Thursday, August 11, 2011

black sheep wool workshop!

I have an idea for a workshop I think some of you are going to love. If you're anything like me, you love the farm stories, and the pictures, but what you really crave, what you can't wait to feel...is the comfort. I would like to do a January workshop here at the farm. It is going to be a fundraiser for the chimney (which is 1/3 paid off but yet to be installed!), and here is my plan:

I am going to host a wool workshop. We'll all learn how to skirt, wash, dry, card, and spin wool with drop spindles. Then, after we have learned the basics of creating yarn out of sheep, we will sit down and learn to knit in the living room. With the wood stove blazing, baking us warm bread and apple fritters, we'll spend a winter afternoon talking about our farms, animals, farm dreams, and fears. It will be an interactive knitting circle, a catered affair of farm foods and three meals. The full day is about learning to make fabric, sure, but it is also about community, and new friends, and sitting by a wood stove in a warm farmhouse with a border collie in your lap. Learn a skill, see the farm, share in the conversation. It'll be the last weekend in January, and the farm will be covered in snow. Meet the sheep, help with chores, and wear a comfy sweater. It'll be great.

Everyone who comes will leave with a large bag of Joseph's raw dark wool. You will take it home and wash and spin it yourselves. You need nothing but a plastic storage bin and dish soap. You'll also leave with a drop spindle. Ideally, you will leave with the raw materials this farm can offer to help you create an extremely homemade wool hat from a sheep you will have fed hay that same day.

You need no experience whatsoever to come to this workshop with animals, or knitting. Come knowing nothing about wool and leave knitting your first scarf. No animals will be slaughtered and no sweats will be broken. This is a low-key, but highly inspirational day to hang at Cold Antler and smell that bread rising as you knit a row and the snow falls.

Email me if you're interested, Folks who have come to previous workshops and I know, are welcome to board here at the farm for an extra fee. Wake up to snow crows from Fancy the rooster!

Photo of Joseph (your future hat) by Tim Bronson

30 Comments:

Blogger Misty Meadows said...

Jenna:

What breed are your sheep? I have several questions for you in regards to your sheep.

August 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That sounds Fantastic!!! I love Knitting and would love to learn how to make yarn from wool. I don't think I can come tho because that is 2 weeks from my due date. Do you think that you will do this every winter?

August 11, 2011 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger bellananda said...

what fun! i can imagine that apple fritter already. ;) i wonder what the cost of january flights from kc to vermont are...surely better than autumn ones, with all the snowbirds heading south, rather than northeast, that time of year! i'd totally bring a sleeping bag if i could stay on your floor... :)

August 11, 2011 at 11:13 PM  
Blogger The Finicky Farmer said...

Holy crap. As an avid knitter, this workshop is a dream come true! I'll email you directly for the details. Thank you!!!

August 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

I wanna come too. But really it is too far from Tasmania.

August 11, 2011 at 11:24 PM  
OpenID notherethenwhere said...

Sounds like a great day. I may be constrained by my teaching schedule, but then again, but I'll send an email if I can make it once I've checked.

August 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

as my mom would say, "why are you up, go to bed!

August 12, 2011 at 12:11 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Sign me up for that! Sounds like the perfect day out from the winter blues!

August 12, 2011 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Joseph is a Border Leicester/Cotswold cross. Most are Scottish Blackface, but the longwools (Sal, Maude and Joe) are better for hand processing.

Please email me if you are interested to reserve a spot Holly!

August 12, 2011 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Jenna, I want to come so badly! Currently trying to figure out how I could make such a thing happen (between work, family and living in Southern California). Arrrgh!

August 12, 2011 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

What fun! Wish I lived closer so I could participate but I am getting ready to start knitting something special myself - my newborn son's Christmas stocking. I'll look forward to reading about this workshop. It'll be a great time, I'm sure.

August 12, 2011 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Kris Mo said...

Jenna, I'm psyched about this. I live in southern Ontario, but I'd be absolutely willing to make the trip down for this!

August 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Sounds great! Let's hope January 2012 isn't like January 2011.

August 12, 2011 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

I am very very jealous that I cannot be at your workshops! Great idea, and I can't wait to read about it after it happens.

August 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger alindner said...

Hi Jenna,

If I can make it work fincially (flight from the midwest and lodging) I'd definitely be intersted. I'm a proficient knitter (rectangles only--can't figure out other shapes) but would love to know more about the wool and I love knitting with old and new friends.

August 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Kris! The distance to Coldantler is definitely driveable. My daughter and I did it from Oshawa. You'd probably want to make it a weekend though. We didn't know about the farm when we went there, we were visiting the town just next.

August 12, 2011 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Kimberlie Ott said...

dreaming of the day I can join you clear across the country, for now I can't wait to hear all about it. The ecomomy is crunching us right now! Have a blast you creative genius! :)

August 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Sewing Machine Girl said...

very good idea. Wish I were closer. :)

August 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Another genius idea! It sounds absolutely lovely, but I'm afraid I have to sit this one out. If all goes well, we'll be on our honeymoon this Jan or Feb :) I'm crossing my fingers there will be a repeat next winter because it sounds like the perfect cure for the winter blues :)

August 12, 2011 at 7:24 PM  
Blogger Katou said...

Wow, I sure would like to participate in a day like that. But, we are way to far apart for me to go, especially in wintertime when I have to heat my house.

I'm sure the lucky ones that will be able to go will have a fantastic time at your place.

Looking forward to hearing about the day.

August 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger Harpy 101 said...

It's too far from Colorado, even. And sounds like pure heaven...the best vacation EVER. You guys will have a WONDERFUL time.

August 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Campbell Kids said...

What a splendid idea! Sounds like so much fun - too bad I'm in Oregon!

August 13, 2011 at 12:31 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

This is a great idea! I already know how to knit and spin on a spinning wheel, but that sounds like a lot of fun. I'd definitely be there if in didn't live in Washington STATE. And I'd STILL definitely be there if I could somehow convince my husband that we should vacation in January in New York......

August 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Kigwit said...

Gosh I wish I could go. It sounds like so much fun. I spin on an Ashford Traveler (sold my Clemes to buy it which was a big mistake). Two things hold me back. One of course is money and the other is that don't you have winter in January? This Texan would freeze to death! LOL

I hope I'll be able to score some wool when you do the csa again. I'd love to knit something to my sister who introduced me to your books and blog.

August 13, 2011 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Yeah I would be interested too! I am only about 5 hrs away, coming from Canada.

August 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, I absolutely am interested in this! I'm in Berkshire County, Mass, so I'm not too far away. I know you said to email you, but in my flustered state I can't figure out the email address.

August 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

same here -- not sure where/how to email you. What's the address?

August 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger jackie said...

That sounds truly wonderful!!! i'm wondering too about flying from KC to Vermont.

August 22, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home