Tuesday, July 26, 2011

i choose cash

Mornings on workdays are an odd routine. I get up between 4 and 5AM (depending on chore-load or weather) and am outside feeding, observing, and occasionally medicating the flock and fowl. Right now the place is in the end of summer long jog towards fall. This weekend the old lettuce will be ripped out and composted and new seeds will go in, a second round. I'll get my first big loads of hay (about 15 bales each) and start making room in the barn for them all. I think this winter I'll need about 200 bales total, and I'd like to have a quarter of that stacked and ready by September 1.

Before I shower and even consider coffee, I need to drench Pidge with her fourth day of Corrid. She's on this routine after vet's orders, and I am hoping it stops her runs once and for all. Friday morning her and Lisette go out of the pen and Atlas goes in. Hopefully she'll recover beautifully out on pasture and hay and be fine for fall breeding. If not, she'll be fine for a french rib roast.

That might sound harsh to some, but to me it is simply how the place has to run. Every day I look out on my flock and beam at the way Knox, Ashe, and last year's Yearling look. That trio is as pretty and strong as any ad in the 2011 Blackface Sheep Breeder's Association's Journal sitting on my coffee table. I know what breeding stock should look like, and I don't think Pidge will cut it. However, I'll do my best to get her there. And if I fail, Lisette will retire to be someone's lawn mower and Pidge will be in the freezer with her fleece in the farmhouse. Future border collie pups will roll on their backs, smelling their first shaggy wool. And if not Pidge, someone's will take that place.

There's no radio on in the morning, not anymore. I used to start everyday with NPR but now I turn on the record player. Johnny Cash is singing Ring of Fire and I sing along. I'd rather start my day singing. I think if Mark in Kristin Kimball's The Dirty Life, who felt the news was nothing but trouble. "It just makes you feel bad and you can't do anything about it anyway." He was right. He also stopped using the word "should" and doing so had made him happier. Yesterday Jon Katz wrote about the angry world of the media, and how it's a choice to be a part of that mess. Be informed, but don't be saturated in it. You'll end up starting your day making angry comments at the television and speeding to work. I can wait till I'm at the office to hear about what starlet has died, or how angry congress is about debt. The farm is too good for that, and my time on earth too short to start my day angry at strangers. I choose Cash.

Annie is spreading her furry stomach over as much floor space as possible in front of the living room box fan. Gibson is upstairs, being Gibson. Jazz is sitting by his dish in the front room. The new table in there has him off his game. He's not sure if it's a strategic coup of the enemy or a new fort to protect his kibble. Canine-ego control of this place is a non-stop battle. Jazz is winning by his riches in dignity. Annie too hot to care. I sing with Johnny.

I'll be out the door for work in about 20 minutes.

21 Comments:

Blogger Phiddy said...

Oh Jenna, how I do agree with you about not starting the day with the anger and angst of the world! My DH does and his day tends to go south in a heartbeat while my morning is spent in the garden, petting the dog and watching the sun rise.

July 26, 2011 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Butts said...

I stopped watching the news a while ago, don't really remember when, maybe 4 years ago. I do not miss it. I still hear about things that are happening but I am not marinating in the negativity. Like you said, nothing you can do about most of it anyhow and I refuse to take on the worlds sorrows, everyone has enough of their own in a lifetime. One of my friends was agast that I don't watch the news, "But you've got to know what's happening!" To which I answered, "Why?"

July 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM  
OpenID barntalkblog said...

There is only one newspaper I ever read, and since it's not being delivered anymore, I just don't read any news, or watch it on the t.v. I used to watch the local morning news, but even that became too depressing for anyone to watch.

-Autumn

July 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Yeah, I flipped NPR off this morning, too. Unfortunately, coworkers always have the tv on in the breakroom, and I've noticed the local news (and the afternoon talk shows) is full of nothing but heartbreak, and dwelling in others' misfortune. Bleah. Why borrow trouble? Look out the window for a change.

July 26, 2011 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger karental said...

Breaking news:

Karental got her chicken coop. Great Dane is still asleep after shivering all night, hiding from the storm. There are still healthy eggplant in the garden even though it's nearly August.

And now for the weather:

It's Florida,Silly. It's hot, humid, and will probably rain in the afternoon.

July 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

wish you and all your readers a good day from The Netherlands!
my day starts with being happy, thankful, coffee and bread with olive oil. Focus on the good things!

July 26, 2011 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

My mastiff is just like Annie. He sleeps flat on his stomach on the cool floor with his back legs spread out like a frog, and when his body heat warms the floor up, he drags himself to a new spot with his front paws.

Hope the rain that graced Ontario last night is on its way to you!

July 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Isn't it great when your home/farm is a refuge from the outside world.

I rarely listen to the news anymore for your stated reasons...it irritates me. Makes me think about how childish they all are. I just want to knock some sense into their egotistical heads.

I'd much rather get my hands in the dirt, clean the barn, bake bread, harvest veggies...something productive that brings pleasure and calm to my life.

July 26, 2011 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger susancoyotesfan said...

I can't think of a better way to start the day than with Cash. There was, and is, no one else like him.

I still read the news, but not as much as I used to. I just can't stand it anymore. Too depressing, too scary.

July 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger aastumb said...

I gave up on TV news sometime ago and now I found myself turning on NPR less and less. The on going debate over the debt has about sent me over the edge. There's nothing I can do to fix it and no reason I should worry myself over it.

If lunch was any longer I could have finished The Dirty Life. Loving it.

July 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

In agreement here on all accounts. I’ve always preferred the Cash rendition of Tennessee Stud over all others—grandpa used to call Johnny “ a good Arkansas man,” he’d say it always reverently after listening to one of his ballads. Watering the garden before work just listening to the morning birds sing or some good tunes has a similar affect on me before going to work—beats NPR any day.

July 26, 2011 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Whiffletree Farm said...

I did exactly the same thing -- turned off NPR in the morning; way too depressing, biased and sometimes way out there for me. I'll listen to the birds, feed the horses and chickens, and be much, much happier for it.

July 26, 2011 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I decided a long time ago to start my day by just looking out the window and watching the birds in the feeders while I drink my tea. My husband starts with the news and turns it on as soon as he gets home, drives me crazy.

I'll take Mr. Cash anytime over the dreaded morning news, and I agree, there isn't much we can do about it anyway.

July 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

Totally agree about the news, and in a strange coincidence, I was home for a sick day and the last thing I watched was, "I'll Walk the Line." Never was a big Cash fan, but I like some of his music.

July 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I agree, I never watch the news(haven't for years) or listen to it on the radio. If I find something important enough to follow I check it out on the internet, and then close it out and go about my day. Sometimes I feel like I'm being irresponsible by not being better informed, but I figure if being informed makes me crazy than I'd rather live in blissful ignorance. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't buy into all the drama.

July 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Everyone has her own routine. I start my morning with tea. A friend gave me a travel mug that can accommodate loose leaf. No media, period. My co-workers tell me about the latest stories. Just give me my tea, a gorgeous sunrise, mist dancing with the trees, and my animals.

July 26, 2011 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger HillbillyHannah said...

I haven't paid a bit of attention to this debt ceiling drama, and guess what, the world's still turning. If I had a dollar, for everytime I heard the words, "looming crisis," I'd be in great shape. The goobs in Washington can't fix your life. Only you can make choices to change your life. Each morning, I choose a cup of tea, God's Word, and all my crazy critters.
"I don't concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to grasp. Instead I have calmed and quieted my soul" Psalm 131:1-2

July 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger goatldi said...

With bottle goat kids to feed first off the morning , no matter what the hour, can never start off poorly. MMMMMMMMMMMM ? Ring of Fire? Has been the ring tone on my cell phone for years. Mi Via Loca!

July 26, 2011 at 11:29 PM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

curious why the lettuce goes in the compost rather than to the rabbits?

July 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Meredith, they are currently on pellet feed and hay. Something that lush and green, in that quantity before it would spoil, could cause bad diahrea in the hottest time of the year = dead, dehydrated bunnies

July 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

interesting, is it because their bodies aren't used to it? i know many war over wild rabbits in their gardens.

July 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home