Saturday, July 23, 2011

red wiggler update


Blogger The Sprouting Acorn said...

too cool! so do you remove the bottom box to empty newly composted soil and the next one up becomes the bottom, or do you have to start over from scratch when it's full? i tried this in a plastic shoebox a few years ago, loved the results, but didn't care for the system (or lack of). :)

July 23, 2011 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I think you scoop out the vermicompost in small doses, and add it to your soil. it's VERY rich. But as time and worms move through the higher boxes, you get more. I bet you could build something like it with old beehives, but this works great as a tester project.

July 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

I’m getting ready to order some worms for my raised beds. I do believe I’m going to get one of these too—in desperate need of healthy soil. Thanks for the awesome demo video!

July 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Wow, I heard people talk about these worms but I have never seen a really good presentation on how they actually work! Awesome video.

July 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

They are fanastic little buggers....

I was asked to test this out and review it, along with some other products. The other products weren't so so hot, but this one was. Seriously, perfect for urban farmers and country kitchens a like

July 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Patsy said...

This was so interesting and loved to see the dogs. How is the old man, Jazz? We don't get to hear too much about him.

July 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

I just started the worm box project about a month ago. My box is made from big Rubbermaid tubs. I am amazed how those worms eat and break things down. My finished compost trickles into a tub below my main worm home. Something I did find out: eggshells added as often as you can help the little wigglers reproduce into MORE little wigglers. Glad you are enjoying it!

July 24, 2011 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Kathy P. said...

An excellent resource on vermiculture can be found in the lecture from Prof. Will Hooker's Intro to Permaculture course at NC State University.

All the lectures are excellent; the course itself is 1/2 of a PDC (when taken for credit) but it costs nothing for the rest of us to watch and learn.

July 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

What an excellent looking vermicompost and healthy redworms. Your plants will love your vermicompost

July 24, 2011 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

we have had red wrigglers forever... they are great and they make a good compost tea for the gardens

July 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home