Monday, June 20, 2011

tired

Finally inside from an evening of work that started at 5:30 and kept me going nearly four hours. Nothing of great import went down, but it sure was a lot of maintaining and everyday business. Hay was taken off the truck and set by the side of the house, out of any possible rain. The fence was acting wonky, so I walked the line looking for places where metal might touch electric wires. Water was taken to nearly-empty tubs, lawn mowed, hedges trimmed, dinner was cooked on the grill. I have been getting into this routine of non-stop work in my waking hours, and it seems to be the only time I truly focus when I'm not writing. I do the work, and when I step back onto the road and look at the place, it looks like sheep eating by a fence, a truck parked, and a normal lawn. I wonder if people driving by know it takes an army inside a woman to keep it from tumbling into a wreck.

Very sore and tired tonight. Looking forward to a good night's sleep with my black dog.

P.S. Thank you Brett, I must say that was the most unique gift anyone has ever sent me for a pre-birthday present. I'll put it to good use, eventually!

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

"I wonder if people driving by know it takes an army inside a woman to keep it from tumbling into a wreck."
PREACH IT SISTER! As the Farm Chick in Chief and Queen of the Yard Machines for our home I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying!
Lisa

June 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

I hear that. My right arm-y and my left arm-y, we never stop! Treading water most days but sometimes there's a break or a burst of productivity and you step back and realize how different things look from 2 years, 1 year, six months ago, and then rays of euphoria breaks through the clouds of exhaustion. Or something like that. I think that was the wine typing :)

June 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Axeboy said...

Glad you got it Jenna. We'll put it to work real soon~ keep in touch. /B

June 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I feel the same way. As a senior who lives alone, I know the feeling of barely being able to drag yourself to the bed after a "yard work" day. These days it takes two work days to get it done. Such a feeling of accomplishment to know you've done it yourself. Thank goodness you have youth on your side!

June 20, 2011 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I'm with ya, Jenna - and it's always the most extreme weather that necessitates the most labor-intensive maintenance. We're hovering at 100 degrees, so Job One is keeping the sheep, alpacas and chickens cool and hydrated. I'm fortunate to have a friend who loves farm chores. She can be counted on a couple times a week to come pitch in with big jobs like scrubbing out the chicken coop, or trimming alpaca toenails, or brushing the Great Pyrs' winter coats out.

Don't know how you do it alone - I'm not sure I'd make it!

June 20, 2011 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger Midlife Traveller said...

I hear that, too. i don't think *I* ever appreciated how much work it takes to keep a farm looking neat and tidy!!

June 20, 2011 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

“Army inside a woman to keep it from tumbling into a wreck,” well said—even on my little rental I’m feeling the twinge of all day gardening and other small animal maintenance tasks plus some horse care today in the 100 degree heat-I’m not used to the desert’s brutality yet and am stills amazed by it. Sitting down with an Arizona merlot and the mandolin, a combination I’m sure will ease the shoulder tension. Sleep well-

June 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

You know, it's a funny thing. I've been working on this chicken coop for several days, and today I quit close to six, thinking I was done for the day.. Well, my back was done for the day. But my husband was mowing the lawn and weed eating and all that, and I thought, maybe I'll just take the hoe to that bed that's been bugging me. And it worked! All my back needed was a stand up job, not a hunch over job, and I got one more thing done today!

June 21, 2011 at 12:55 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

In that way, homesteading is like dressage--for it to be beautiful on the outside, there must be a thousand unseen little things going on inside.

June 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Colorado Girl said...

I just don' t know how you accomplish so much, all on your own!!!!

June 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home