Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Updates on the Fall Workshop

I'm getting more and more excited about this Fall Backyard Farming Workshop! Folks are emailing me with interest from California, Arkansas, Maine, and more. It's starting to morph into something larger than I anticipated and I think it will be two days now, the 15th and 16th of October. Both days will run from LOAM-4PM, and Sunday afternoon we'll take a field trip to Merck Forest to see their sustainability projects and heritage livestock operation. Brett and I discussed having a full woodlot management section complete with tree selection, felling, and the proper hand tools. He'll bring his equipment along for attaching lighter trees and Jasper pulling them out of the woods to be chopped down. I decided to add a basic cheese making class, and Carleen Madigan (Author of the Backyard Homestead) offered to sign everyone's copy of the book! Saturday night there will be an Autumn campfire with mountain music and stories.

Children are not welcome, I'm sorry. But with so many large animals, electric fences, rusty old barbed wire, and the fuss of the day: it's too dangerous. Same goes for dogs, again, sorry.

Here's the line up of classes so far:

Chicken Basics
Sheep Basics
Beekeeping Basics
Cheese making
Backyard Lumberjackin'
Hand Wool Processing
Canning
Pumpkin Carving (for saturday night campfire lanterns!)
Bread making from Scratch
Turkey Slaughter (maybe)
Book and Yarn Sales
Merck Forest Field Trip
Winter Greens/extended growing
And More!

To sign up, you need to email me (jenna@itsafarwalk.com) and make your donation to the farm. Once payment is received via PayPal you are confirmed. It's a first confirmed, first come system. The price will be $200 for the whole weekend, including all food. and if you already paid at the one-day rate, you are welcome to make the additional donation or not. It's a way to support this farm, and feed my dream and long-term goal, as well as learn a lot and enjoy the company of others of like mind. It might be the only place in town that weekend talking about Vermicomposting, too.

P.S. there are still openings for the Meat Rabbits August 7th and Sheep 101 on June 19th!, email if you are interested! And if you are coming to the Sheep Workshop, please let me know so I can start planing the food!

P.P.S. CAF updates come automatically via Twitter now, if you want to follow me there: twitter.com/coldantlerfarm

15 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

This sounds amazing! We are relocating from the Capital District to Atlanta, GA or else I totally would have signed up. Sad :-( But have an amazing time!

June 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger E said...

Each of these topics is for a whole day?

Way too much info to cover if you're thinking of doing them all at once...

June 8, 2011 at 10:17 AM  
OpenID mollymakesdo said...

I wish Iowa was a little closer...

June 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

It's not supposed to be a full course on any one thing, this is a basic demonstration on all these things. It will be split up into different sections and teachers, We'll spend an hour going through making cheese together in the kitchen if you don't want to watch the turkey slaughter going on at the same time. It's 1-2 hour classes with demonstrations, hands on wool and eggs, sheep and chickens. IF you are expecting to come and have a great time with great people and food: come. If you are expecting to leave with expert credentials, don't! This is two days of homesteading celebration and activities

June 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Kelpie and Collie said...

I think your workshops are a great thing Jenna, but when do you actually just sit down, either by yourself or your loved ones, and just enjoy your farm? I know you are young and have the missionary fervor, but if you don't slow down and smell the roses, what's the purpose of it all? Just looking out for your sanity girl.

June 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

The workshops are what help keep me on this farm. I need to earn an extra so much a month to stay here, and to have enough saved for winter.

I live alone, and spend all my mornings and evenings with the animals or my fiddle. Someday, I will have more time to do just that Kelpie if I keep my head down and keep saving and working, but these are the salad years...

June 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Jenna your weekend workshop sounds great!! I'm so glad to see you taking the potential of a smallholding on to the value added level and keeping it affordable too! You go, girl!! Before you know it you will be self sustaining from your own efforts and no longer needing the off-the-farm employment!!

June 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger mmgreenough said...

I hope you continue to hold these workshops in the future! I would love to join this Fall Workshop fun, but it just doesn't work for me right now. Hope you and all that attend have a fabulous time :-)

June 8, 2011 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger shepherdkelly said...

jenna,
You need a recipe section!

June 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger shepherdkelly said...

a cookbook of things you make. I'd buy that :)

June 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I'm posting my pulled pork tomorrow!

June 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Bountiful Roses said...

Jenna, I wish I were closer. I would greatly enjoy it! However, you have inspired me to do more with my Urban Farm

June 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Helenistic said...

As a recent workshop attendee, I can vouch that Jenna's workshops are both fun and informative.

In addition to the lessons, I ate delicious farm-raised food, hung out by the campfire listening to live music and met some great people. It was a very inspiring day and definitely worth the trip.

I learned a tremendous amount in a short time, thanks to Jenna's instructions.

Great job, Jenna! Hopefully, I'll get to attend another workshop in the future.

June 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Sounds like a great line up I wish I could come. Maybe you ought to go into video production and then sell DVDs of your workshops. Another way to fund the farm maybe.

June 10, 2011 at 1:36 AM  
Blogger annabanana said...

Oh! I so wish I wouldn't be a poor grad student living in Wisconsin!!
This workshop sounds amazing!
BTW I stumble upon your blog through your Barnheart article. Thanks: I now have a word to describe what my hubby calls my "little obsession" with homesteading! :) That is exactly how I feel: Dreaming of a future farm :)

June 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home