Tuesday, August 9, 2011

another way to eat rabbit


Blogger coley said...

I would love to learn how to hunt with hawks (falconry). I read an article on it once in one of my local papers. It is a long and time consuming process to train your birds and you are not allowed to hunt until you pass some tests and stuff. Really cool stuff.

August 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Indio said...

I took falconry lessons when I was in Scotland. If you love nature, it is an amazing thing to watch. Falconry is still a means of hunting in some parts of Europe.

August 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

neat isn't it? I had an uncle who flew a pair of kestrels. Beautiful little birds. They couldn't handle a rabbit, though they did pick up squirrels every now and then.

August 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger The Natalie that lives in a tipi said...

It's just like having a big ol' rooster, right?

August 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger Tony Colella said...

Reminds me of my favorite book when I was growing up. It was called "My Side of the Mountain."

Ever read it Jenna?

Tony in Asheville

August 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

There's a guy 3 miles from here who offered to apprentice me if I wanted to get into Falconry. That's how it works, the state mandates so much time under a mentor, you study and take a written test, have a game warden expect your aviary and then you trap your bird, train it, hunt with it, and can mentor others.

I'm not using the loft of my barn for anything...

August 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I have always wanted to have a hawk or falcon, even a little kestrel. Too bad I don't have the time to devote to it.
If you got one, Jenna, you'd have to keep it off your chickens, somehow!

August 9, 2011 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

that was NEET!

August 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

So cool! If given that opportunity I don't think I could resist—didn't realize this art form was so regulated.

August 9, 2011 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Neat jenna- thanks for sharing.

August 10, 2011 at 12:46 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Oh I don't know if I could, for that exact reason, chickens... but it would be fun to go out for a hunt with a falconer.

August 10, 2011 at 6:33 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

What a magnificent creature, so beautiful. We have red-tails flying over us all the time. She was really something. When we had our ducks, they always walked around with their heads tilted up, looking out for them.

I would love to see falconry in person. Thanks for sharing this video.

August 10, 2011 at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home