Sunday, August 28, 2011

strings in the storm


Blogger Maria said...

Beautiful Jenna! I thought to myself, she has the generator for her basement, she has a shed for her sheep. She has everything she needs, and now she can play the fiddle to the storm, dammit! Can I say well done and proud of you? Even if it turns out to be nowhere near as bad as it was hyped to be, which I hope it doesn't, you got yourself all ready for worse case scenario, and it's far better to be all ready for the worse, than not be ready and have to cross your fingers for the best.

August 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Very nice!

August 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Michaele said...


August 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

Fine selection and beautiful playing. Just got up and made the first cup of coffee to walk the dogs with, but first had to see if all was well in your neck of the woods still. I use my black dog Lenny as my meteorologist—when he takes cover I know something more than a calm shower is getting ready to take place. I bet you could use Saro and Cyrus the same way! Or maybe they're like those storm chasers who like to stay in the thick of it all.

August 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Esperanza said...

That was beautiful. Thank you.

August 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger HLN said...


August 28, 2011 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Victoria Nidetch said...

Beautiful, well done, thank-you.

August 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Joleen said...


August 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Enjoyed it. Thanks.

August 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thank you!

Basement is taking on water, but we still have electricity and the sump pump is working with a generator to back it up if needed. I checked and fed all the animals a few hours ago, and all seems well.

I'm going to enjoy some down time on the couch.

I am so grateful this storm wasn't what it could have been. You have no idea!!

August 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Great playing, Jenna.

We are still getting the wind here in southern CT. The rain has stopped and we haven't lost power yet, although towns around us have lost it....

August 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Betty Catherine said...

Here in central NJ, the storm was enough! There are trees down everywhere, and flooding in many places. If you do better, that will be just fine. I'm thinking maybe all the hype kept people indoors, and out of the way of the falling trees. ANd out of the flooded streets.

August 28, 2011 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Times Union posted that the National Weather Service says the storm is moving faster than forecast and the worst should be over by about 2:00 p.m.

August 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Thanks so much for brightening my morning out here in CA, Jenna. It's really hot and sunny out here this morning--the patter of rain on your porch mixed with the tones of your fiddle was just what I needed--stay safe and have a great day!

August 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

getting dumped on now!

August 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

How is everyone doing out there on the east?

August 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger John said...

No rain here in sunny Seattle so I will have to live vicariously through you east coasters.

Also, just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog; I read an article of yours in Paste a few years back (the one about listening to music while tending to the farm in the early AM). I've been enjoying this blog ever since. Keep it up!

August 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Bovey Belle said...

Phew - there's a relief - it had calmed down by the time it reached you. Loved the fiddle-playing. Something I always fancied trying, but guess I'm too long in the tooth now.

August 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger sheila said...

Just talked with my sister who is located 60 miles SE of me. Her power has been out since 8:30 this morning. I'm in the Finger Lakes, my sister is on the western edge of the Catskills. I've only had steady rain and almost no wind, while they have had lots of wind along with heavy rain. Their neighbor has a 100 ft tree down on his house and van.

Good to hear you fiddling in the rain.

August 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Whosyergurl said...

Bravo! I admire you. You are such a strong woman with such a great attitude!
Cheryl in Indiana

August 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

Well done! So grateful Irene fizzled out before too much damage was done. It could have been much worse! Stay safe, Jenna!

August 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

So much water coming into the basement! sump pump is going every 30 seconds..whew. If we lose power It'll be a mad rush to get that generator set up!

August 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Kimberlie Ott said...

So glad you have a working sump! The music was gorgous and it showed true grit!!! :) Hope all is still well...........from a 90+ degree day in wishes!

August 28, 2011 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Sylvan said...

Jenna, smile at yourself because you are simply amazing.

August 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM  
Blogger Kim and the hounds at BassetsRus said...

Here in Gilmanton Iron Works, NH we lost power for about 6 hours. lots of tree debris everywhere.

Kim and the NH hounds

August 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Tony Colella said...

Now that's what I would call good beer sipping music.


August 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I heard winds are coming back tonight. I am all ready to start that generator if I need to...

Fiddle took a beating from being played in the rain! popped a string!

August 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger blessings from a wildflower said...

Bravo! Standing Ovation here! Thanks for sharing..
Peace & Love

August 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Wow, Jenna! You're pretty darn good on that fiddle! Love the double-stops. Mine's been sitting in the corner ever since I started with the banjo this summer. I think I've just been inspired to get it out and do a little fiddling myself. Thanks!

August 30, 2011 at 7:44 AM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

Love it! Encore!

August 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger singinggardengirl said...

You have inspired me to bust out the fiddle I bought about 10 years ago and finally do something with it. Thanks!

August 30, 2011 at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home