, lady!

September 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Kathy P. said...

You're in a good place for what you do - Cambridge and Washington County sound wonderful. I envy you a bit. Over here in central NY, there's no culture of sustainability and self reliance at all. There's some urban homesteading going on in Syracuse and Albany, but that's 50 and 90+ miles away from me. Anyway, have a safe trip to PA and enjoy yourself too. I'm sure it will be fun.

September 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger nawrockifamily said...

Can't wait to meet you! Safe travels :-)

September 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Sara O said...

Great video! very inspirational, I wish I could make it to PA to hear you speak as well.

September 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Trekout2 said...

Outstanding Video... Wish I too could make it to PA ... Have a good time and be sure to let us know how it goes.

September 22, 2011 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

Thought you might like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuzhwkaNC40&feature=share

September 22, 2011 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

This video is just the shot in the arm I needed! Thank you! and have a great trip!

September 23, 2011 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oh my goodness. . .that video was wonderful!! Hope your Fair trip is great.

September 23, 2011 at 3:12 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

You are amazing, Jenna. Very touching video.

September 23, 2011 at 6:15 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

I'm off to the Common Ground Fair in Unity Maine which is pretty much on the same plain as the MEN fair. I'll be thinking about your adventures there. Wonder what you'll bring home. Wonder what I'll bring home. Have a great time.

September 23, 2011 at 6:28 AM  
Blogger steak and eggs said...

Now... I would love to see that picture on Mother Earth News on your blog. You look so happy with joy, like your about to bust at the seams. Makes me think of the old song Donna Fargo had out "The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA".

Have fun at the fair and I hope you sell lot's of books.

September 23, 2011 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Green Zebra Market Garden said...

Wow! So inspirational! Thanks so much for making that video (plus I love Sigur Ros/Jonsi).

September 23, 2011 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Simple Pleasures said...

Wow Jenna,
That's an awesome video! I'm going to share it on my blog if that's ok.
Have a wonderful time at the fair, Wish I was able to go.
Michelle

September 23, 2011 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Tora Consolo said...

Watching your video and reading you latest entry made me cry. I feel like you my kid, Jenna. I'm so very proud of all you've acomplished this year. You're one amazing woman!

September 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Sense of Home Kitchen said...

Love the video! Have fun at the fair.

~Brenda

September 23, 2011 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Simple Pleasures said...

Here is a link to my blog were I featured you! http://simplepleasures317.blogspot.com/2011/09/visit-at-cold-antler-farm.html
Michelle

September 23, 2011 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger rabbit said...

SO love that video! The first time you posted it I saved it into my YouTube favourites playlist and whenever I need to feel inspired (for pretty much anything!) I watch it and it does thes trick! You're amazing and such an inspiration to so many-while I won't be meeting you at the MEN fair (although it'd be a great time I'm sure) I am SO impatiently waiting for antlerstock!

September 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Safe travels for you and Gibson! See you at the fair!

September 23, 2011 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Fabulous video. You're an amazing woman!!!!!!!!!

September 23, 2011 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

My God, Jenna, that video is so inspiring. Congratulations on all of your amazing accomplishments!

September 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Victoria Nidetch said...

Wonderful video Jenna, you are an inspiration! I wish I had your strength.

September 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Tiffrz-N-Kidz said...

I am so happy for you I could pop! Safe travels.

September 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger damnyankee said...

Have a great time. You're amazing Jenna. That video makes me vaklempt...

September 23, 2011 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Campbell Kids said...

Once again, I'm impressed! So much so that I've featured you (and The Bonafied Farmer) on my blog today (http://www.mysouthernheart.com) so be sure to check it out! I hope you have a wonderful time at the fair!

September 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

What an incredibly inspiring video! It would be the perfect trailer for a Cold Antler Farm documentary....;)

September 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Great video, Jenna. Have fun. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. I love Mother Earth.

September 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

What an awesome video! I just might watch it every morning for the next little while for some much-needed inspiration. Thank you!

September 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Loved the video, made me cry a little even. Plus, me n my 16 teenager chickens loved Chick Days. Next up, a goat. Thanks for sharing!

September 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Lilith said...

thank you, i enjoyed reading your blog.....'my southern heart' recommended it...

September 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger Rosybee said...

I was able to see you on sat. at the fair and it was great! thanks!

September 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM  
OpenID kindsofhoney said...

I feel silly to admit it but I kinda got teary watching that video. Sooooooo cool to watch you make your dreams unfold. Best wishes and luck and success at the fair!

September 25, 2011 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger gooddogboy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger gooddogboy said...

I watch this video on You Tube a lot. Watching it is like prayer:)

September 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger goatldi said...

Did you have fun? Find out why they cancelled CA? Nice video!

September 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger ziegefrau said...

I cannot believe what an inspiration you are! That video is amazing and I want to post it on my office wall so I can watch it every single day. You're a great story teller - the classes and keynote this wkd were truly enjoyable and I learned a lot. Thanks for the courage and showing that the dream is attainable. I can't wait to read more!

September 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Jewlz said...

Hey Jenna,

Totally random question.... I noticed your wood stove in the video you just posted and we are shopping for a wood stove currently. Yours looks like just what we are wanting, size-wise and what not. Was wondering if you know what brand and model you have (not the bun baker, the other one).
Does it heat well? Can it hold a fire overnight by any chance?
THanks for any info you have and the great inspiration you give me every day!

September 26, 2011 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Jewlz said...

Hey Jenna,

Totally random question.... I noticed your wood stove in the video you just posted and we are shopping for a wood stove currently. Yours looks like just what we are wanting, size-wise and what not. Was wondering if you know what brand and model you have (not the bun baker, the other one).
Does it heat well? Can it hold a fire overnight by any chance?
THanks for any info you have and the great inspiration you give me every day!

September 26, 2011 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I'm home!

Jewlz, it's a Vermont Castings, I think it has a 16" firebox.

September 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thanks all, it was great to meet so many readers and like minded folks!

and goatldi: I will find out for you asap

September 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a wonderful video! It nearly brought tears to my eyes to see what you have accomplished in such a short amount of time. You are awesome!

September 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home