Monday, August 22, 2011

a whole lot of random news

My turkey poult, the last one left, was killed by a weasel. Found him in the coop with two bite marks in his neck, taken in broad daylight. What a shame. There's still some hope for a trio of adult Bourbon Reds from a breeder here in town, but waiting to see if the flock gets over a bout of the sniffles.

This farmhouse is the cleanest it has been all year. I was on a tear this weekend, ripping out wet carpets, mopping floors, washing linens and appliances. It feels like a new space. Hell, even the shower feels new. Makes me feel a little more solid going into this fall. My house is generally clean, as clean as it can be working 32-hours a week and running a farm. I keep up with the dog hair and lawn, at least. But I'll never forget when my friend Wendy walked into my bathroom the first time and was shocked at how clean it was. "No farm bathroom is that clean...never ever" I swelled. It's clean because the dogs don't go in it, and only one person uses it, but still. I was proud as a mama hen 22 days into her nest.

Besides the dead turkey, things are quiet. It's a weird calm. In the next few weeks there will be so much going on, it is daunting to think about. A new sheep shed will be erected where the old one stood. The chimney will be installed for the Bun Baker in the living room. I'll be heading south to be a keynote speaker at the Mother Earth News festival outside Pittsburgh (anyone here going?), and it'll be my first off-farm trip since last Christmas! I can't wait to hear Joel Salatin speak....Then the Fall Festival (I'm calling it Antlerstock) will be here before you know it with folks from all over the country in attendance! Today I decided we'll all carve a pumpkin to light up the Saturday night campfire. Folks coming from the south or west, bring warm clothing! It might be in the thirties that night!

Tomorrow I head to the Washington Country Fair to watch the professional Rodeo. Cowboys strike something in me, that's for sure. A man who knows how to handle a horse is seriously worth paying the 10 dollar admission fee to watch. I am being shameless right now. I'm okay with it.

20 Comments:

Blogger nawrockifamily said...

OOohhh, oohh - I will be at the MENF!!! Can't wait :-)

August 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'll be at the fair in the afternoon. Wendy might meet up with me there. She's right about your house - it's shockingly clean!We'll look around for you.

August 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Diane! really! we should all get together. be my VIP!

August 22, 2011 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

I'll be participating in the Farmer Olympics at the fair Wednesday night! I'm a rodeo lover through and through but I can't get out there tomorrow. Good thing I saw the rodeo at the Saratoga Fair though!

August 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Ruth @ Hope, Joy and Faith Farm said...

Cowboy butts drive me nuts! I love rodeos, and even tho I am happily married, I love, love, love watching those handsome cowboys.

August 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Christee said...

Too bad about the turkey poult but good news about the house. Maybe it is prep cleaning as opposed to spring cleaning. Enjoy your time at the rodeo, it sure is a sight to behold!!

August 22, 2011 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

I'm planning on going to the mother earth news festival - I think it's about a 5 or 6 hour drive from eastern PA. What day/time is your presentation?

August 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

This post made me grin. Hope you get to share a funnel cake with one of those farm boys...Have fun! Thanks for the smile, Jenna...

August 23, 2011 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Pit Stop, where are you from? I'm from Carbon County, Palmerton, near Jim Thorpe.

August 23, 2011 at 7:06 AM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

Jenna - I'm in upper Bucks county near Coopersburg. Very close to where you attended college.

August 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Sounds like the closest to a summer vacation a farmer's likely to get. Enjoy the "down" time. Wish I could go watch the cowboys with you!

August 23, 2011 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, honey, I'm with you when it comes to cowboys! Tight jeans, hat low over the eyes, muscles...there are just a few times I wish I still lived in Texas and just THINKING about cowboys makes me wish I'd never left.....

August 23, 2011 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

There are many different classes of cowboys, and then many different classes inside the genre of rodeo. Go for the ropers and wrestlers, walk clear of the ones that ride bucking stock. Better yet, attempt to find one who doesn’t have the time for rodeo because he’s too busy working. Watch out though. If you can’t tolerate Copenhagen don’t go for any of the above. I speak from experience on all the above.

**However there’s no harm in looking at the gallery and I hope you enjoyed last night. Those bronc and bull riders are something, missing teeth and all!

August 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Hi! I'm Jenny said...

Shameless cowboy watcher, HA! Watch for me, too.

Signing off,
Happily Married near Ol' Miss

August 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger windhaven farm said...

Turkeys are hard to raise... we lost all five of our poults this year... just dumb luck with them. Makes me appreciate how much smarter my hens are!

August 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

@Elizabeth - Texas cowboys = still hot. ;) And I'll corroborate Redbird's remark. They're extra hot when they're the working type.

I'll take "Completely Shameless" for $500, Alex.

August 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I'm going to the Mother Earth New Festival. Bringing along my daughter and future son-in-law, they are the future farmers in the family. We are coming in from Chester County PA, just down the road from where you grew up. My younger daughter attended Kutztown as well. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you there.

August 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM  
OpenID loisthelibrarian said...

Jenna, I love your blog. Sometimes I read it feeling a little ashamed of myself for how little I get done.

This post has inspired me to clean my whole house! Okay, maybe just the bathroom for starters. Well, the shower at least. Yes. I'll clean the shower (if I have time).

You're an inspiration!

August 23, 2011 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Sue Steeves said...

Hope you have a great time at the rodeo, it is a guilty pleasure of mine as well ;)

I called Connie today and put in my order for Barnheart.....counting down the days till it comes!

August 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

I think I might be Tara's twin! lol.

August 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home