Saturday, August 6, 2011

she is woman, hear her baa

He didn't even see it coming. With the reflexes of a jungle cat on phentermine I spun around 180-degrees and grabbed Atlas by the horns. The young ram bucked and carried on, and then, realizing I was pulling him uphill by his skull, sunk his legs into the ground cartoon-mule style and refused to budge. It was raining pretty hard at this point, but I didn't mind. I was already wet from giving Sal his antibiotics (he started limping again yesterday) and feeding everyone enough grain to get them back to the main pen. It was the grain that hazed Atlas's awareness, and while his head was down snarfing some up I pounced. What he didn't know was my secret weapon is stubbornness, and I would not let go of those grand horns. In the end, I won. I got him in the pen where his baby-maker was safely tucked away till Guy Fawke's day, or later.

I have learned that when it comes to sheep subterfuge is the only way to go. I trick, bribe, and pounce before they have much time to react. If you walk nervously into the pen with a syringe, pacing about, and holding out a handful of grain all you've got is a bad plan.

This is my first year breeding my own lambs (well, pimping my own lambs) and I had been worried about this ram-removal for weeks. Tonight I decided was as good as any night to fight an ovine. From the office window I hear the sounds of gentler rain, his bleats to be let out, and the cries of the new ewe lamb on the hill. She is sitting under the large apple tree, too scared to join the scary new sheep of Cold Antler. She'll come around.

Tomorrow a bunch of folks are coming to the farm to talk rabbits. I'm looking forward to the entire day—from farm tours to recipes—it'll be an big time with livestock and like minds. I'll post photos from the workshop, and announce some winter ones in the works. Oh, and is anyone planning to come to the fall Sheep 101 class? Some folks backed out, others swapped plans, and others just aren't sure. Please let me know.

Coming soon: A chance to pre-order signed copies of Barnheart from a local bookstore, more giveaways, farm gossip, and workshops.

I told you I grabbed the ram by the horns.

10 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

I can't wait to read Barnheart!!

August 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger the small plate diner said...

Looking forward to reading Barnheart! Will it be available before the holidays?

August 6, 2011 at 11:43 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

Haven’t heard someone refer to Guy Fawkes outside of family in a long time, although Samhain is more popular with us.

Hope Sal can get whatever is troubling him out of his system soon.

Looking forward to Barnheart— keep grabbing those ram horns.

August 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM  
Blogger Colorado Girl said...

I can't wait for my copy!,

August 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm very excited for your next book! are you going to write a book on sheep next?

August 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger The Sprouting Acorn said...

Love the front cover… congratulations!

August 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Angry Chicken Knits said...

I got to read an ARC of Barnheart that the publisher gave me, and I must say I loved it! I just recently achieved my life long goal of raising chickens and now have aspirations of much more! This book was written for me! LOVED it!

August 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Sewing Machine Girl said...

Looking forward to it Jenna. I enjoy your writing and your spirit. Love the cover art too.

August 7, 2011 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Excellent news!

August 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Luann said...

I just read yout FIRST BOOK, I need to get all caught up!

August 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home