Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Announcing New Winter Workshops at Cold Antler!

Mountain Music!
February 4th 2012

This is going to be a fun one. A full snowy day at the farmhouse with an introduction to the mountain dulcimer, southern fiddle, and clawhammer banjo! The morning will start off around the woodstove with dogs and introductions, and then we'll go over the basics of stringed mountain instruments. You'll learn how to play a tune on the dulcimer, bow and hold a fiddle, and the clawhammer strum known as flailing. This beginner's class will be about getting acquainted with the instruments, as well as how to teach yourself. You'll learn my method of self-education that comes from using very beginner-friendly audio/visual aids like tab/cd sets as well as easy practice schedules and tips. I'll point you in the direction of good beginner instruments and anyone who already has a fiddle, dulcimer, or banjo laying around they want some re-upping of inspiration on: bring it along! We'll spend the entire day getting group and one-on-one instruction. and eat some amazing slow-cooked pork and potatoes with apple pie for dessert! We'll have drawing for a mountain dulcimer too, so some one will go home with music in their hands!

MEAT & BEER PARTY
Feb 25th 2012

Yup. Just like it sounds! We're going to learn some meat basics, including home sausage making, perfect crock-pot pork BBQ, the herb-buttered oven roasted chicken, and introducing rabbit into your diet. There will also be running conversation over the ethics of meat, and how to support and raise your own even on a small scale. Also, home brewing 101. How to start making beer at home, and includes how to bottle and store. I'm going to get some pros involved in this (Alli and Collin..cough cough) We'll be giving away a beermaking kit from Northern Brewer as a drawing!

Urban Homesteading 101
March 24th 2012

This will be a workshop for those of you in the suburbs or the city who want to take a daytrip out to the farm and learn about what can be done to be more self-sufficient in your own backyards or fire escapes. We'll start the day learning to bake bread from scratch (no bread machines or kitchen aids here, folks!) and cheese making 101. The entire morning will be these two domestic basics: bread and cheese and for lunch we'll be enjoying our morning's creations! (as well as other potluck goodies). The afternoon will go over container and small-space gardening, introduction to vermi-composting, backyard chicken basics, and small-scale rabbitries. Everyone who comes along leaves with heirloom seeds ready-to-plant for early season crops and all you need to make a few pounds of mozzarella at home! There will be a drawing for a small library of urban farm books too!

Sign up for these, or any of the workshops below by emailing me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com

And for anyone interested in other dates of upcoming workshops!

Antlerstock 2012!
Full!
October 15th-16th

Black Sheep Wool Workshop
(full, but if people are interested, I'll have a second one)
January 28th 2012

Mountain Music!
12 spots available
February 4th 2012

Urban Homesteading 101
15 spots available
March 24th 2012

Backyard Chickens
(comes with chickens!)
15 spots available
April 7th 2012

14 Comments:

OpenID barntalkblog said...

The Urban Homesteading 101 is on my birthday! I think I might actually convince my Dad to bring me to that one.

-Autumn

September 14, 2011 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger MIB said...

Jenna, could you remind us what the cost is for these workshops?

Thanks!

September 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

The three new workshops are $125 a person. $200 a pair coming together. Registration confirmed when payment is made via paypal.

All workshop prices include two meals, breakfast and lunch, and are the main way I support the farm.

September 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

10:AM-4PM each day!

September 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Cappy said...

There are two folks interested in another spinning class if you're keeping count...

I'll keep watch to see if you post another one!

Thanks!

September 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'd love to do the Black Sheep workshop, if you add a second one.

September 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

The meat and beer workshop sounds amazing! I'll have to wait and see how things go the rest of the year, but fingers crossed I can make it!!

September 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM  
OpenID kindsofhoney said...

Jenna, I have to let you know that I am constantly impressed and inspired with your (a) creativity and hospitality and (b) enthusiasm, dedication, and hard work!

I can't WAIT to have my farm, and am happy right now to spend my days working on someone else's, but when I think about the process of having the day job and trying to get the farm started alongside it . . . and then wanting to also do events and workshops . . . well, if you want it badly enough you'll do it, right? - - but it will still be a challenge for this homegirl who loves her quiet time.

More power to you! Thanks for opening your doors and sharing your life and loves.

September 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Hi Jenna! My husband and I are very interested in coming to the Meat and Beer workshop. Can you remind/tell me how to submit payment via PayPal? We're also looking at staying at the Country Life B&B in Greenwich - do you know if that's a good place to stay? Thanks!

September 14, 2011 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Stacey, email me to sign up! jenna@itsafarwalk.com

September 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

That Urban Homesteading sounds fantastic for a newbie like me and if you do decide to hold another wool workshop, I will definitely do my best to come!
@kindsofhoney- Amen, sister!

September 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I am interested in the Black Sheep Wool Workshop, if you decide to hold another....I am trying to learn to knit, but it is easier said than done.... ;)

September 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I would love to attend your Urban Homesteading, but I won't be able to travel there from Nova Scotia in March! Too bad you aren't closer!

September 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I love your books & blog, sure wish I could make a workshop but I live in AL...one day...

September 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home