Sunday, July 3, 2011

hospital

I checked my watch. I was certain it was past 6, it had to be. I had been working out the sticky-wet all day between storms. At 9AM I loaded up the Dodge at Tractor Supply with new t-posts, wire fencing, grain, and chicken feed. I had bought electrolyte boosters, syringes, and a new bottle of Safeguard. The plan was to spend the day creating a small sheep pen, laying it down with fresh bedding, green hay, grain, and vitamin water and then somehow catching Lisette and her lamb and sticking them inside. Once inside they would get an oral helping of dewormer (If I could catch them and hold their mouths open long enough to take it) and spend a few weeks in their own spa. It was a last-ditch effort at recovery and well-being, and when they were both healthy and good—sell them off or give them away as pets to folks who wanted heritage-breed lawn mowers and had no interest in keeping them for anything else. These were not to be returned to the gene pool.

It was 2PM.

I was shocked. The timelessness of the gray sky made all day feel like 4PM on a Tuesday. I had just finished setting up the girls in their private Hospital, both let me give them fresh dewormer without fuss and catching them was luck and ease. If these two were to be on the mend, this was step one. Isolation, medication, and plenty of clean water and good feed.

To get to the point of nursing required hours of removing good field fencing from around a dump pile, replacing it with a lesser-quality (but equally deterring) garden fence, and then pounding posts and staples, hauling water and hay, and wrangling sickly sheep. I already felt like it was time to quit and it wasn't even 2:30.... I must sound exasperated, but this is a great thing. To realize that I had more daylight, more time, a whole afternoon to clean up, read, grill, and know the entire farm was running on the right train schedule. If this was a regular workday I would be contemplating afternoon iced coffee and chatting in our bistro. I stood in my lawn, heaving, but smiling. No one ever told this new agrarian that you get more minutes out of your hour on a farm!?

So the big work of the day is done, and so I am retiring to an afternoon of reading, relaxing, and grilling some leftover veggies from yesterday's kabob fest. A good meal and a cold drink, a few chapters of a good book, and I am born again.

P.S. Did anyone get their swap books yet?

19 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. N said...

What happened? and Happy 4th too!

July 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

N: They are just in poor health compared to the rest of the flock, and need some TLC to gain weight and get some more pluck in them.

July 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

Enjoy your well-earned R & R, and here's hoping the sickies get better quick. Wish I could have 'em for pets, but not happening here.

July 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

Enjoy your well-earned R & R, and here's hoping the sickies get better quick. Wish I could have 'em for pets, but not happening here.

July 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger Brenna said...

Your afternoon sounds lovely! Enjoy your book :)

Brenna

consciousearthveg.blogspot.com

July 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

I did get my swap book. It was a great idea, Jenna. Hope your two sicklings get better soon.

July 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Cottage Times said...

There isn't a better feeling than getting all your chores done with time to spare a nice meal and quality relaxation.

PS...Jenna, If I'm last on the list do I send you a book. If not I volunteer to send anyone on this page that got left out a swap!

July 3, 2011 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Get some well-deserved rest! Hope mother and child will return to health with relative ease.

I received my book a couple of days ago and love it. Thanks for holding the swap.:)

July 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Yup, Cottage, then you're stuck with me!

July 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Tarheelbilly said...

I haven't gotten my book yet, but I'm enjoying the emails from my new blog friend! I mailed my package to MA on Friday. :-) It was a great idea!

July 3, 2011 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I haven't heard from the person I'm supposed to send a book to.

July 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Luann said...

I know I am late but if you need another participant, I am game.
Luann

July 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Cosgray Gardens said...

My name was missing from the list :( I am still willing to book swap if you like.

July 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

Those two are lucky to have you...hope they can improve.

Still can’t get in touch with Christee on the book swap.

July 4, 2011 at 1:49 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I heard from my person. We're all good!

July 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Got my book and sent my book - loving the swap idea! Happy Fourth!

July 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

Oh, one more thing regarding the sheep...if Lisette's lamb is still nursing I'd go ahead and separate them. As long as the lamb is 8 weeks she'll do fine and it would give Lisette a break. :-)

July 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Misha said...

I got my swap book yesterday and finished it already. Thank you Karen!!! Cheers to "The Dirty Life"!!!

July 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM  
Blogger JLP said...

Jenna, I cannot thank you enough for the book swap idea! I have been so inspired by the conversations I have had on email with my two folks.

@ Misha, loved The Dirty Life too!

July 10, 2011 at 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home