Wednesday, July 27, 2011

all better then

I was just coming back from a bad jog (some are just bad) when I saw Ken's truck backing into the driveway. Ken's my new farrier, and he comes armed. His big metal truck has everything one needs to see to the needs of the equine pedicure. I called Jasper to the horse gate, and he came down the hill at a fast trot. (He's more reliable at a distanced recall than Gibson.) Jasper was fussy, but good enough to work with him. Ken said he could use more regular trimming on his feet, but his body condition was good. I asked him if he knew anyone else with working ponies in our county and he mentioned some folks with Haflingers in Dorset, but as far as everyday harness ponies go, no. His response made me feel scrappy in a good way. Like I was figuring out a little engine for a radio flyer so I didn't have to push it up hills. I like the idea of my ATP.

This morning marked the last morning of Pidge's Corrid treatment. She and Lisette are now back with the flock and the pen was shut behind them, waiting for the weekend to be mucked and prepared for Atlas. Lisette put on some substantial weight. Her ribs can't be seen anymore, her back hip bones no longer jut like folded wings. I was happy to see it. Long as she has plenty to eat and some more grain from here she should continue to heal.

Sal is no longer limping. Amazing, actually. He walked right up to me this morning and I scratched his head. I told him I was happy to see that business shaken off. Then he saw the oral syringe for Pidge, worried it was for him, and scuttled off. I shook a branch of the apple tree and a small bounty fell and rolled down the hill. He seemed elated, forgetting a world with sharp pointy things for a moment.

For just twelve sheep and one pony, my mornings and evenings are full. Keeping them well means regular visits from folks like Ken and, in some cases, special care. Last week I had one sheep getting antibiotics, another dewormer, another Corrid, and another extra grain. It takes equipment and the will to just give a sheep a shot, but also that first medicine: everyday observation. Know your flock, know what healthy is, and keep watch like a black and white dog would.

It'll be warm again today. Everyone has plenty of water and eats.
This girl is off to work to enjoy the gym and a hot shower.

10 Comments:

Blogger daisy said...

Sounds like a lot to remember. How DO you do it? ;0)

July 27, 2011 at 7:32 AM  
OpenID barntalkblog said...

Even my great aunt couldn't handle 12 sheep and a pony! Heck, I couldn't do that! (Or at least yet!)

Can we see some pictures of the sheep again sometimes soon? They are pretty cute!

-Autumn

July 27, 2011 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Jimmie said...

Glad all is well on the home front again. Stay cool today, if possible.

Diane in North Carolina

July 27, 2011 at 8:06 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

That's absolutely the best advice. If you're attentive, you nip a whole lot of problems in the bud! I often like to take a really long time on morning and evening rounds, just to take a good hard look at everyone.

July 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

"just twelve sheep and one pony" for almost everyone else, "just" doesn't belong in that sentence. I wish a good day to all of you.

July 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

I don't recommend his remedy but I had to laugh when I red your "runs" story! My dad used to tell us a story about one of his milch cows that had the runs most of her life. He said he would run behind her with the big shovel to catch her plops as she entered the barn, to avoid as intense clean up after milking. One day my grandmother was hanging out the wash and that cow got into her starch pan and drank it all. She never had the runs again. My dad was so full of funny farm stories. I just thought you could enjoy one of them. Your blog inspires me. We live on a small farm in Texas.

July 27, 2011 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Campbell Kids said...

Sounds like a busy day to me! You have a gym and showers at your work?! Cool...

July 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Sol said...

gosh thats a lot of work.

July 27, 2011 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger goatldi said...

Sounds like another day on a farm. Always judge your flock or herd on your eye. Leave nothing to chance. In other words "if Mama ain't happy, no one is".

July 27, 2011 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger beccaWA said...

I usually follow along fairly well.... but I missed it. Who's Atlas????

July 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home