Friday, August 5, 2011

breeding trio

I'm excited about this workshop on Sunday. A lot of folks are coming to learn about meat rabbits and see the farm. Today I'm testing recipes, planning the menu, and getting the farm all ready for visitors. I hope they aren't expecing a Martha Stewarty farm. Folks, there will be chicken poo on the walkway and dog hair blowing 'round the floor. I do my best, but the place just isn't a homemakers home. Be kind.

I stopped at Wanabea Farm in Manchester today to talk rabbits with Bruce and pick up a new buck for my herd. I was able to get a gorgeous New Zealand (4 pounds at 14 weeks!) for my own lines, and a non-related breeding trio to sell to any workshoppers who wanted to leave with their own starter livestock. I'll have two does and a buck, two new large 36" cages with metal trays availble for purchase if anyone is interested in leaving with the trio. I also have three beautiful Silver Fox/Rex kits from my stock ready to wean and send off as little buns. Not sure of their sexes yet, but the point is there will be livestock available tomorrow if anyone is interested. Please email me if you'd like to arrange it at jenna@itsafarwalk.com

P.S. Still time to enter the giveaway below! Winner will be picked Tomorrow night!

19 Comments:

OpenID notherethenwhere said...

I wish I could come for this weekend, but maybe the next time, if the stars align or something similar.

My home isn't much of a homemaker's home either. As much as I would like for it to be, other things (more important things, I think) take over. I just call it "lived in" now, although today it looks like a lot of living has taken place here recently.

August 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Tiffrz-N-Kidz said...

Only boring women have immaculate homes.

August 5, 2011 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger amelia said...

I wish I lived closer as I would love to attend the workshop. I would love to have a couple angoras one day...

August 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger karental said...

Do you have a good slow-cooker recipe for rabbit? Or maybe a Dutch oven one I could tweak? Wish I could be there this weekend.
Enjoy. Color me jealous.

August 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger Trekout2 said...

People are coming to see you and the farm ...Not to inspect your home relax and enjoy. We wish we could come too but Texas is a long way from you're home in New York...please let us know how the weekend goes....

August 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I have a great slowcooker recipe. Just got it today from Bruce, but I think I am going to adapt it a little before I post it. It involves a whole rabbit and a can of coke. How's that for a teaser?!

August 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

About keeping an impecable house:
"Those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter."

August 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Love it, jess.

Thanks guys.

The place isn't a hole or anything, it's just not, you know, pretty.

August 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger JLP said...

Definitely tuning in for that whole rabbit and can of coke recipe! Hope the weekend goes super swell. I know it will!

August 5, 2011 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger Emily (and Maggie) said...

Hi Jenna,
My daughter and I have been following from Pittsburgh. How are the bunnies feeling? Did the control experiment work?

Emily and Maggie

August 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

So far I lost one bun, found him on a heap on the compost pile (I didn't put him there). There are at least four of the seven healthy and fine, fighting the disease. Two are unaccounted for. But if after last years loss of 15 rabbits, I only lose 3, I call that progress.

I ordered portable hutches for them, nice wooden ones with shelters built in. The bunnies will remain on grass in a safe way.

August 5, 2011 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger Carissa said...

I just love little bunny feet! Love the ones in your photo. :)

August 5, 2011 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger karental said...

Rabbit, check
Can of Coke, check

OK, I'm listening.

August 5, 2011 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger Jamie Elfrank said...

I completely agree with Jess. I also believe you underestimate your house Jenna. I thought it was quite adorable :)

August 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

haHA! Karental, I'll post it tonight!

August 6, 2011 at 5:59 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

Geez Jenna, did I miss something.I thought your house looked quite tidy.

August 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger beccaWA said...

Ditto on the adorable house comment...

Trade ya houses Jenna!

LOL

August 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Oh I didn't mean the place was a dump, but with three dogs, a job, a farm, and a blog I have acquired dust, spiderwebs, dog hair, and general need of more time to do it up right.

August 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Jenna, I am sure you have mentioned this before, but where do you keep your fiber rabbits in the winter? And can two bucks coexist if there are no females around?

August 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home