Saturday, September 3, 2011

the cotswolds are here!

The Cotswolds have landed! At 2PM yesterday afternoon a black pickup delivered four pedigreed ewes (two mother/daughter pairs) and they have melded in perfectly with the Cold Antler flock. In the video you'll meet Pearl and her gang (Pearl has the Justin Bieber locks) and see Maude right there with them. For the first time in years, Maude is surrounded by gals that look like her, and she was instantly drawn to them. In fact, she was the first to walk up to the new recruits through the fence. Atta girl, Maude!

It was great to welcome the new sheep, and things are the farm seem to be happening at a slow and steady clip into autumn. The chimney gets installed next Friday. The new sheep shed will be up within a few weeks, or sooner. I am going to try and find a home for Lisette and her lamb (free to anyone who wants them). They are on the mend, but not ill, just no longer breeding stock. Lisette needs a barn this winter with constant grain to put on weight, and her lamb Pidge, is 100% back to good, just needs her rump shorn from dirty wool. Besides a dirty bum and needing some heavy calories, these sheep are fine as backyard lawn mowers and fiber, they just are too small for breeding here with Atlas. So if you want them, you are welcome to them. Just email me about picking them up.

Speaking of sheep: no spots left in the Black Sheep Winter Wool workshop, but if enough people are interested, I will post a second in February and source some local wool for us to learn with. I also have four bags of Alpaca wool in storage a reader gave me, and we could spin that as well!

I only have 3 spots left for the Fall Festival, and am excited to report that several states and two countries will be there! Lots of Canadians are braving south as well as Texans, Pennsylvanians, New Yorkers, Vermonters, Marylanders, Jerseys, Californians and even a pair of Arkansarians (I made that term up, but to me it is an Ozark Librarian). So excited for our two days of Homesteading Celebration!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

I say ashe is the first lamb in this video, i meant ewe-lamb. Knox was the first born.

September 3, 2011 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger USMCmom said...

Congrats on the cotswold. I am so happy for Maude too. Maybe having sheep that she identifies with will improve her disposition.

September 3, 2011 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

Awww, congrats! That is a lovely looking flock you have! :)

September 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

They have been great!

September 3, 2011 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

Glad Maude likes these girls! You are definitely going to have a crew of lambs-exciting!

**also an Arizonan.

September 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Jenna, that video made me feel positively giddy for your success--congratulations on the beautiful new additions to your sweet farm!

September 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger oukay said...

Maybe Arkansan? That is what we always used to call ourselves.

September 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM  
OpenID pawsfurme said...

Wow! You have a variety of people coming. Congrats on your workshop successes! I can attest to their awesomeness. I'd LOVE to go, but I have way too much going on this year. I'd really like to plan to attend next year's, if I can...or maybe your wool workshop. I'm more interested in the raw aspect of it My sister is the knitter. :) I wonder, though...whatever happened to Marvin? I'm not sure I ever read anywhere why he left and Joseph came into the picture.

September 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home