Saturday, July 23, 2011

Backyard Farming Festival - October 15th & 16th!

On the 15th and 16th of October, Cold Antler Farm will be one heck of a place to be. The trees will be bursting with color, the fields and pastures around my mountain high in yellow cornstalks and rich with pumpkins.

If you are interested in stopping in for the day, or both days, please do. It'll be a rip snorting time with live demonstrations and outdoor activities, as well as good food and fellowship with people just as motivated as you are to get back into the soil and see how a harness fits a working horse.

As of now Cathy Daughton will be in the kitchen doing a cheese making demo, I'll be walking around the farm working with the animals and doing tours, and Brett will be logging and explaining wood lot management with Jasper in the area behind the barn. There will be plenty going on besides these things. I'll be talking about:

Saturday
Chicken Basics
Sheep Basics
Beekeeping Basics
Rabbitry Work
Cheese making (Cathy)
Backyard Lumberjackin' (Brett)
Hand Wool Processing
Knitting 101
Canning
Pumpkin Carving (for saturday night campfire lanterns!)

Sunday
Bread making from Scratch
Turkey Slaughter (maybe)
Book and Yarn Sales
Intro to Mountain Dulcimer/Fiddle
Winter Greens/extended growing
Merck Forest & Farmcenter Field Trip
And More!

Saturday night will have a campfire outdoors (weather permitting) near the twinkling lights of the chicken coop and we'll enjoy good local hard cider, kabobs, and music outdoors under wool blankets on hay bales with the occasional fiddle or banjo keeps us warm. Stories welcome, the scarier the better. Night Coffee will be served, which means strong hot cups spiked with some chocolate and baileys, and if we're lucky the Great Horned Owl that haunts the pasture will perch on the barn roof. Which will be wonderful, since the 15th is just a few days after Blood Moon. Awesome.

I'll wrangle a bonefide photographer for this as well. I'l make sure there's a big photo gallery for you to enjoy.

Sunday will include the activities above, and around 2PM or so we'll all head to Merck Forest for a short fall hike. The views of this place, at this time of year, will be breathtaking beyond my ability to write. You just have to see for yourself. Bring along walking shoes and a hiking stick. we're going to enjoy a walk in the woods.

I can't wait to host this event, and just see this place full of friends and passionate people who want to take home a piece of the education, and experience for themselves. Already folks are traveling from far and wide, and I am planning menus and campfire situations. But mostly, I love being surrounded by my peeps. Folks who can kick back a few dark beers and think raising turkeys is a perfectly logical way to spend a summer.

If you want information on registering, or where to stay overnnight, please email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com

28 Comments:

Blogger Back Achres said...

Jenna--have you thought about including non-alcoholic alternatives to the hard cider and night coffee? Not everyone drinks and some may have to drive afterwards. Sounds like a great schedule for a great fall week-end. I can feel the excitement build

July 23, 2011 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Jimmie said...

Boo Hoo!! I live too far away to attend. Can't wait to see the photos and read about everything.

Diane in North Carolina

July 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

This event is a great idea. But I am already busy with my wild edibles and medicinals class. Good luck.

July 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I wish we could be there. :( Fall is my absolute favorite time in NY, and it sounds like so much fun! If this one goes well will it become a Cold Antler annual tradition? We'd love to be able to attend in the future.

July 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger sueguzman said...

Wish I could make it. It's also the weekend of the NY Sheep and Wool Festival which is a fall staple for us

July 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM  
Blogger City Girl said...

How exciting, Jenna! I won't be able to join you (this year) but know your guests will have a fabulous time! Thank goodness for people like you who bring communities together and share your knowledge with others! Cheers!

July 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Of course Back, there will be regular cider and coffee as well, sorry if that sounded too boozy.

July 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger sara amber said...

i might have to try to find a way to make this happen. laurel and i are heading up to sharon springs for the harvest festival in september...wonder if i could convince my car to make the drive up there again two weeks later.

July 23, 2011 at 10:49 PM  
OpenID notherethenwhere said...

I wish I could, but it's a bit far to get down there in the midst of teaching. Maybe next time, though - sounds like a grand time!

July 23, 2011 at 11:57 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

This sounds so awesome! Have you had any Canadians at any of your workshops yet? :)

July 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Attendees can also jump down to Rhinebeck and visit the Dutchess County Sheep and Wool Festival. Sheep and fall colors make for a great Fall weekend.

http://www.sheepandwool.com/

July 24, 2011 at 1:36 AM  
OpenID barntalkblog said...

I wish I could come!

-Autumn

July 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

One more thing J - (sorry for the unsolicited advice)...don't pay half of anything to anyone until work has been done. If he buys material, pay for that when it shows up on your land...pay him his labor charges when he is done each day or however you have arranged. I trust people...but I have been in situations and learned not to give up money up front for anything. Best of the luck with the shed.

July 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM  
OpenID pawsfurme said...

Oooooh please have it again next year!! Between the meat bird class (which was awesome and sooo worth the trip!) and a work conference coming up in a couple of months, I can't swing too many short work weeks this fall.

July 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Is it kid and teen friendly? It sounds like fun!!!!

July 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Jenna, I sure wished you lived closer :)

July 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Gelfling said...

I so wish we could make it for this...

July 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Sounds wonderful- wish I could come!

July 24, 2011 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

This is such a fantastic idea! It's going to be great fun! If I could, I'd bring my guitar and croon under the stars, but alas, I'll instead be joining all the people here who will be pining away the night wishing we were there. 76666

July 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

No children can come, sorry. Nt unless they are infants attached to your body, but anything that can walk around by itself, toddler on up to signing a legal waiver age, can not come to farm events. Too many ways to get hurt here!

July 25, 2011 at 6:05 AM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

Well apparently my timing stinks. Not only am I unavailable for your rabbit workshop, but I'll be in Florida for business during the middle of October. I'd much rather be in upstate New York enjoying the fall sights.

With all of the "things" going on at your farm, have you thought about your insurance coverages? It might make since for you to add an umbrella to your home owners/renters policy. It basically provides additional coverage for anything that might occur on or off your land. Just something to think about. (unless of course you ask everyone to sign a waiver, in which case you may not need anything additional)

July 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

how is Jasper's training going?

Can you tell us a little more about Brett's woodlot management experience or background?

July 25, 2011 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jasper's training is on hold while I wait to order propery-fitted equipment

Brett got his first axe at age four and is now a forestry professor, and director of the Adirondack Woodsmen’s School.

July 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Count me in. I'll hop on PayPal and make it official. I spent many weekends backpacking with my parents and brother at Merck Forest as a tot and will be interested to see it again after all this time.

July 25, 2011 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Today's Albany Times Union had a great story about Brett and the Woodsmen's School - http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/No-walls-to-stare-at-in-this-class-1576291.php

July 25, 2011 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

That's him! Thanks Diane!

July 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger Roe said...

Jenna - This sounds so darn great! I am really hoping to come but am afraid to commit just yet. I would really love nothing more than to hang out at Jenna's Place! and see the animals and buy some yarn and hear the fiddle, and try the cider, etc. :)

July 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

I wish I was not so far away because there are too many mouths depending on me. It would be wonderful if I could attend. I will look forward to your reviews afterward.

July 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home