Saturday, July 16, 2011

celebration day

I woke up this morning around 5:37, which is sleeping in. I took my time getting out of day bed, and Gibson (who is never in much of a rush at first light) stretched out his entire body next to mine. His head by mine, his tail at my feet. For a Border Collie, Gibson is huge. 52 skinny pounds, and taller than Jazz at the withers. His coat is starting to really fill in, and what was a scruffy boy at a year has started to grow a mane, doggy facial hair around his ears. He hears Joseph's wet bleat and Jasper's whinny and standing on me thigh looks out the long window to the field. I don't know what he's thinking, but I like to think he's just checking that farm is still out there.

After the dogs were walked and fed their breakfast, I headed out for a three mile jog. Jasper heckled me as I left, but he just wanted apples or grain. He had so much pasture it was ridiculous, and big containers of water. The sheep must have just come in from their dawn breakfast, they were all silent on the hill, chewing cud. And that hill, was slowly healing up. Over grazing had turned it to mud and hard dirt, but with expanded pasture and some seed and rain tufts of green were returning. The last hard downpour didn't move a single slurry of topsoil down into the level spots where I refill their water tanks.

I jog down the mountain, across 22, and over to the dirt roads that pass corn fields and meadows. Deer, tractors, and the rare car pass me by but I barely wave. I get lost out there. My head belongs to recent writing projects, personal strife, music on the headphones and other mental riff raff. By the time the run is over I don't care about any of it but the music. Running is a screening process of priorities. If it doesn't matter as much after three miles it probably didn't matter much at all.

I came home to chores, everything from everyday animal care to mowing the lawn, but I wrapped it all up before 9. They wanted the sun high and hot today, nearly 90 degrees. I wanted all this self/home improvement business out of the way so I could focus on today's real work: books, naps, and a bbq at dusk.

I plan on enjoying this weekend and celebrating it. This past week was the end of the 5-day work week. Starting Monday I will be working 32-hours and being self-employed on Fridays. It won't be a day off, but a day to focus on the farm, workshops, writing, and the business. A full day to focus on home. Now that, deserves some hamburgers and ice cream.

P.S. I'll post a video of Gibson making ice cream later today!

12 Comments:

Blogger Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Rock on, Jenna. Sounds like the perfect day/weekend. I sit reading, planning a nap. That’s just how Saturday ought to be spent.

July 16, 2011 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

Enjoy your celebration!

July 16, 2011 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Worthy of more than a hamburger and ice cream... Maybe a beer or two as well!

July 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Zoe Tilley Poster said...

Congratulations! Cutting back on work-for-a-paycheck hours to spend more time on labor-of-love hours sounds like a worthy move indeed.

July 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Zoe, it is terrifying!

July 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM  
OpenID benhewitt.net said...

Hey Jenna,

Big congratulations on making the commitment to your writing. You're a fantastic writer and it'll pay off - in all regards.

Take care,
Ben

July 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thank you ben!

July 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

I'm so proud of you Jenna and you certainly deserve some celebration. I love posts like the one today as you paint pictures with your words. It made my afternoon. Thanks.
Odie

July 16, 2011 at 5:22 PM  
Blogger tami said...

These are the kinds of posts I like best, Jenna. Straight from the heart. 32 hours to "The Man" and 60 hours to yourself. Sounds like a fair deal.

I don't run (I walk every morning) but I use the time as meditation too. Things that seem so freakin BIG are pretty much put in perspective during that walk.

Enjoy your day!

July 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

I just started a four-day work week this past year - best thing ever! Congrats.

July 17, 2011 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger HillbillyHannah said...

Jenna, Congrats on your new work schedule! I work from home exclusively, and it is a blessing. Although, it is easier to lose focus:) Don't be scared. You will be fine. You have loads of talent, passion, and you're not afraid to work. There ain't too much you can't do with that combo. Keep truckin' girl!

July 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM  
OpenID Tami said...

Ask your neighbors whose shed fell down there if you can have the wood. Future projects and repairs on your own buildings will be a lot cheaper if you have a woodpile stash! They would probably appreciate the clean up job help too!!

July 18, 2011 at 1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home